Username
Password
General Announcement News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
General Announcement
Inside AP.net

Late Night Poll: The Great Kickstarter Question

Posted by: Thomas Nassiff (02/21/12)
Who doesn't enjoy a late-night discussion about something like Kickstarter? I'm writing up an article about the crowd-funding platform for my March feature and I'm looking for some input from AP.net users. Check out a poll I made in the poll forum, and feel free to answer it and the questions I attached to it. Probably the most interesting question is saved for last - if your favorite band had to use a Kickstarter to continue or end their career, what would you give them?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 26.
09:13 PM on 02/21/12
fuckyourscenes
www.fuckyourscenes.com
User Info.
I used to swear that if blink-182 played a one-off show, I would do anything/pay any amount to see them, because I never saw them live before they broke up. So I guess I would give anything/everything that I could to keep them around. I wouldn't fuck myself over financially to give them money (sorry Tom), but I would give more than just the extra dollar laying around.
10:00 PM on 02/21/12
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
It'd suck if a band I liked wasn't getting enough support and were going to break up, but hey, maybe that's for the best. If they want to make music again they'll make it, if they don't they don't, and I wouldn't put large sums of money just to keep them afloat. People finding new projects when an earlier one wasn't working out has lead to some of my favorite bands, and I never take out the possibility of a break-up leading to better things for the people involved.

Would probably get a t-shirt tho.
10:14 PM on 02/21/12
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think if a band absolutely needs the few thousand a kickstarter would make or they break up, that's a shitty ultimatum. Plus they're most certainly not trying hard enough on their own to get the money, in that case (unless of course they're trying to raise a much higher amount than most Kickstarters I see).
10:28 PM on 02/21/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I think if a band absolutely needs the few thousand a kickstarter would make or they break up, that's a shitty ultimatum. Plus they're most certainly not trying hard enough on their own to get the money, in that case (unless of course they're trying to raise a much higher amount than most Kickstarters I see).
The hypothetical is meant to be a sort of thing where it's like, if we can do this kickstarter, we will write a new record...if not, we'll go get real jobs and be normal people.
10:47 PM on 02/21/12
bwalden
Bradley Walden
User Info.
If Acceptance started a kickstarter for a new record I would absolutely participate. They've paid their dues.

However, joe fucking shmoe who wants me to fund their first EP, press their record on vinyl or pay for a new van can piss off. Do it like every other band who is breaking their backs touring and earning...I repeat, EARNING money.

The ONLY band I've ever seen use Kickstarter in a way I respected was The Graduate.
10:52 PM on 02/21/12
Wake Up
█▓▒░░
User Info.
"piss off" - bradley walden

but seriously. Kickstarter is such a fantastic platform for people like myself, who don't have the means to release a record on their own, to connect with their fanbase in lieu of releasing the material 6-12mos down the road.
11:02 PM on 02/21/12
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The hypothetical is meant to be a sort of thing where it's like, if we can do this kickstarter, we will write a new record...if not, we'll go get real jobs and be normal people.

I dunno, it's a tough thing. I think if the band isn't showing enough passion about making another album (IE "we don't want to work to raise the money, so we need the fans to pay it all"), then why should the fans? They should want to go that extra yard if necessary for the fans, not make the fans go the extra yard or leave them forever.

To me, that feels insincere. If a band genuinely wants to continue to be a band and making music, they'll put in the effort to make enough to record a new album.

Now, that's not saying Kickstarter is bad. At all, it's extremely helpful for bands who use it well. Great incentives/ fan give always can be extemely cheap, but great and absolutely worth while and one of a kind for any fan. It's just when bands make absurd demands, bad incentives, and just show laziness that it becomes bad.
11:04 PM on 02/21/12
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
However, joe fucking shmoe who wants me to fund their first EP, press their record on vinyl or pay for a new van can piss off. Do it like every other band who is breaking their backs touring and earning...I repeat, EARNING money.

This too.
11:16 PM on 02/21/12
tomakebelieve
honesty waits here forever.
User Info.
I like Kickstarter in some aspects, but I hate that there is a possibility that you can dish out money to a band (or any project) and that money could be used for anything. Like "raise" 4k needed to record but actually only use 2k on recording and the rest on god knows what. Catch my drift? Or does kickstarter actually verify all of the money raised goes towards the project? Correct me if I am wrong by all means.
11:17 PM on 02/21/12
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
"piss off" - bradley walden

but seriously. Kickstarter is such a fantastic platform for people like myself, who don't have the means to release a record on their own, to connect with their fanbase in lieu of releasing the material 6-12mos down the road.
I love you, to make things better, you're from Florida.
11:18 PM on 02/21/12
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
I like Kickstarter in some aspects, but I hate that there is a possibility that you can dish out money to a band (or any project) and that money could be used for anything. Like "raise" 4k needed to record but actually only use 2k on recording and the rest on god knows what. Catch my drift? Or does kickstarter actually verify all of the money raised goes towards the project? Correct me if I am wrong by all means.
There are no Kickstarter police - theoretically, a band could raise money to record an album, then take it and fly to Russia forever.
11:34 PM on 02/21/12
Wake Up
█▓▒░░
User Info.
I love you, to make things better, you're from Florida.
wooooot Florida!

Why does it make any sense to support the idea of a band like "The Graduate" or whoever the fuck he's talking about and not a band like "JoeScmoe's Trio".

If the band makes music I'm passionate about, I'm going to support it however I can. Especially when they need it and especially when they've called on their fan base, however narrow it may be or however "small" they are. It's such a narrow mindset to be in to say something like "I'm not going to support a band because they haven't earned it."
11:45 PM on 02/21/12
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
If Acceptance started a kickstarter for a new record I would absolutely participate. They've paid their dues.

The ONLY band I've ever seen use Kickstarter in a way I respected was The Graduate.
Tell me your thoughts on Five Iron Frenzy.
12:46 AM on 02/22/12
Mochem
User Info.
If the artist is providing the album as an incentive at a normal price, I especially don't see a problem. They're paying to record and create their music and product with the money that people are paying to listen to and buy their music and product. Just because it's easier and more convenient than the way it is traditionally done up until now doesn't mean that it's bad.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS