All Posts by User
Displaying user's 8 posts
12:22 PM on 02/08/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
02:22 PM on 02/08/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
The Grammys have focused their performances on bringing together unlikely collaboration partners for years and years now. Remember Elton and Eminem? Beyonce and Prince? Foo Fighters and Chick Corea? It's led to some cool results. People are weird.
Nah, don't remember any of those because The Grammys suck.

It's The Beach Boys. Bastardizing this with fucking Maroon 5 is criminal.
02:28 PM on 02/08/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
A. Maroon 5 are a shockingly good live act. Better than The Beach Boys have ever been. (Talking strictly live. Obviously The Beach Boys are legends).

B. For you and so many other people who don't care about the Grammys and that this is what their performances are about, why do you even give a fuck?
A) So? No idea what that has to do with anything. It's Maroon 5 and Foster the People. They don't belong on the same stage.

B) Because maybe I'd care about the Grammys if they didn't do things like this ... or just circle jerk for national television.
02:38 PM on 02/08/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
A.) We're talking about a live performance. Don't see how that could not be relevant.

B.) Yeah, fostering collaboration between different generations and genres of artists is a horrible idea. Give me a break. It's the one interesting thing the Grammys ever do. Foo Fighters' "Times Like These" has never sounded better than it did with Chick Correa and Timberlake's "Senorita" was 10x better with Arturo Sandoval ripping a trumpet solo. It lets older artists get a chance to shine in front of younger audiences.
A) Because it's Maroon 5. Them being a great live band means nothing. Their ability live is not why this sucks.

B) In many cases - it is a horrible idea. The exception only proves the rule. Foo Fighter's song sounds better by itself BTW. And Correa sounds better alone as well.
02:43 PM on 02/08/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Get off my lawn!

-Jason Tate

Also, on a more academic note: how does an exception prove a rule? I've never understood that idiom whatsoever.
"Give awards to deserving artists." - Jason Tate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excepti...roves_the_rule
02:56 PM on 02/08/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
You mean like Arcade Fire, Esperanza Spalding, The Black Keys, The Roots, Sade, Cee Lo, Jay-Z, John Legend, Alicia Keys, Ali Farka Toure, Herbie Hancock, Buddy Guy, Ray Lamontagne and the legendary Mavis Staples? And that was just last year.
That just proves my point ... all ridiculously "of course they're going to fucking win" artists with a few minor exceptions. Arcade Fire's "Album of the Year" was such a shock because of how different that was than the usual, more of that - then I'll care.

So, no, I don't mean like them - I mean deserving artists that aren't everywhere you turn your head, but actually deserve recognition. But that's not what award shows like these are about. And that's why they suck. You just named a list of bands with record sales in the combined 10s of millions - that's just proving my point for me.
03:05 PM on 02/08/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
I'm pretty sure you don't know a lot of those artists then. Staples won her first Grammy in a half-century-long career. And she, Spalding, Hancock, Guy, Lamontagne, The Roots and Toure don't move many records in the grand scheme. You can say they overlook a lot of deserving music, and I'd agree with you. Of course they do. But they also give out a lot of deserved awards to go with a lot of shitty ones. Which is more or less the way any awards show in the history of existence works.
I know she won her first Grammy, I know who she is ... also one of the exceptions in a "deserving" category for "best americana album" -- but she should have won years ago. Proving my point.

It's not even close 50/50 - and a good majority of the "deserving" awards are never seen because we're too busy zooming in on a red carpet of Beibers and Gagas.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos