Password

05:30 AM on 02/21/12 
User Info.
Esrb99
The Pertinacious Papist
Rolla, Missouri
Male - 24 Years Old
^^We do. We call it Mardi Gras though.

This year I'll be heading to St. Francis De Sales Oratory for a traditional Latin Mass on Ash Wednesday. As far as Lenten Penances go, I hope to work out, and commit to daily prayer each morning.
09:35 PM on 02/21/12 
User Info.
Esrb99
The Pertinacious Papist
Rolla, Missouri
Male - 24 Years Old
Technically, "Catholic" should be "Roman Catholic," too, since "Catholic" is technically originally a general Christian term, but the average person recognizes "Catholic" as Roman Catholic, so that's basically its true meaning at this point. Yay for evolving language.

Actually, Holy Mother Church over whom Pope Benedict XVI presides is more than just the Roman Rite. There are 22 rites in the Catholic Church, 21 of which comprise of the Maronite, Greek, Ukranian Catholic, etc... All are answerable to the Holy Father. The Roman Catholic Church is merely one of these Rites (though it is the largest). So I can be a member of the Chaldean Catholic Church, celebrate Divine Liturgy (not Holy Mass) and I am considered fully Catholic, in full Communion with the Holy Father.
04:54 AM on 02/22/12 
User Info.
Esrb99
The Pertinacious Papist
Rolla, Missouri
Male - 24 Years Old
I didn't know all the specifics of how Catholicism works, so thank you for that.

What I meant to point out is that the word "catholic" originally means or comes from a word that means "universal." The term "Catholic Church" was first coined to mean the Church universal, i.e. all of Christianity, but it has since evolved to generally refer to that specific section of Christianity. (It's referred to Catholicism as we know it for a dang long time, so pointing out that alternative meaning was kind of pointless, but I just felt like sounding smart. Then you had to jump in and lay that knowledge down, lol. Jerk.)

Haha it's all good. Incidentally, not many people realize that a a married man in the other Rites of Catholicism are free to join the Priesthood-it's only the Latin Rite that restricts the Priesthood to the celibate.

I find it interesting that multiple 'denominations' use the phrase, "One, holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church". Orthodoxy makes sense, but Anglicans and even Baptists? It just surprises me sometimes.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos