AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Aviator Set, The - Better Days Ep Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 0.25
Musicianship 4
Lyrics 3.5
Production 0.25
Creativity 1
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 1
Final Verdict: 15%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Aviator Set, The - Better Days Ep

Reviewed by: Richard Maxim (02/21/12)
The Aviator Set - Better Days EP
Record Label: Count Records
Release Date: February 22, 2011

Who?

The Aviator Set are a quartet from Bel Air, Maryland, hoping to reel you in with atmospheric riffs and soft pop rock influence. The guys are good and so is she, but thereís something missing. It all sounds familiar, which isnít always a bad thing. Most of the time it doesnít matter because it just has to be different enough and good enough, right?

What?

The opener "Distance" is nice enough; some atmospheric guitar work and nice build ups to an otherwise boring track. The guitar work is almost identical on all the songs throughout this EP, so if youíre not down now, you wonít be later. One thing I find so disappointing about lead singer Chelsea Tylerís range is the lack of any kind of variance. Itís almost monotone. Iíve heard Better Days dozens of times but every time I find myself wondering what song Iím listening to because I actually have trouble differentiating at times.

"Chords And Verses" is undoubtedly the standout, but the instrumentation is the only reason to care. Some of the drumming is very reminiscent of the track ďStay AwakeĒ on Lydiaís Illuminate. Itís much more on the aggressive side. If not for me likening TAS to Lydia then at least listen to Better Days for the instrumentation because itís got something good there.

The shortcomings of Better Days beat out the bright patches, way more than they should. Ultimately, I donít see myself listening again for the foreseeable future. Letís all hope to see Better Days for The Aviator Set.

Recommended If You LikeThe Morning Of; The Narrative

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News