Password

Album Review
Jonny Manak and the Depressives – Rebound Town Album Cover

Jonny Manak and the Depressives – Rebound Town

Reviewed by
Jonny Manak and the DepressivesRebound Town
Record Label: Reach Around Records
Release Date: March 5, 2007
Jonny Manak and the Depressives would be a pretty good name for a band. As it is, it’s a good enough name for professional skateboarder/San Jose punk veteran Jonny Manak’s latest project. On Rebound Town, Manak himself recorded every instrument and every vocal by his lonesome. An impressive feat for sure, but even more so considering the amount of energy that bounds on every track on Rebound Town.

Blazing the same trail as personal favorite Rocket from the Crypt, Jonny Manak and the Depressives successfully blend good old fashioned rock n’ roll (think Chuck Berry, Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis here) with good old fashioned skate punk (now think Black Flag, Descendents, and NOFX). The result is a vibrant blend of old and new that would sound perfect on any Tony Hawk soundtrack (which is, perhaps ironically, what got me into Rocket from the Crypt in the first place).

Rebound Town is a blazing fast 24 and a half minutes of pure, unadulterated fun. With 14 songs and none longer than 2:30, Manak packs each with enough bouncing bass lines and three-chord fury to fill an entire Punk-O-Rama album. The effect is unrelenting in the best possible way – Manak refuses to stop even for a minute to catch his breath, giving you the most punk for your buck.

Songs like “Down the Drain,” “Every Night’s a Friday,” “Young Girls,” and “Partner in Crime” are just the kind of rollicking party tracks that could light up even the most dreary Friday nights. These tracks recall such acts as The Dwarves and Frenzal Rhomb, refusing to take themselves even remotely seriously – delicious, unpretentious rock n’ roll.

The album as a whole is perhaps best embodied by the track “Gimmie Rock and Roll.” In it, Manak pays homage to his many varied influences: "Iggy Pop, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Little Richard and D.D. Ramone! Jimi Hendrix, Johnny Thunders and Cheetah Chrome – the gods of rock and roll!” The track is fast, fun and catchy, and makes the listener more than a little nostalgic for rock and roll’s golden years.

Short and punchy, Rebound Town doesn’t require much from its listeners, but the return is excellent. Play it with the windows down and the volume up, or on a boombox at the beach (assuming your boombox has a jack for your iPod), and give in to the infectious rhythms of Jonny Manak and the Depressives’ latest. Leather jacket or poodle skirt optional.
This review is a user submitted review from Keatsey. You can see all of Keatsey's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
10:50 PM on 09/01/07
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
They remind me a little bit of The Hives.

I'm into what I'm hearing, is there anywhere streaming their full length or anywhere I can get the entire album from?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos