Username
Password
TV News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
TV
Inside AP.net

Follow-up: The Grammy Live-Blog Recap + Final Thoughts

Posted by: Jason Tate (02/13/12)
Last night we tried out our first ever "live-blog" while the Grammys were going on. A few beers, a few snarky AP.net staff members, and a pretty amusing time, I thought, for everyone involved. Definitely something we'll be trying again in the future for big live events. The community is what makes this place special, different, and unique. With that, there's just a few follow-up thoughts I wanted to write about: At the end of the night, I don't think there was a doubt in anyone's mind that Adele flat out won the night. One of the best performances, cleaned up the awards, and was virtually universally praised. And yet, what I think went (unfortunately unnoticed) was that this was done with no meat-coat. No absurd cry-for-attention hair style and make up. No gimmick. No attempt to make an unnatural "moment." The music, even if it wasn't your thing, stood on its own. And yet, virtually everything else about the show was the exact opposite. Everything else seemed so forced that it appeared the byproduct of fake. Dave Grohl's speech about authenticity getting cut off by LMAFO was the perfect embodiment that even with the story of the night, rightfully, going to Adele -- the big picture still seemed so lost by most of the "heavy hitters of the music industry." They're still going to try and crank out magazine-pretty faces and bodies to go along with their computerized dance tunes. A generation is still going to flock to twitter to ask "Who is Paul McCartney?" - and the highlights in a "mainstream music show" are still going to come few and far between for most of us that frequent this website.

But after a night like last night, with the community buzzing around some hilarious comments, and the shared excitement when the Foo Fighters or Bon Iver won something -- I realized that while many of the suits and ties in that room last night weren't putting two and two together, and many weren't seeing that the biggest star in a room full of mostly self-proclaimed stars was a girl, with a voice. The music was louder than any drama. Any outfit. Any publicity stunt. And this community at least, got that - shared in that - and the rest can go to hell.

Thank you to every one that participated, and especially Drew Beringer for the great idea. Made a night that could have just been all about some vocal chord trolling his fans, instead about a community enjoying a shared second-screen ... and a voice that actually deserved every ounce of praise it got.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 81
04:07 PM on 02/13/12
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
User Info.
I still think that Paul McCartney bit is a bad joke.
04:13 PM on 02/13/12
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
Paul, Taylor, Adele, Bruce, and Bruno were the musical highlights
04:15 PM on 02/13/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Didn't like Paul's performance. Musically thought the Foo Fighters were great. Adele was out of the park. Bruce was solid. The rest was a waste of time.
04:16 PM on 02/13/12
JTHomeslice
Your girl's favorite pizza boy
User Info.
Foo Fighters and Deadmau5 was the best.
carcrashofahart
climb is all we know
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
um, adele has a pretty face.
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
I raise you one Foo Fighters. And Coldplay (sans Rihanna) was better than other gave credit for.
04:17 PM on 02/13/12
irthesteve
User Info.
Didn't like Paul's performance. Musically thought the Foo Fighters were great. Adele was out of the park. Bruce was solid. The rest was a waste of time.
You didn't like Paul's? I didn't even know his first song and thought it was nice, and the Abbey Road medly sounded great even with the guitair wank-off at the end.
04:17 PM on 02/13/12
irthesteve
User Info.
I raise you one Foo Fighters.
I watched a minute or so then fast-forwarded
04:18 PM on 02/13/12
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
User Info.
I honestly can't agree that Adele's was the best. Of course she performed exceptionally but it's a peeve of mine when a song is performed in lower tuning than the recorded version.
04:19 PM on 02/13/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
You didn't like Paul's? I didn't even know his first song and thought it was nice, and the Abbey Road medly sounded great even with the guitair wank-off at the end.
Bleh. Not really. Haven't really liked any of his TV performances to be honest. And I do like his solo output ... which not many people do. Haha.
04:20 PM on 02/13/12
QuietThings430
Stop liking things.
User Info.
Foo Fighters and Deadmau5 was the best.
I actually enjoyed that too. Surprisingly enough.
04:21 PM on 02/13/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
I watched a minute or so then fast-forwarded
And yet sat through Bruno Mars?

I'm judging you right now.
04:21 PM on 02/13/12
QuietThings430
Stop liking things.
User Info.
And yeah Adele, knocked it out of the park.
04:22 PM on 02/13/12
irthesteve
User Info.
And yet sat through Bruno Mars?

I'm judging you right now.
Judge away, I like the guy and thought he sounded solid
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates