Password

Album Review

Aiden - Some Kind of Hate Album Cover

Aiden - Some Kind of Hate

Reviewed by
Aiden - Some Kind of Hate
Record Label: Victory Records
Release Date: October 25, 2011
"Some Kind of Hate is a record that encompasses everything we have been enduring these last few years."
- William Francis, lead singer of Aiden.

Aiden are the type of band who seems to reinvent themselves with every release. But unlike many bands, each of these reinventions feels “real”, and isn’t done as a result of label pressure, or an attempt to hop on a popular trend. This, their sixth studio album doesn’t feature a complete shift in sound, but instead builds on previous methods, specifically the gothic rock style they explored on their last record Disguises.

It has been a mistake in the past to judge Aiden by the company they keep. Seeing the band listed on bills alongside bands such as Vampires Everywhere! might cause a person to write the band off as a gimmicky flash in the pan, but Aiden are far from any gimmick. No songs about mythical monsters here, just pure, honest emotion. In a discography that ranges from slow and somber, to fast and aggressive, Some Kind of Hate fits right about in the middle, with a sound that appears to be the most natural for the band.

This album finds the band inserting intros at the beginning of several songs, a tactic heard slightly on their previous record, but used more prominently on this one.
For example: Opening track “There Will Be Blood” starts off with a quote from the movie Gladiator: “I knew a man once who said: “Death smiles at us all”, All a man can do is smile back”. Such a quote is a near perfect introduction to the dark nature of this album. Track #5 “Deactivate” intros with a man describing the nature of his heroin addiction, a chilling catharsis that likely mirrors the pain that surrounded lead singer Will Francis’ previous vices.

One thing that listeners have almost always found conflict in with this band is their lyrics, and this album is no different, as controversial lyrics are scattered throughout. “Irony In The Shadows” sees Francis asking the listener “What if there was no hell? What if there was no heaven to sell?”, and on “Freedom From Religion”, he makes his views perfectly clear: “We need freedom from religion now”.

The majority of the album is original material, but this release sees the band paying tribute to their influences on two instances. On track #4, the band takes on The Misfits “London Dungeon”, while track #7 features a respectable cover of Joy Division’s “Transmission”. Two cover songs on an album may be a bit much, but since they don't sound out of place, and retain the spirit of the original tracks, they're certainly welcome.

Clocking in at just under a half hour, this release will no doubt leave fans hungry for more, and it will be interesting to see what direction they take when the time for more comes.

Recommended If You Likehorror punk; gothic rock; The Misfists

http://myspace.com/aiden
This review is a user submitted review from John_Barnes. You can see all of John_Barnes's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
02:05 AM on 02/06/12
Kub1-k
User Info.
Nice review, good job! Aiden gets way too much hate most of the time, but Some Kind of Hate is a solid album.
06:30 AM on 02/06/12
Miketheunicycle
"Look mom, no hands!"
User Info.
besides the covers this release is pretty good. this album feels a little more rushed than usual, to get off victory, but it begs to see where they go next
02:06 PM on 02/07/12
Nexus Strife
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hell no.

I'll admit that I kinda like Our Gang's Dark Oath, but they are truly awful.
01:17 PM on 02/13/12
the seventeenth
level 71 community member
User Info.
Problem is that most of the users on this website don't take the time out of their day to give these guys an honest listen or two. Disguises showed the band's immense potential being excercised beautifully. Sure their edgey lyrics and once-used gimmicks can put people off, but to deny the talent this band has is downright ridiculous. Don't judge a book by it's cover.
SKOH was pretty decent, but you can tell that the band's focus on departing Victory was highly influential (equal parts the addition of covers to extend the amount of material on the disc, and how short the album actually was). Definitely had some great songs though. Good review.
06:03 PM on 08/05/12
Zev Frazer
Zev Frazer
User Info.
Hell no.

I'll admit that I kinda like Our Gang's Dark Oath, but they are truly awful.

i agree. thats why i gave the album a 34
01:40 PM on 09/22/12
Nexus Strife
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
That's above average though, this band is not.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos