AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
HORSE The Band - A Natural Death Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.75
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8
Production 9
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.35
Musicianship 8.7
Lyrics 8.15
Production 9.05
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 8.1
Reviewer Tilt 7.2
Average: 81%
Inside AP.net

HORSE The Band - A Natural Death

Reviewed by: Tom Good (08/31/07)
HORSE The BandA Natural Death
Release Date: August 28th, 2007
Record Label: KOCH Records

A Natural Death marks the third full-length release for everyone’s favorite video game inspired hardcore band. Despite its creators containing some of the most lethal senses humor in the business (the band left a tour last year to record an EP about…well…pizza), the album also marks a decidedly (gulp) mature sound for the HORSE The Band. When I say mature, I don’t mean it in the sense of lyrical content (come on, there is still a song called “Sex Raptor”), I mean that the band has come a long way in terms of writing, creating their most focused release to date. Nintendo-core fans get excited because the most anticipated (and only?) album of the genre is finally here.

With an intense live show and an interesting concept, HORSE The Band has always had a lot more potential than what they were putting on record. How does their latest release measure up? Whereas R. Borlax was the first glimpse of their trademark sound and The Mechanical Hand saw the band building on that formula (albeit with a few flaws in production that held it back), A Natural Death is HORSE The Band finally hitting their stride. My two major complaints with their first two releases were the drumming and the production. The drums sounded flat and struggled to keep up with the pace and the production left a little to be desired. Luckily, both of those drawbacks have been fixed and then some courtesy of new drummer Christopher Prophet and spot on production courtesy of Brian Virtue. The new coat of paint on the production allows the vision of the band to finally be heard as it was intended and only helps the songs come across easier. Tracks like the spastic “Hyperborea” and “Face Of Bear” are perfect additions to the band’s repertoire, with lighting fast drums and the signature keyboard sounds of Erik Engstrom now at the forefront of the mix. “Murder”, the first track released to the public is full of enough blips and bleeps to satisfy any fan of the band’s previous work. Prophet’s drumming really shines on “New York City”, a song rife with enough tempo changes to make your head spin. Tracks like this display a new technicality and ferocity absent from the first two albums, and damn does it sound good. The end of the track even features a slow melodic breakdown that builds into an all out dance fest and is sure to be the highlight of a live set.

Don’t worry, the band’s sense of humor is not lost on the album with the influx of maturity. There are a few joke interludes that break up A Natural Death as well as the hilarious “Kangarooster Meadows”, which really needs an animated series to be the theme song to. The infectiously dancy “Sex Raptor” is a fun pop number catchy enough to be heard (I shit you not, this happened) at a sixth grader’s pool party. The only drawback I could foresee with the band’s latest foray is the same that has been plaguing the band since their inception; some people might not take their sound seriously. These people are also probably the same people that can’t appreciate it for what it is, a fun and unique album that might just surprise you after a listen. Sure the vocals can sound off key and out of place at times. Yeah, there might be a little too much filler as well, but when you realize how hard you are tapping your foot or banging your head when the album really kickstarts, the little details don’t seem to matter. Or maybe those aforementioned people just have no sense of humor. Either way, HORSE The Band have turned in their most ambitious release to date that also happens to be their best yet. If this progression keeps up, count me excited to hear what comes next.

Tracklisting 1. Hyperborea
2. Murder
3. The Startling Secret of Super Sapphire
4. The Beach
5. Face of Bear
6. Crickets
7. New York City
8. Sex Raptor
9. Broken Trail
10. The Red Tornado
11. Treasure Train
12. His Purple Majesty
13. Kangarooster Meadows
14. Rotting Horse
15. I Think We Are Both Suffering From the Same Crushing Metaphysical Crisis
16. Lif
Listen to HORSE The Band Myspace | Purevolume | KOCH Records Site

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 56
02:10 PM on 08/31/07
SevenOhThree
Best In The World
User Info.
You already know how I feel about this review, I'm just here for moral support, haha.
02:17 PM on 08/31/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
You already know how I feel about this review, I'm just here for moral support, haha.
What, you like it?
04:49 PM on 08/31/07
princesschad
sowing season
User Info.
Great review. I'm really into HORSE and I love the new album.
04:54 PM on 08/31/07
wego2eleven
User Info.
good review.....horrible the band
05:13 PM on 08/31/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
good review.....horrible the band
Yeah, HORSE the band is either one you love or hate. Very little middle ground with these guys
06:24 AM on 09/01/07
wahwah16
User Info.
nice review, the album is really good. I dance to sex raptor all the time
07:08 AM on 09/01/07
trustmeimokay
Hi
User Info.
Great review and great album.
08:26 AM on 09/01/07
CokeorPepsi
User Info.
can anyone tell me if anything has changed from the version that leaked months ago? I have heard conflicting reports.
09:20 AM on 09/01/07
RonMexico
bitte orca
User Info.
I always saw these guys as a novelty act.

...but this new album is genuinely wonderful - well written, it flows quite well, and it's intriguing if anything. It can drag at some points, but it sort of reminds me of older Cave-In and bastardized Dream Theater throughout.
09:20 AM on 09/01/07
shoop
User Info.
Decent review... in my eyes, this album deserves 100% all over. ESPECIALLY creativity and lasting value. As for the first two albums, accept them for what they are! They don't need perfect production!
09:21 AM on 09/01/07
shoop
User Info.
nice review, the album is really good. I dance to sex raptor all the time

Dance? Try sex!
09:23 AM on 09/01/07
shoop
User Info.
can anyone tell me if anything has changed from the version that leaked months ago? I have heard conflicting reports.

Yes, it's mastered a bit more and does sound better. They threw in a new instrumental and some bonus tracks on the best buy version. (a leaked track, and 2 midis)
12:08 PM on 09/01/07
meeotch
...all we fight for
User Info.
Yeah, HORSE the band is either one you love or hate. Very little middle ground with these guys
I'm of those few. I can't really just sit and listen to their recorded stuff but their live show is great. I'll have to check this out though, very nice review.
01:16 PM on 09/01/07
tonighttonight0
Rode the El Niño
User Info.
great review...im gonna check these guys out...i've been meaning to for awhile bu this seals the deal
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums