Username
Password
Say Anything News - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 62.
07:39 PM on 02/04/12
thesinkingship
Can't get that engine turned over
User Info.
haha settle down, toolbox. i wasn't talking about the theme of anarchy in the lyrics so much as the overall sound.

"It's a white-knuckled, sore-throated, open-hearted call to arms"
"Your voice sounds so much more raw than it has in a long time."
"
on this one we were going for a Stones/Stooges/Clash feel"
"as if we were doing it live."
"Refused and At the Drive-In were two really big bands for me,"

There are similar descriptions of the music as being driving, rocking, etc. in the other interview with (I think) AltPress. I remember specifically him saying something about the songs being the first he was really excited about playing live since IARB and being anthemic and whatever else.

also, the lyrics that I did choose to mention still have nothing to do with any sort of interpretation of anarchy, including his. you sound like a giant sack of douche
All these quotes sound fitting to me.

I guess I didn't realize how dim people can be. Thank you for showing me.
07:41 PM on 02/04/12
thesinkingship
Can't get that engine turned over
User Info.
i've always thought that i was a bemis fanboy, but now i've met sinkingship.

Trust me, I'm no fan boy. I'm just amazed at how ignorant people like you can be. I'm not trying to defend the album which I find to be pretty average, nothing special. I just don't see how people feel manipulated by how Max as spoken about this record. The majority of his comments concerning the album seem spot on to me. The only exception are a few quotes early in the recording process and honestly I think that can be attributed to the recording process just going in a different direction than he originally envisioned.
07:47 PM on 02/04/12
CarouselBoy
Not everything, not yet
User Info.
strange how different the consensus on the album from this site is compared to how Max feels about it. Ive only heard two songs, waiting for the actual release to check this out. All the negative feedback is discouraging though
07:56 PM on 02/04/12
syntax omitted
User Info.
everytime thesinkingship comments a thread, a puppy dies
08:19 PM on 02/04/12
defy_stars
midnight nuisance
User Info.
everytime thesinkingship comments a thread, a puppy dies
08:31 PM on 02/04/12
DandonTRJ
~~~ヾ(^∇^
User Info.
strange how different the consensus on the album from this site is compared to how Max feels about it. Ive only heard two songs, waiting for the actual release to check this out. All the negative feedback is discouraging though
It's a solid record; more slower songs than expected in the middle, but some high-energy cuts at the start to compensate. Also, the last track is phenomenal. One of my favorite songs they've ever written.

I think people are just thrown off by Max being generally content with life.
09:30 PM on 02/04/12
notmrblond234
let's make a movie or something
User Info.
Good interview. I think people are being wayyyy too critical about this album though. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece, I was just expecting a really good Say Anything album, which is exactly what I got. I think if Bemis actually did release something as good as IARB most people would be too busy being overcritical. Haters gonna hate whether or not they have a good reason to, and in this case, I don't really think there's much to hate on.
10:55 PM on 02/04/12
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.
While i've liked the past 2 releases, this album reminds me very much of the S/t.
10:56 PM on 02/04/12
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.
I love the album (for different reasons than I originally fell in love with the band, however), but I'm still so confused why Max is marketing this album as a big loud, anthemic, punk record. There are a few songs that fit the bill, but otherwise he's pretty much setting people up for disappointment.

I mean, if he came out and said "it's a mostly a fun, mid-tempo jam record, with a few hard-hitting songs" then he'd put everybody's expectations in the right place and possibly gain more fans of the album. My major gripe with this album was the surprise upon first listen of it NOT being anything like described.

But I guess you have to build hype for the record any way you can.
Nailed it!
03:40 AM on 02/05/12
hectorial85
Saved The Day
User Info.
I like the album. Its another grower like S/T. I can always enjoy SA though. I love letting the lyrics sink in over time.
03:53 AM on 02/05/12
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Album's good, still think it's easily their worst though. Could have used a couple more faster/harder tracks to liven it up a little.
05:35 AM on 02/05/12
JinxRemoving
User Info.
I actually really liked this new album...
I'm with you. It's grown on me a lot.
06:21 AM on 02/05/12
SuNDaYSTaR
[Pull The Trigger]
User Info.
I can't wait to see these guys in Montreal.
Holy crap you just made my day. Didn't know they were coming here.
06:48 AM on 02/05/12
BigAl
Here, have a sword.
User Info.
Holy crap you just made my day. Didn't know they were coming here.
Yes sir! It's going to be awesome.
09:04 AM on 02/05/12
hotrod
2 legit 2 quit
User Info.
the record is pretty raw, so i guess that might be what he's talking about. rawness=punk or whatever.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums