AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Dethklok - The Dethalbum Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.25
Musicianship 9.75
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.25
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.47
Musicianship 9.72
Lyrics 8.56
Production 8.14
Creativity 8.33
Lasting Value 8.28
Reviewer Tilt 7.25
Average: 84%

Dethklok - The Dethalbum

Reviewed by: Blake Solomon (09/03/07)
DethklokThe Dethalbum
Record Label: Williams Street
Release Date: September 25, 2007

I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this one. I am neither brutal nor metal. My absurdist humor usually falls short and will never wind up on any television networks. Dethklok, therefore, are my heroes. They have already accomplished most of my goals, namely creating the biggest band in the universe and eluding various government operatives. There’s just something attractive and entertaining about five dudes doing what they love, even if they love albums made solely for fishes and deadly laser effects. Because I like to state the obvious, allow me to admit: I’m a huge fan of Metalocalypse.

So here I sit with shaking hands and a loose bladder while The Dethalbum sits bathed in an eerie, reddish haze. I need to stop writing reviews in my darkroom. It’s been a long while since season one finished, and I had been itching to hear my favorite songs from episodes gone by. Boy oh boy was I delighted to find 16 hilarious metal anthems from some of my favorite episodes. I am not usually a metalhead, but I could listen to Nathan Explosion’s soft and sultry voice… What the Fu*& am I saying? Explosion is br00tal as Fu&%!

At its core, The Dethalbum might be a comedy record, but if one were to discard the lyrics (more on that later, I promise) and only headbang along to the stop-and-go chugs of “Mermaider,” they would be musically awed. The guys behind Dethklok (Brendon Small and Gene Hoglan) are truly talented musicians, as is evident throughout the mind-bending guitar solos on songs like “Awaken,” GH 2’s “Thunderhorse” and “Briefcase Full Of Guts.” The drums of Pickles (err, Hoglan) should not be discounted either. “Bloodrocuted” features some extremely heavy fills and the stamina put forth in “The Lost Vikings” literally makes my forearms sore. Sure, my main draw to Metalocalypse is the wacky plots and blind fan devotion, but each episode’s chaotic musical performance is what truly differentiates the show from other Adult Swim programming.

Remember those lyrics I mentioned? “RSVP Please / For the death of me / You have little time / You’re running out of life / Happy Birthday! You’re going to die.” Take the time to decipher Explosion’s rough growl, and you will be treated to lines like the ones above (from “Birthday Dethday”). And what other band would write a song with lyrics such as, “You people out there give us something more than just record sales / You give us something to hate / And we hate you, you brainless mutants / Hate (16x),” to describe their relationship with fans? The song is called “Fansong,” after all. Dethklok believe nothing is sacred or worthy, which is well documented when Murderface tries to find a suitable religion. He fails (well, gives up), and instead, the dudes go and get smashed. So religion might not be for Dethklok, but whether you usually jam to metal or not, Dethklok are here for the masses.

“Die! (30x)”

Recommended If You Like: Strapping Young Lad, Snakes N' Barrels, Dr. Rockso, the Rock n' Roll Clown, Fintroll, Megadeth, Berklee

The Metalocalypse has begun. Dun DUN DUNNNNNNNNwww.myspace.com/dethklok
http://www.adultswim.com/shows/metal/

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 31.
09:52 PM on 09/03/07
Roboman
Don't Mind If I Didn't
User Info.
"There’s just something attractive and entertaining about four dudes doing what they love, even if they love albums made solely for fishes and deadly laser effects."

?

I cannot wait for season two...less than a month baby! I'm interested in hearing this, too.
10:14 PM on 09/03/07
romantic rights
User Info.
There are five guys in Dethklok dude.
10:27 PM on 09/03/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
sorry guys, fixed. I must be a fake fan.
08:11 AM on 09/04/07
rockdude
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
So i guess this started today, i know we don;t get too much metal new on here, but i figure if any metal dudes would be anywhere it would be for the Dethklok review...

bang out!

http://www.victoryrecords.com/albumtrailers/colors/

BTBAM is the fucking greatest metal band in recent times...period.
09:22 AM on 09/04/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Awesome review Blake. I love this show and have wanted the songs from it for a while. Thunderhorse kicks my ass and probably yours too.
So i guess this started today, i know we don;t get too much metal new on here, but i figure if any metal dudes would be anywhere it would be for the Dethklok review...

bang out!

http://www.victoryrecords.com/albumtrailers/colors/

BTBAM is the fucking greatest metal band in recent times...period.
We do get metal on here...
10:16 AM on 09/04/07
trindaddy
Trinconceivable
User Info.
great review. i cant wait to pick this up.
10:42 AM on 09/04/07
ATDIdakota
User Info.
one of the best shows on television, even if it is only 15 minutes long. can't wait for the new season.
10:49 AM on 09/04/07
FatJordan
Fat is Fashionable
User Info.
Metal.
11:00 AM on 09/04/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
if you guys click on the link under the review that takes you to the adult swim website, the shows creator will show you how to play "Deththeme." They also show some behind the scenes stuff. Check it out.
11:03 AM on 09/04/07
TheJeanGenie
User Info.
brutal review
11:23 AM on 09/04/07
Troggy
Basking in Wrongness
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
sounds awesome. i may pick this up.
12:16 PM on 09/04/07
phoenixinflames
User Info.
Recommended if you like Berklee? I'm not sure I understand.
12:21 PM on 09/04/07
Theow593
User Info.
Not the greatest review..
01:29 PM on 09/04/07
mjfitzge
User Info.
Recommended if you like Berklee? I'm not sure I understand.
berklee is where brendon went to music school to learn to be the greatest metal guitarist of all time.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS