AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

11:22 PM on 02/18/12 
User Info.
Napzz
Male - 22 Years Old
I realize that China and Russia are allies and that if China backs Assad Russia does as well. But what is the benefit? I read about the Syrian conflict literally everyday on CNN and it's such an unreliable source as to what is actually going on. I just remember this article about a "paid killer" that repented his ways and just told CNN corespondents what he did and why it was wrong, which they put on the front page to get the American people to support U.S. intervention. Why would China support Assad? My knowledge of the situation stems as far as the news goes. I'm probably missing something, but if someone knows more and could shed more light on this situation that'd be helpful.

I think it's terrible snipers are just picking people off in the streets for no reason and I just want to understand the whole scenario more.
11:50 PM on 02/18/12 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Delaware
Male
From what I understand, China and Russia both sell a lot of arms to Syria..kind of like a US/Isreal type relationship.

China's showing a few cracks though.....they have an envoy there right now and they've demanded that some sort of talks start up. If the violence continues, hopefully they'll feel pressured into doing something.
11:53 PM on 02/18/12 
User Info.
Love As Arson
Resident Marxist
The Motherland
Male - 29 Years Old
Syria is Russia's largest arms customer and the port of Tartus is a Soviet naval base, which, in return for forgiving its debts, Syria has essentially given over to Russia for expansion of its military presence in the region. China has similar interests to a lesser degree and understands that, as an ally of its key energy-provider, Iran, it is necessary to support Syria to prevent the US from exercising control over the oil-rich region.
01:41 PM on 02/19/12 
User Info.
t.web4
Gone
Did anyone see this? Susan Rice went off on Russia and China.
02:42 PM on 02/20/12 
User Info.
Alou
Shenanigans.
Dacula, GA
Male - 23 Years Old
For China and Russia, you don't intervene anywhere ever. If you intervene in Syria, why not in Russia? Why not in China? They have questionable policies so they are big believers in sovereignty and want everyone to leave them alone. Creates too many problems for them to intervene while they got shit in their own country that needs to be fixed. (in addition to economic ties).
04:09 PM on 02/20/12 
User Info.
Love As Arson
Resident Marxist
The Motherland
Male - 29 Years Old
For China and Russia, you don't intervene anywhere ever. If you intervene in Syria, why not in Russia? Why not in China? They have questionable policies so they are big believers in sovereignty and want everyone to leave them alone. Creates too many problems for them to intervene while they got shit in their own country that needs to be fixed. (in addition to economic ties).
This is one of those "just sayin'" moments: The US used the same argument of sovereignty when the International Court of Justice ruled that it had violated international law by supporting the Contras and awarded Nicaragua reparations, which the US refused to pay.
04:11 PM on 02/20/12 
User Info.
Alou
Shenanigans.
Dacula, GA
Male - 23 Years Old
This is one of those "just sayin'" moments: The US used the same argument of sovereignty when the International Court of Justice ruled that it had violated international law by supporting the Contras and awarded Nicaragua reparations, which the US refused to pay.

Sovereignty is a good and bad thing. Keeps people out of your domestic stuff, but also means human rights violations and mass atrocity crimes are hard to stop /human rights and ethnic conflict classes.
12:41 AM on 02/23/12 
User Info.
Nuns On A Bus
`
Chico, California
Male - 23 Years Old
Hopefully the rebels can find a way to take power one way or another, but my guess is this will just wind up another sectarian civil war if the fighting doesn't end soon.
06:52 PM on 03/01/12 
User Info.
Eddie12e
No Avatar Selected
Male - 35 Years Old
They will have a war future?
09:47 AM on 03/21/12 
User Info.
fifpb99
Albany, NY
Male - 27 Years Old
it's actually a bit more complicated than just weapons dealings.

China and Russia, because of increased pressure from the west, are becoming closer and closer with Iran. All 3 countries fear an intervention in Syria means Iran would be next. Also, 54% of natural gas imports in Turkey come from Iran, and Turkey would be necessary to lead a NATO / Arab League intervention in Syria. So, if Turkey were to lead the intervention, economically, they would be shooting themselves in the foot. In addition to the majority of Turkey's natural gas imports being lost, Turkey would also probably receive economic pressure from China and Russia for their decision to intervene, because Iran would be put at more risk after Assad fell.

So basically, Russia and China in addition to their arms dealing in Syria are worried that an intervention their would lead to an intervention in Iran. And Iran, China, and Russia are all putting economic pressure on Turkey not to intervene in the future.

I hope that made sense and cleared some of this up.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos