Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 9 posts.
06:28 AM on 02/10/12
ChaseTx
Entitled user
User Info.
What do Of mice and men, Dance Gavin Dance, Alexisonfire, and My Ticket Home all have in common ? They all had superb, unique clean vocalists that left the band - reducing my interest substantially or even caused the demise of the band. I'm glad he's being honest but I can't understand why there are so many talented musicians out there who just fucking blow it by doing drugs.
Except DGD got exponentially better after Jonny left. Unless you're referring to Kurt.
07:26 AM on 02/10/12
ChaseTx
Entitled user
User Info.
This is obviously not the place to discuss this, but I've heard this sentiment over and over and over again. I like Kurt, he seems like a very nice guy. But vocally, he isn't even in the same ballpark as Jonny Craig. He simply is not. This idea held by a small minority of people is a product of a strong dislike (certainly founded) of Craig's personality. But to assert that DGD got better after Craig left the band and Travis joined, is preposterous.
Actually it's the more common consensus among actual music fans. Casual listeners usually are the ones to say Jonny is better. I'll concede that Jonny has more outright vocal skill, but he sings without much passion, which Kurt has in abundance. Who honestly thinks DBM 1 or 2 is better in any way than the s/t or Happiness? Kurt's emotional lyrics and delivery gave the band direction. Jonny's lack of lyrical skill and emotion renders him just another instrument, making those two albums a display of aimless (though talented) musical expression with little explicit meaning.

But, yeah, off-topic.
07:57 AM on 02/10/12
ChaseTx
Entitled user
User Info.
I strongly disagree with your evaluation of who DGD fans prefer at lead. There is a reason why DGD's third album bombed (and the group dismissed Travis then after) and the fourth album was a success. Although Craig does seem dispassionate at times (particularly on DTBM2), you can't possibly stand by that statement when listening to the first album and the EP. Lyrically, yes, Craig blows. But Travis isn't that much better. Consider this,

Not exactly introspective, wouldn't you agree?

You can have the last word, because as you said, this isn't the place for this debate.
Agree to disagree then... though personally, I don't see how you can listen to those albums and think DBM is best, especially if you work on a music site. It may have been more successful (an artist's debut usually does become their most popular) but popular opinion from people who actually listen is that the next two albums were infinitely better. And those aren't the lyrics to judge Kurt by... it's a bit like judging Nas by "Oochie Wally" or Blink by "Ben Wah Balls"

Wasn't the self-titled already written, lyrically, before Kurt got there?
No way, Jonny only writes about sex haha. Kurt wrote those lyrics about relationship problems he was having.

Last DGD comment ahaha
10:07 AM on 02/10/12
ChaseTx
Entitled user
User Info.
Doesn't say that it's drugs does it? I mean maybe I misheard, but it sounded pretty vague. Could be family issues, health problems, etc.
10:09 AM on 02/10/12
ChaseTx
Entitled user
User Info.
I agree with everything you've been saying. I feel that people often claim Kurt as the better vocalist just to be different or to root for the "underdog". I guarantee that if you were to show a room of people a Jonny track off of DBM1 and a Kurt track the majority would say that Jonny is the better singer. That's not to say I don't like Kurt as his contributions were excellent and I am eagerly awaiting ALLB CD in the mail.
I hate to refer to one of the thousands of discussions on this ancient topics, but: http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthre...t= kurt+jonny
10:29 AM on 02/10/12
ChaseTx
Entitled user
User Info.
I always have something else to say on that subject... Urg holding tongue now. :-X

Anyway my on topic comment:

Doesn't say that it's drugs does it? I mean maybe I misheard, but it sounded pretty vague. Could be family issues, health problems, etc.
11:28 AM on 02/10/12
ChaseTx
Entitled user
User Info.
People are saying things i want to agree (MG+DGD) with but don't want to stay off topic!

Hope this guy gets better, glad to see everything's ok!
02:06 PM on 02/10/12
ChaseTx
Entitled user
User Info.
read the q/a mark had a few days ago on reddit.
being drugged on one occasion isn't doing drugs.
02:29 PM on 02/10/12
ChaseTx
Entitled user
User Info.
if Joel Piper full-times w/ OM&M, I foresee a possible Jerry Roush situation arising.
As long as Jerry Roush doesn't arise.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests