Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 93
03:24 PM on 02/21/12
Simulcast
You're not a teammate on my team
User Info.
If you think my kids are getting my Deftones wax you are mistaken. I will be buried with them.
03:29 PM on 02/21/12
collideoscopic
User Info.
no shit.

Kids aren't going to want your Gamecube or Dreamcast either

Bullshit - I caught my kids playing Intellivision games the other day even though they have access to everything new they could ever want ...
03:30 PM on 02/21/12
oneeightytwo
#TGG
User Info.
So very true. It's all about the physical product as well. It's nice to actually hold something that you've paid for, rather than a few megabytes etc. sitting on your hard drive.
It's always nice looking back through old records, looking at the artwork and reading lyrics etc.
Sure, it's easier to click 'Buy' on iTunes, but what happens later when you're all nostalgic over a song/album when you're talking to your kids?. What do you do then? Go fetch your old computer, or go online (who knows what the new craze will be in 20/30 years). Having the physical product allows us to make a connection with the music, rather than just simply having the files.
03:31 PM on 02/21/12
bobby runs
I dunno
User Info.
this is why you should always buy physical media
Yeah but are we gonna do with our mixtapes?

I love/hate that hip-hop is SO digital now.
03:36 PM on 02/21/12
calystarose
bearing a vultuous visage
User Info.
I can't relate to this at all. Not just because both of my parents are still living, but because in our family we don't wait until we're dead to share our interests with each other. My grandmother is still alive but has given a great deal of her collections and other things to various family members now when she can see them enjoy it. She still has things she loves around her, but the massive collections of things have been passed on.

If I was going to have children I'd try to share my love of various music/tv/film items before the executor read my will. And, thanks to digital files, I could copy a file on to their computer if they enjoyed it enough to want it.
03:39 PM on 02/21/12
lp670sv
Go Sabres
User Info.
Fuck my future children, my vinyls records are going to be buried in my arms.
03:40 PM on 02/21/12
schlotty
See you later, Joben!
User Info.
Can't wait to give my kid the new fun. album and have him/her look at me weird when I talk about the shitstorm on this website surrounding it.
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
So very true. It's all about the physical product as well. It's nice to actually hold something that you've paid for, rather than a few megabytes etc. sitting on your hard drive.
It's always nice looking back through old records, looking at the artwork and reading lyrics etc.
Sure, it's easier to click 'Buy' on iTunes, but what happens later when you're all nostalgic over a song/album when you're talking to your kids?. What do you do then? Go fetch your old computer, or go online (who knows what the new craze will be in 20/30 years). Having the physical product allows us to make a connection with the music, rather than just simply having the files.

In a few years CDs will be outdated, when you get a new computer you take your files from the other one and put it on the new one. Digital is way easier and more convient.

I listen to all my music digitally, and I make the connection with the music. The music IS a file, regardless of the medium. This obsession with a piece of plastic amazes me: people are argueing that the digital files take the "nostalgia" and "connection" away. That doesn't make any sense!
QuietThings430
Stop liking things.
User Info.
I'm okay with it being harder for us to hand down the likes of Skrillex and Nicki Minaj to the next generation.
Good one...
03:41 PM on 02/21/12
QuietThings430
Stop liking things.
User Info.
Also you can pass down USB drives... and iPods with the music on it.
03:41 PM on 02/21/12
QuietThings430
Stop liking things.
User Info.
...and mix CDs with digital music.
03:42 PM on 02/21/12
emkvetwin
What's left of where we're from?
User Info.
I still buy CDs from time to time. However, when I think about it...

It wasn't the physical copies of my dad's music that I fell in love with. It was the experience of listening to them on car rides, or at home after school, or watching concert videos of their performances, or hearing stories about them. That's where my connection came from. Physical packaging is nice, but the sounds and the stories and the memories are what last.

As long as I have a way to let my kids listen to my music and tell them what it means to me, I'll be all right.
03:45 PM on 02/21/12
oneeightytwo
#TGG
User Info.
In a few years CDs will be outdated, when you get a new computer you take your files from the other one and put it on the new one. Digital is way easier and more convient.

I listen to all my music digitally, and I make the connection with the music. The music IS a file, regardless of the medium. This obsession with a piece of plastic amazes me: people are argueing that the digital files take the "nostalgia" and "connection" away. That doesn't make any sense!

I can see where you are coming from, do you buy CDs or just the digital versions?

Some people may argue about audio quality too, but that's another discussion haha
03:48 PM on 02/21/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
This article makes an awesome point that definitely gets overlooked by the pro-physical media hoopla! Good read. Glad I have invested so much into vinyl...not because my kids will be stoked, I'm just happy about it every day. haha.
03:52 PM on 02/21/12
sauce301
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I still buy CDs from time to time. However, when I think about it...

It wasn't the physical copies of my dad's music that I fell in love with. It was the experience of listening to them on car rides, or at home after school, or watching concert videos of their performances, or hearing stories about them. That's where my connection came from. Physical packaging is nice, but the sounds and the stories and the memories are what last.

As long as I have a way to let my kids listen to my music and tell them what it means to me, I'll be all right.

This. A good portion of the cds that really mean a lot to me were burned from friends and are really just a CD-R with the name and artist scribbled on it. Packaging didn't matter when I was driving around in my car listening to the same song over and over again because I couldn't get enough of it/needed to. As long as my kids hold the same appreciation and reverence for music I'll be ok.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos