AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Legal News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Music Label Joint Venture, Vevo, Caught Pirating NFL Game

Posted by - 11:02 AM on 02/10/12
Looks like Vevo, a music label joint venture for music videos, got caught illegally streaming an NFL game at a Sundance party. While the hypocrisy is ridiculously ripe - I think it also points out just how much easier piracy can be than legal options. Odds of any legal ramifications for the executives involved?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 32
11:02 AM on 02/10/12
Tadg30
Often hated, never duplicated.
User Info.
Vevo La Revolution.
11:05 AM on 02/10/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Gah. Big deal, was it one of the private parties?? More importantly then, who ratted out? I was in Park City last week during Sundance and the place was a fucking zoo

Doubt there will be any legal ramifications, just scolding. If they really went for it this would be a massive clusterfuck.
11:08 AM on 02/10/12
Ryan Dennehy
11:09 AM on 02/10/12
fearthesloths
blown from the hinge
User Info.
the music industry being hypocritical? well i never!
11:11 AM on 02/10/12
fearthesloths
blown from the hinge
User Info.
Gah. Big deal, was it one of the private parties?? More importantly then, who ratted out? I was in Park City last week during Sundance and the place was a fucking zoo

Doubt there will be any legal ramifications, just scolding. If they really went for it this would be a massive clusterfuck.
the big deal is that these are the same companies that sue the shit out of people for exactly the same thing? why should they get a free pass?
11:13 AM on 02/10/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
the big deal is that these are the same companies that sue the shit out of people for exactly the same thing? why should they get a free pass?
This.

To quote from one of the articles: "Unless, and I’m quite serious about this, the copyright laws apply to everyone, then they shouldn’t apply to anyone. The only way for the legislators and copyright holders who are fighting for tougher copyright laws to maintain any credibility whatsoever is for them to pursue any and all violators, even their own, as aggressively as they pursue everyone else."

So very true.
11:16 AM on 02/10/12
esposimi
Genesis Does what Nintendon't
User Info.
They didn't have Cable TV at the venue? Or, just stick an antenna outside and run a connection to the TV's FOR FREE.
11:23 AM on 02/10/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.

Point taken. Vevo killed YouTube for me anyway.
11:31 AM on 02/10/12
reid
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The NFL doesn't take these things lightly, either. They are historically vicious in their protecting their trademarks (for instance, a movie theatre in Tampa was offering free admission to watch Bucs games at the their theatre with the game on the big screens for a couple weeks until the NFL caught wind - St Petersburg Times 2001)
11:40 AM on 02/10/12
Capulet
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The NFL doesn't take these things lightly, either. They are historically vicious in their protecting their trademarks (for instance, a movie theatre in Tampa was offering free admission to watch Bucs games at the their theatre with the game on the big screens for a couple weeks until the NFL caught wind - St Petersburg Times 2001)
i dont understand that though. why are we aloud to watch it for free at home but not at a movie theater?
11:41 AM on 02/10/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
i dont understand that though. why are we aloud to watch it for free at home but not at a movie theater?
Basically some variation of this:

http://www.mpaa.org/contentprotectio...erformance-law
11:53 AM on 02/10/12
normitron
I'm better than you. Deal
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Then why aren't they suing the pants off of every sports bar ever?
11:58 AM on 02/10/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Then why aren't they suing the pants off of every sports bar ever?
Because they usually/probably got the rights to broadcast?
12:02 PM on 02/10/12
reid
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It's actually US Code Title 17,100 5 B II.

Quote:
if the performance or display is by audiovisual means, any visual portion of the performance or display is communicated by means of a total of not more than 4 audiovisual devices, of which not more than 1 audiovisual device is located in any 1 room, and no such audiovisual device has a diagonal screen size greater than 55 inches, and any audio portion of the performance or display is communicated by means of a total of not more than 6 loudspeakers, of which not more than 4 loudspeakers are located in any 1 room or adjoining outdoor space;

They need to amend that with the advent of 60"+ tv sizes.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos