Username
Password
Blog News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Blog
Inside AP.net

Staff Blog: Those Who Left

Posted by: Adam Pfleider (02/21/12)
Last night I watched The Felix Culpa's documentary To We, The Nearly Departed. It made me think long and hard about all the bands that have made an impact in my life that were only around for such a short time due to one reason or another. You can read my reflection on the documentary here. Head to the replies and let us know if you think it is truly better to burn out, or to fade away...

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27
03:49 AM on 02/22/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm very, very undecided on this.

I see advantages to both. I think the most glaring con is on the burnout side, as no one wants to see their favorite band go down in flames.

However, I'm not sure either applies to bands who go away "early" in their careers. Then again, maybe I don't understand the definition of the choices.

As far as bands that ended too early, the first few that come to mind are TREOS, The Felix Culpa, and Therefore I Am.
05:28 AM on 02/22/12
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
I'll add Beloved (US) to that list. I'll always wonder what they could have done after Failure On.
05:30 AM on 02/22/12
Rodeo
User Info.
"Those Who Left" is one of my favorite Murder by Death songs. Good choice.
06:52 AM on 02/22/12
Aphasia17
Koi No Yokan
User Info.
Acceptance had a huge impact on me in high school and I'm convinced they would have hit it big and given us many great albums had they stuck around longer.
06:59 AM on 02/22/12
BusterBluth
@edgarallentoe
User Info.
Burn out, at least I think so.
07:22 AM on 02/22/12
fuckyourscenes
www.fuckyourscenes.com
User Info.
I think it's better to burn out, because although that band may not be as popular as they once were, there's a good chance someone is listening to them and getting something from it.
07:25 AM on 02/22/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
My my, hey hey
Rock and roll is here to stay
It's better to burn out, than to fade away
my my, hey hey

Out of the blue and into the black
You pay for this and they gave you that
And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black
07:29 AM on 02/22/12
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
It's a small crime that we never got to hear a third album from this band. Sever Your Roots was beyond incredible, but I think they could've written one hell of a follow up.
08:21 AM on 02/22/12
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
i've always wondered what's worse, for a band to put out a couple of great records and then continue with a slew of lackluster ones or just release two or three solid albums and call it a day...having that be the lasting print?
08:45 AM on 02/22/12
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
User Info.
People will always be more excited about the bands who burn out (look at the craziness that came with the ATDI reunion and all the other ones from the past two years), but I can't help but think that more music from a band I love, even if there's a drop in quality, is better.
08:53 AM on 02/22/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
i've always wondered what's worse, for a band to put out a couple of great records and then continue with a slew of lackluster ones or just release two or three solid albums and call it a day...having that be the lasting print?

I smell a Thursday discussion ...

Anyway, I think about this with certain bands. Some I wish would've ended after their first album, while others only released one album and they became legends

I mean, look at The Sex Pistols...one album
The Unicorns ...one near-perfect album
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah...if they only released their debut they would be the ultimate Indie legend.
The Postal Service!
There are a ton more but these came to mind.
08:54 AM on 02/22/12
KenneyBN
will be gone till July 2015 on mish
User Info.

Eh, it depends. It's pretty subjective. There will never be a band that writes a record that nobody in there fan base likes. It will always reach out to someone, even if the majority dont dig it.
08:56 AM on 02/22/12
KenneyBN
will be gone till July 2015 on mish
User Info.
I smell a Thursday discussion ...

You think Thursday got worse with each release?
08:57 AM on 02/22/12
mrn09
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'd definitely say that putting out lackluster releases is much worse. Way better to end on top with a positive lasting impression in the heads of fans. I think of Armor for Sleep.

In terms of Culpa, while I love what they have done, I think they were smart to call it quits when they did. I think it's hard to say that a band that has been around over 8 years called it too early. They played a house show at my place last summer and I could definitely feel that they felt it was nearing the end.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests