AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Humaana - 02.15.12

Humaana - 02.15.12

Interviewed by
Humaana - 02.15.12The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Humaana

www.facebook.com/Humaana
Humaana.bandcamp.com
www.Panicrecords.net

1.How did you get your band name?

Ryan: I've got an old Conn Theatre organ in my studio with a setting called Humana on it. Timmy saw it and suggested we name the project that. We added an extra ĎAí and it just kind of stuck.

2.How did this band get started?

Basically weíve all been friends for a while and all been in a few bands together. When Aaron and Timmy were in Late Nite Wars, I (ryan) worked with them, recording their stuff, so eventually we just started up a little studio project between the three of us and it just kind of slowly grew into what we are now.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Timmy: The usual; Mew, Tokyo Police Club, Elliott, Phoenix

Aaron: I've always been into the song writing and sounds of bands like The Kinks and The Police. Their bass and guitar licks have always stood out to me and Iím sure some of that has stuck. Lately Iíve been listening back to the Engine Down and The Casket Lottery catalogs.

Ryan: I take a lot of influence from bands like Elliott, Karate, Mew, Gregor Samsa, The Killers, Appleseed Cast, Get\Up Kids, etc. I could go on for hours about all the music thatís influenced me over the years.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Aaron: The two bands I can think of right now are Sunny Day Real Estate and The Anniversary. I donít think I could get sick of their sets.

Timmy: Appleseed Cast. Never get tired of their live set.

Ryan: Basically any band I love.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Aaron: The fake buffalo chicken wrap and gouda mac and cheese at the Handlebar in Chicago and Seabeck Pizza in Broadus, Montana.

Timmy: Burritos.

Ryan: Anything with carbsÖand coffee

6. Why should people listen to your band?

Aaron: Iím not sure they should, but it might be what the punk rocker is looking for to add some variety to their iPod.

Timmy: Every song will keep you thinking?...and GROOVING of course

Ryan: I donít know that people necessarily SHOULD listen to Humaana, but itíd be cool if they gave it a shot. You might find something you like, you might not. Thatís whats so fun about music.

7.If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Timmy: Donít think Iíd want the pressure of being a pro athleteÖbut would like to play in a NHL playoff game, maybe just onceÖand hopefully survive.

Ryan: Steven Prefontaine because he wore awesome sneakers.

8.If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Aaron: Ryan and Timmy

Ryan: Timmy and Aaron...and Timm McIntosh, our label's ownerÖand my family, and my dog Emmie, and of course my fiance CaitlinÖand probably a few others.

Timmy: Family, Wife, anyone who liked or helped us.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

Timmy: would change it back to when MUSIC meant everything and not image.

Ryan: I'm pretty onboard with what timmy said. The general talent pool in music is WAY watered down. I canít stand most of the shit out there right now. It just lacks feeling and uniqueness.

10.Memorable tour experience?

Timmy: Maybe Aaron should answer this oneÖ.

Ryan: I havent done too much extensive touring so I donít have too many crazy tour stories. If you asked about studio stories, I could go on forever.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

Ryan: to be honest, Ive had my head in the sand for the past few years. i used to get most of my new bands and interviews from the magazine Punk Planet, which is now out of print. I guess itís a sign of the times. Since doing the band, Iíve started paying attention a bit more to whats actually going on. Ive read some cool interviews and seens quite a few of my friendsí bands on AP, so itís definitely exciting to be a part of it myself.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

Aaron: On the Comfort EP it would be ďLive like the 60ísĒ.. our newer songs are a lot more fun to play.

Timmy: A song off the upcoming full length called Woodsome

Ryan: Im with Aaron on this one. The LP songs are much more fun to play, but I like Passing Parade and Fake Smile. Newer songs would include a track called Dead Horse and another called Statue.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Aaron: A cabin in New Hampshire.

Timmy: Studio

Ryan: My studio, working on my own bandís stuff. Haha.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Aaron: Music from The Coasters, The Yardbirds,and Roy Orbison were constantly playing on the stereo.

Timmy: Music I listened to with my dad; the Beatles, the Who, George Harrison, and a lot of 90s alt rock.

Ryan: Same as Timmy, music my dad always played. The Beatles, Neil Young, Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Timmy: Iíd choose flying. Gas prices kill my wallet and Iíd have perfect timing

Aaron: Jesus powers. Free food, free beer, and you can walk on water (I canít swim).

Ryan: Hmm, Jesus powers do sound pretty sweet.

16.Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Aaron: A little Jim Beam.

Timmy: Just pretty much making sure my drums are set up exactly the same everytime I play. I'm very particular, AKA OCD

Ryan: Yeah, I like to get my shit set up and dialed so I donít have to worry about it during the set. A coffee is always in order for me before playing musicÖeven at practice.

17.What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Timmy: I'm Married and have two kids.

Ryan: I'm engaged and record bands fulltime

18.What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

Aaron: I unconsciously strayed away from radio a while ago, but when we left off it was either a bunch of buttrock or the same 10-song catalog looped on every station. If that is still the current state it would be cool to see some variety and more talented independent artists get their chance to get their music stuck in the mast majorityís heads.

Ryan: Depends. Thereís more than just straight up radio now. I think all music is much more accessible now, so I think depending on what you're aiming to listen to, thereís plenty of option, even on your average FM radio. That being said, Iíve never liked the bubblegum pop shit that people eat up, but thatís never going away. I wouldnít mind having a couple songs on the radio. Would we flourish? Probably not.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Aaron: Thereís not so much spare time between practices, life, and work, but Iím usually just hanging out at the studio with Ryan or reading. Lately, I've been hooked on the sci-fi writer, John Brunnerís books.

Timmy: Spend time with the family, try new restaurants, go to the coast.

Ryan: I rarely have free time. Any minute I'm not in the studio with a band, working on Humaana stuff or helping my dad out with his business, I'm spending with my fiancee. I wouldnít have it any other way. I love staying busy.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

Timmy: Beat boxing.

Ryan: Hmm. I donít think I have any, but can I just add that Aaron has an amazing talent for finding weird, quirky, cool instruments for dirt cheap! Itís crazy what he finds. I'd say itís a talent.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests