Password

Album Review
Sleep Serapis Sleep - Paraih's Vow Album Cover

Sleep Serapis Sleep - Paraih's Vow

Reviewed by
Sleep Serapis Sleep - Pariah's Vow
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: September 3rd, 2011

I love death metal. Not many people can understand why, nor can I really explain it. While I do have my basic hardcore on my iPod (The Devil Wears Prada, Dream On Dreamer, etc.) and even some pop-punk (Artist vs Poet, All Time Low, etc.) there is just something about the ferocity of death metal that I find very appealing; that does not mean that I do not see its faults. A lot of it is generic and much of it is just noise, you cannot understand ANYTHING the vocalist is saying and neither are the lyrics anything you want to hear anyway.

Sleep Serapis Sleep's debut full length album (and last), Pariah's Vow, keeps many of these attributes. Yes, it is generic and yes, you cannot understand anything the vocalist is saying without the help of lyrics. That does not mean that I did not have fun listening to it. The whole album is very fast paced and it got me wanting to jump and start throwing down in the pits. With that being said, Pariah's Vow does become blended together. The album does give a bit of a break with the instrumental only slow song, "The Solace of Uncertainty", but even that is short lived and then you are thrown right back into the storm. The lyrics are also nothing special, but the production is very good. The drums and guitars can be heard very nicely and the vocals are also quite well done; from what little you can understand anyway.

Like I stated before, I love death metal, but even I get bored by the sameness of it. Pariah's Vow doesn't do anything to change this genre cliche, but it is one of the better death metal albums I have heard. Much of the genre is useless noise and contains lyrics that are just plain stupid and slightly disturbing (cumming blood onto a 12 year old girls face anyone?) So I am happy to see that Sleep Serapis Sleep at least tried to become respected within their genre and maybe even a bit outside their realm. It's a shame that they broke up because I would have liked to see where they would have gone in the future. Thankfully they have created a decent last record which I will continue to blast through my speakers for a little while longer.

Recommended If You LikeDeath Metal, Suicide Silence, Whitechapel, Deathcore, Bring Me the Horizon

LinksMyspace, Twitter, Facebook

Track Listing 1.Pariah's Vow
2.Lost In The Call
3.Cold-Blooded
4. 80 Proof Ocean
5. Confinement
6. Valediction
7. The Solace of Uncertainty
8. Indulgence
9. No Rest For the Ruthless
10. Maleficium

This review is a user submitted review from Niko John. You can see all of Niko John's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
08:50 PM on 02/20/12
AWOLmarshall
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I was at that final show. These guys will all be missed in our scene.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos