Password

Album Review

Moving Mountains - Pneuma Album Cover

Moving Mountains - Pneuma

Reviewed by
Moving MountainsPneuma
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: Earlier, 2007
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
It’s tough to review an album like Pneuma. While doing my usual research (thanks, Google), I found a plethora of ways to describe Moving Mountains’ sound. All of them featured hyphens, slashes and long-winded stories about how nobody is mixing things up these days. And while, technically, all of those things are true, I’m going to shy away from giving the band an oddly vague and, yet, remarkably precise description like indie-math-atmospheric/post-rock. Instead, how does “great” work for everyone? OK then, let’s continue.

We’ve already established my being beaten to the proverbial underground punch. Although, I have yet to detail why I’m so ticked off at myself for being woefully under-informed. Pick your reason. But it’s probably the vast diversities between songs - “Aphelion” mixes horns with startling screams, while “Sol Solis” is a simple, acoustic ballad. Their ability to write a mathy and atmospheric rock song (“Alastika”) never hampers their aptitude at transcending the restraints of ‘regular’ post-rock (“The Earth And The Sun”). Quite simply, there is nothing these guys can’t do.

You don’t write songs like this and not expect to get noticed. Pneuma truly grew from word-of-mouth and grassroots beginnings. When a band creates a song like “8105,” which somehow fits every influence from Pneuma into it’s robust, 8-minute frame, kids are going to talk. A powerful drum assault leads the brass section, while the music quiets until finally bursting with melody and crescendos. Everything comes together brilliantly, and your brain will overheat as you try to decide which section deserves the most attention. Here’s a hint: give the lyrics a try.

(Don’t totally) Discount the first six minutes of “Ode We Will Bury Ourselves.” Well, don’t discount it at all, as the song is a magnificent closer. But, when the horns and cymbal crashes and guitar wails finally fade away, the band leaves us with an emotional vocal performance. It is one engaging sermon: “And I am in the earth and you’re in the sky. Hallelujah. And nothing will change what you are. Hallelujah. And someday the trees will sing.” This is not a request, drop whatever you’re listening to right now. Moving Mountains is better.

Despite my first paragraph, this isn’t about which ‘zine blew me out of the water with imagery and vocabulary (all of them). This is about everyone joining together and loving good music. It’s also about supporting Moving Mountains enough to get them back in the studio. No rush, of course. Forget market segmentation and home turf; hold my hand and turn Pneuma up.

Recommended If You Like: The Appleseed Cast, Hammock, mad scientists, Pyramids, conjunctions

R U N 2 2(oo)unes?!www.myspace.com/movingmountainsmusic

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 58
03:55 PM on 08/30/07
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.
Fucking beautiful album.
06:43 PM on 08/30/07
sweetforever
User Info.
excellent album
07:23 PM on 08/30/07
a speedo model
an enthusiast
User Info.
Fantastic album! Great review Blake.
08:40 PM on 08/30/07
12:46AM
is a brain in a vat
User Info.
I was actually gonna review this a long while back. I think it has some amazing songs, but the album as a whole didn't stick with me.
10:12 PM on 08/30/07
murphy77
User Info.
im gonna get this soon. i love these guys. thanks blake!
11:36 PM on 08/30/07
boysdontcry17
User Info.
8105 reminds me of the Low Level Owl series
08:43 AM on 08/31/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Another enjoyable read...loved the first paragraph. Good work, .
10:26 AM on 08/31/07
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.
Blake Solomon -- Now with Greg Dona Sized Paragraphs!

10:30 AM on 08/31/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Blake Solomon -- Now with Greg Dona Sized Paragraphs!

I like my paragraphs like my meat, lean and flavorful.
10:47 AM on 08/31/07
lightcollapse
on the edge of summer
User Info.
i love this album, i still have it as my desktop background.
10:53 AM on 08/31/07
Praetor
bippity boppity
User Info.
I love love love this album, but I never am in the mood to listen to it. Whenever I am, though, it totally blows me away. I also love the album cover.
11:02 AM on 08/31/07
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
this album is unbelievable. this is in my top three records of the year. personally i'd rate it at about a 93-95.

blake, do you have a hard copy?
11:24 AM on 08/31/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
this album is unbelievable. this is in my top three records of the year. personally i'd rate it at about a 93-95.

blake, do you have a hard copy?

not yet, im working on it.

And yeah, the final score says 88%, but personal preference aside from the other classifications, i give it like a 95%. And the fact that this band is unsigned and did the whole thing themself is unbelievable.
11:30 AM on 08/31/07
KEB182
Pedestrian Verse
User Info.
their live show lives up to everything you'd expect. Album of the year? I think so.
I have a hard copy and the entire artwork is worth seeing, especially if you love the cover. Just the CD itself like the actual physical CD is covered in beautiful artwork.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos