Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

AP.net Chat: Live Bloggin' The Grammy's

Posted by: Drew Beringer (02/12/12)
Tonight at 8PM EST is the 54th Annual Grammy's award show and I'll be live-blogging the telecast to give my fifteen cents on the winners, the losers, the performers, and everything else in between. This year's show has a dark cloud over it, as R&B legend Whitney Houston passed away the night before. There will be a tribute dedicated to her led by Jennifer Hudson and other artists that haven't been announced yet. This will be the second tribute of the night, as the Grammy's will also pay their respects to the late Etta James, who passed in January.

Earlier today, Skrillex won three Grammy's, and he is also up for Best New Artist along with Bon Iver, Nicki Minaj, The Band Perry, and J. Cole. I'm sure most of us will be rooting for Bon Iver to come away with the award, but it'll be close with living Anime doll Minaj in the mix. I also think The Band Perry is the darkhorse for this award. Other than that, expect Adele to win a billion Grammy's tonight (she's basically a lock for Record, Album, and Song of the Year, as well as Best Pop Solo Performance), and the Foo Fighters' sweeping the rock categories (Update: so far they've won 4 Grammy's).

The AP.net users will probably be most interested in the Best Alternative Music Album category, as Death Cab For Cutie, Bon Iver, Foster The People, My Morning Jacket, and Radiohead will be vying for that award. If Bon Iver fails to capture a win in Best Song, Best Record, or Best New Artist, I fully expect this category to go to him as a consolation prize. Not bad for a guy from Eau Claire, Wisconsin (Update: Bon Iver has won Best Alternative Music Album).

And finally let's preview tonight's performers. I'm very much looking forward to Foo Fighters bringing down the house and seeing how Rihanna and Coldplay share the stage for a performance of "Princess of China." Paul McCartney will be performing, while Jason Aldean will be with Kelly Clarkson in either a duet or a hot wings eating contest, I can't remember which. Bruno Mars will bore us to death, Nicki Minaj will make weird faces at the camera while she attempts to rap, and the white knights of AP.net will gush over Taylor Swift. Lastly, our WTF performance of the night goes to the reunited Beach Boys collaborating with Foster The People and Maroon 5. It's pretty insulting to think that a timeless band like the Beach Boys sharing the stage with flavor-of-the-week Foster the People and the most-likely-will-be-shirtless Adam Levine. This is my early vote for worst performance of the night.

Anyways, I hope you stick around and join me in my running commentary of mocking/praising tonight's Grammy's. There may be some cameos from other staff members as well, so it should be a good time.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 1614
03:20 PM on 02/12/12
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Here will be a comprehensive list of tonight's winners
Grammy WinnersBest Remixed Recording, Non-Classical: Skrillex - "Cinema (Skrillex Remix)"

Best Gospel Song: Kirk Franklin - Hello Fear

Best Gospel Album: Kirk Franklin - Hello Fear

Best Latin Pop, Rock, or Urban Album: Maná- Drama Y Luz

Producer Of The Year, Classical: Judith Sherman

Best Classical Vocal Solo: Joyce DiDonato - Diva Divo

Best Reggae Album: Stephen Marley- Revelation Pt 1: The Root Of Life

Best Spoken Word Album: Betty White- If You Ask Me (And Of Course You Won't)

Best Musical Theater Album: The Book of Mormon

Best Dance Recording: Skrillex - Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites

Best Dance/Electronica Album: Skrillex - Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites

Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album: Tony Bennett

Congratulations to Best Short Form Music Video: Adele - "Rolling In the Deep" [Sam Brown, Hannah Chandler]

Best Long Form Music Video: Foo Fighters "Foo Fighters: Back And Forth" @foofighters [James Moll & Nigel Sinclair]

Best Jazz Vocal Album: Terri Lyne Carrington & Various Artists - The Mosaic Project

Best Bluegrass Album: Alison Krauss & Union Station - Paper Airplane

Best Blues Album: Tedeschi Trucks Band - Revelator

Best Rap/Sung Collaboration: Kanye West - "All Of The Lights (feat Fergie Kid Cudi, and Rihanna)"

Best Rap Song: Kanye West - "All Of the Lights"

Best Rap Album: Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Best Traditional R&B Performance: Cee-Lo Green and Melanie Fiona - "Fool For You"

Best R&B Song: Cee-Lo Green and Melanie Fiona - "Fool For You"

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance: Tony Bennett & Amy Winehouse - "Body and Soul"

Best Pop Vocal Album: Adele - 21

Best Country Solo Performance: Taylor Swift - "Mean"

Best Comedy Album: Louis C.K. - Hilarious

Producer Of The Year, Non-Classical: Paul Epworth

Best Country Duo/Group Performance: The Civil Wars - "Barton Hollow"

Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance: Foo Fighters - "White Limo"

Best Rock Song: Foo Fighters - "Walk"

Best Rock Album: Foo Fighters - Wasting Light

Best Alternative Music Album: Bon Iver - Bon Iver, Bon Iver

Best Pop Solo Performance: Adele

Best Rap Performance: Kanye West and Jay-Z - "Otis"

Best Rock Performance: Foo Fighters - "Walk"

Song of the Year: Adele - "Rolling In The Deep" [Adele Adkins & @PaulEpworth]

Best Country Album: Lady Antebellum - Own The Night

Best New Artist: Bon Iver

Record of the Year: Adele - "Rolling in the Deep"

Album of the Year: Adele - 21

03:23 PM on 02/12/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Here will be a comprehensive list of tonight's winners
Grammy WinnersCongratulations to 'Boardwalk Empire: Volume 1' for winning the GRAMMY for Best Compilation Soundtrack For Visual Media

Congrats to Best Remixed Recording, Non-Classical winner Skrillex for "Cinema (Skrillex Remix)"

Congratulations to Kirk Franklin for winning the GRAMMY for Best Gospel Song for "Hello Fear"

Congratulations to Best Gospel Album winner Kirk Franklin for Hello Fear

Congratulations to Best Latin Pop, Rock, or Urban Album winner Maná "Drama Y Luz"

Congratulations to Producer Of The Year, Classical winner Judith Sherman

Congratulations to Best Classical Vocal Solo winner Joyce DiDonato "Diva Divo"

Congratulations to Best Reggae Album winner Stephen Marley @stephenmarley1 "Revelation Pt 1: The Root Of Life"
What time you opening the thread for everyone? Wanna make sure I can harass you to start. Haha.
03:27 PM on 02/12/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Back in December, The Recording Academy announced that it would be honoring Steve Jobs with a Special Merit Grammy Award. The Trustees Award for Jobs was made in recognition of his contributions to the field of music with the iPod and iTunes Music Store.

The Grammy ceremony for the Special Merit Awards was held yesterday, and Apple senior vice president of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue was on hand to accept the award.
On behalf of Steve's wife, Laurene, his children, and everyone at Apple, I'd like to thank you for honoring Steve with the Trustees Grammy Award. Steve was a visionary, a mentor, and a very close friend. I had the incredible honor of working with him for the last fifteen years.

Accepting this award means so much to me because music meant so much to him. He told us that music shaped his life...it made him who he was. Everyone that knows Steve knows the profound impact that artists like Bob Dylan and The Beatles had on him.

Steve was focused on bringing music to everyone in innovative ways. We talked about it every single day. When he introduced the iPod in 2001, people asked "Why is Apple making a music player?" His answer was simple: "We love music, and it's always good to do something you love."

His family and I know that this Grammy would have been very special to him, so I thank you for honoring him today.

The Recording Academy has also published a brief tribute to Jobs by cellist Yo-Yo Ma, a 16-time Grammy winner and personal friend of Jobs.

Jobs' Grammy marks the second time he and Apple have been honored by The Recording Academy. Apple itself won a Technical Grammy Award in 2002.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/12/...ng-steve-jobs/
03:36 PM on 02/12/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.

Watching over the awards day and night. No more Skrillex ever.
03:37 PM on 02/12/12
Drew Beringer
User Info.
What time you opening the thread for everyone? Wanna make sure I can harass you to start. Haha.
will be opening the thread at 7:45 EST time, so 15 minutes before it airs.
03:41 PM on 02/12/12
Drew Beringer
User Info.
4 Grammy's for the Foos already and Bon Iver wins Best Alt Album!
03:42 PM on 02/12/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
4 Grammy's for the Foos already and Bon Iver wins Best Alt Album!
Nice. So. Soon? Haha. All the good awards I care aout basically already announced, before it even hits tv. . Go Bon Iver!
03:45 PM on 02/12/12
Drew Beringer
User Info.
Nice. So. Soon? Haha. All the good awards I care aout basically already announced, before it even hits tv. . Go Bon Iver!
yeah it's kind of a bummer. I'm excited to make fun of LL Cool J, Nicki Minaj, Pink, and everyone else though!
03:46 PM on 02/12/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
yeah it's kind of a bummer. I'm excited to make fun of LL Cool J, Nicki Minaj, Pink, and everyone else though!
Hahah. Me too. Watching 'Big Trouble in Little China' in the meantime.
03:51 PM on 02/12/12
sjb2k1
User Info.
it's sad but i bet whitney's death = huge ratings for this telecast.
03:57 PM on 02/12/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
The Foo Fighters and Bon Iver wins don't add up to canceling out skillet chicken yet.
03:59 PM on 02/12/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Where's Jeremy Linn?
04:01 PM on 02/12/12
AgainstTheCurrent
Paranoid Humanoid.
User Info.
I dig the Foos, and I have eternal respect for them, but that song "Walk" is just horrible in my opinion. Feels so 40 year old guy radio rocky.

Also, I'm excited to see FTP play with the Beach Boys. Maroon 5, not so much. I like strange collabs though so I'm probably alone on that one.
04:02 PM on 02/12/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
hahahahaha
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music