Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Wednesday Spotlight: Eisley

Posted by: Drew Beringer (02/15/12)
I had always been a casual fan of Eisley. I enjoyed their first two full length albums, Room Noises and Combinations (both released on Reprise Records), but I never went crazy for them. After moderate success with those two albums (both debuted in the Billboard 200), they became free agents and signed with Equal Vision. This got my attention as Equal Vision has always been one of my favorite labels and Eisley was definitely a lot more indie and whimsical than the hardcore and punk heavy roster on EVR. In late 2010, I was sent an advance of their upcoming 2011 EVR debut The Valley and everything changed. I was immediately hooked as songs like "Smarter," "Watch It Die," and the title track were equally dreamy as they were gritty. I absolutely knew at that moment that The Valley would be one of my top ten albums of that year. It was also criminally underrated in my mind, as lesser releases from the year received much more attention. That reason, along with yesterday's release of their new EP Deep Space (you can read my review here), is why I have chosen the DuPree clan as my Wednesday Spotlight.

Both The Valley and Deep Space contain a lot of emotion and edge amongst their beautifully structured songs. If you haven't checked out Eisley before or if you had written them off after their first two releases, I ask of you to check out their latest two releases (you can stream The Valley below and you can stream Deep Space over at Paste). The music created by Eisley features a sincerity and passion that few artists possess. Don't miss out on one of the best bands in the scene.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 26.
03:23 PM on 02/15/12
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor | @drewberinger | Locked Groove
User Info.
03:30 PM on 02/15/12
LastDeclaration
mmm tasty
User Info.
I had the same history with Eisley. The Valley really blew me away.
03:33 PM on 02/15/12
Tele72
User Info.
Just checked out the new EP and the way it looks, this band is going to just keep getting better and better with time.
03:40 PM on 02/15/12
notmrblond234
let's make a movie or something
User Info.
The songs on the Deep Space EP were good, but I just couldn't get passed how bad I thought the lyrics were. I still need to check out The Valley though, I've heard great things about it.
04:10 PM on 02/15/12
timb89
Australian Music Roundup
User Info.
Question: What is success for a band like this? I enjoy them but are they ever gonna crack the main stream (i'm not even sure what i mean by the term mainstream)? Are they ever gonna sell our arenas/smaller venues? Sell x amount of records?

Disclaimer: Not trolling just trying to discuss
04:30 PM on 02/15/12
Keele
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Question: What is success for a band like this? I enjoy them but are they ever gonna crack the main stream (i'm not even sure what i mean by the term mainstream)? Are they ever gonna sell our arenas/smaller venues? Sell x amount of records?

Disclaimer: Not trolling just trying to discuss
I think think "success" for a band like Eisley is to make a decent living doing what they love. Consider they have already released two albums on a major and opened/toured with some pretty large bands. Survival for bands like Eisley are to carve out a loyal audience. That audience will be there for each release, tour, and then the cycle can continue. It's fairweather fans that kind of destroy some acts. If you look at Deep Space, they recorded it from home. They released it through an indie, Equal Vision. It's definitely a more modest budget, as Drew said more or less, this band is only getting better with time and as them become more self aware as artists.
04:57 PM on 02/15/12
mayra821
User Info.
Love Eisley, The Valley was my AOTY and I'm so glad they're starting to get some more success. I remember seeing them play a free show at Waterloo records in Austin in like 2005(?) to maybe 15 people and becoming an even bigger fan of theirs.
05:13 PM on 02/15/12
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
Love them, Room Noises will probably always be my favorite but The Valley surprised me with how great it is
05:25 PM on 02/15/12
Keele
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The first song I heard by them was Marvelous Things and went online to check out a bunch of there demos like Head Against The Sky. Been listening since
05:27 PM on 02/15/12
zephyrsong12345
solitary WEASEL
User Info.
I just fell in love with The Valley this month. Been unable to listen to anything else for weeks. Such a wonderful album - and I'm now able to listen to Room Noises, etc. with a more favorable attitude than I had before.
05:30 PM on 02/15/12
Clark
Dirk Nowitzki's Beard
User Info.
I followed a similar path, as well. I was a casual listener until The Valley, which was one of my top three albums from last year, and I am now a huge fan. I became an even bigger fan when I saw them put an incredible show on for a tiny audience here this past summer. Fantastic band.
06:03 PM on 02/15/12
TheZeroKid
I'm Not Holden Caulfield
User Info.
I LOVE Eisley. Room Noises is a phenomenal record, and I didn't think it would ever be topped until The Valley came out. It was definitely my AOTY for 2011.
06:50 PM on 02/15/12
justbradley
User Info.
I absolutely love Eisley. I've loved them for a few years now, and The Valley was one of my favorite records last year, but it was definitely underrated. The Deep Space EP is good, but the lyrics are rather bland and boring, frankly. That's saying a lot because Eisley has some great lyrics. The only song on the Deep Space EP was their typical lyrics was the title track. Other than that, it was rather bland. It was good, but bland.
07:12 PM on 02/15/12
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor | @drewberinger | Locked Groove
User Info.
Deep Space isn't their "typical" lyrics because it's loosely based on the outer space concept. I love the lyrics to the songs. Simple and they evoke a lot of emotion
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS