AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Facebook News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Pre-Liking is Kinda Lame

Posted by - 12:43 PM on 02/04/12
I get the marketing reason behind it -- but I really am getting tired of having to "like" a band in order to hear music. I'll like something once I like it. I prefer less friction when trying to hear new music. Maybe it's just me. Anyone else with me?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 120
12:45 PM on 02/04/12
georgedcc
User Info.
Yup, I agree. Unless its someone I really like, I never like a band's Facebook in order to hear new music.
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
I think everyone's with you.
I don't have an issue if their newest song or something is needing to be Liked, but to have all 5-10 songs on your player need that? That's just counterintuitive to me
asthenia*
Never to see any other way...
User Info.
i totally agree. i actually usually refuse to like a bands music on facebook. it rubs me the wrong way, slash seems sneaky. it feels like they're trying to make themselves seem more popular or something
12:46 PM on 02/04/12
Yellowcard2006
I'll buy you a raincoat
User Info.
Never really mattered to me because the "unlike" button is just a few inches away.
12:46 PM on 02/04/12
Roboman
Don't Mind If I Didn't
User Info.
I've never actually done this...don't think I ever will.
12:47 PM on 02/04/12
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
i won't "like" a band on facebook until i've actually heard their music and like it in real life. if all of a band's music is locked until i like it, i am not going to listen to it.
12:47 PM on 02/04/12
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
It's not just you. And most the time, if a band sends me an email to check them out and make me have to "like" the page, I just won't listen. It's a pain in the ass and really turns me off from the band if they are that desperate for likes.

Also, from my friends that have done it and the several that I did before it annoyed me, they almost always turn out awful.
12:48 PM on 02/04/12
somattrightnow
soundcloud.com/kilsonmusic
User Info.
like everything else in life...

if we just ignore facebook. it WILL go away
12:48 PM on 02/04/12
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
With you. Most bands I actually like won't do it, but No Trigger's single was the first band that had music I really wanted to hear so I just liked it, and I liked the song a lot. But still, for smaller bands that are streaming, you shouldn't hinder someone hearing your music (in my opinion).

I think "liking" for a download of your latest single or something seems a lot more intuitive.
12:49 PM on 02/04/12
CastlesXClouds
Relax
User Info.
amen brotha.
12:49 PM on 02/04/12
pulsar
User Info.
It pisses me off as a promoter when I get messaged by a band wanting a show, and when I click on their link to check them out I'm supposed to "Like" them first. Bands: if you're trying to get booked, just give me a link where I can listen to your band without having to jump through hoops.
12:56 PM on 02/04/12
mbarney82
User Info.
it pisses me off so much. at least youtube still works and some songs arent taken down yet
iheartmusic043
KKCO
User Info.
Never agreed with a news/post on this site more.
Jason Tate
User Info.
Never really mattered to me because the "unlike" button is just a few inches away.
Hidden at the bottom though -- and if the band has 80 apps installed, I find myself scrolling down to unlike ... so the process is: like > click the app/tab > listen to song > unlike.

That experience sucks, IMO. Especially if I'm doing it multiple times a day to listen to new bands.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos