Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Bands That Should Have Gotten Big--Your Thoughts

Posted by: Anton Djamoos (09/05/07)
"We're goin' down, down in an earlier round and sugar, we're going down swingin.'"

There are some songs that, as soon as they catch your ear, you know that they are going to be a monumental success. Perhaps it was when you heard the chorus to "Sugar, We're Going Down" by Fall Out Boy for the first time and knew that they were no longer 'your' band or the opening "Hey" in Jimmy Eat World's "The Middle." Whatever song, you knew that the song had "it" and was going to make waves in the mainstream world.

What about the times you've heard a song from a band and knew that it was going to be huge and it never went anywhere? The mainstream is a fickle giant; two songs that sound exactly the same can have two completely different lives on the Billboard charts. And that's to say nothing about a band's image, which can play a huge role in a band's career.

We at Absolutepunk.net would like to know--what bands do you think deserved to make it but didn't? Why did they deserve it and why do you think they didn't get it?

We know that success is relative to what you consider success to be, so we'll leave your definition to your discretion. It could be a smaller band that you think had potential to catch on with the AP.net demographic or a band that had the possibility to break mainstream and never did. Is it a certain song that was released as a single that never attracted attention you thought it deserved? Maybe you think a certain band had the talent to write a hit record but just never tapped their full ability; whatever it is, we want to know what band the mainstream missed out on.

On a similar note, what bands do you think got exposure that you wouldn't have expected to? Maybe a band like Modest Mouse who has seemed too obscure for the mainstream audience or My Chemical Romance, whose I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love showed hardly any indication that the band would be where they are today.

What bands should have earned a bigger following and which "big" bands would you never have expected to be where they are?

Remember, if you ever have any topic you’d like to see as a Thursday Discussion question, leave a comment detailing what you'd like to see in my blog.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 619
09:05 PM on 09/05/07
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
I remember blindly buying Bleed American at Target for $6.99 when it first was released, purely because I saw that they played at Tom Delonge's wedding. As soon as I heard "The Middle," I knew the band was going to be huge.
09:06 PM on 09/05/07
krishasaheadake
Don't start no shit wont be no shit
User Info.
Midtown "Living Well Is The Best Revenge"

It was their major label debut. Blink 182, Good Charlotte, Simple Plan were all high up on the charts and I thought Midtown was next in line for their own lunch boxes and MTV cribs episodes.

Acceptance "Phantoms"

When I first heard track one "Take Cover" I thought it would be beat to the ground on radio and tv. But they went with "Different" . Ballads rarely work as a first single, and when they do they usually stick out like a sore thumb. The marketing campaign was just pure shit. People at Sony say that.

also:

Head Automatica
Young Love
Aberdeen City
Mew
Pompeii (shocked not much is going on with them)
09:07 PM on 09/05/07
chcougar1
User Info.
I would have thought Hit the Lights would have got bigger.

also Last Winter seems like they could have mainstream success but they are still very unknown I think.
09:07 PM on 09/05/07
zach26
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i expected acceptance would get pretty big.

never expected fob/panic! to get as big as they have. i suppose fob fills the hole that blink left behind.
09:09 PM on 09/05/07
Nerodrumpsycho
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
the academy is... is one band that i thought was going to make it HUGE and never quiet "popped" so to speak. i saw the plain white t's open for them, panic! at the disco opened for them, both of them "popped" but TAI... stayed the same. Great band both recorded and live, great music, typical "pop" squeaky clean/girly boy image, but for some reason they just haven't caught on the way those other bands have...
Get Fucked
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Acceptance. I'm too tired to try to breakdown WHY it didn't happen for them, but it should have.
Loch_Doun
registered registered user
User Info.
I'm surprised that Brandtson hasn't gone mainstream, I mean they play the same dancey-alt-pop that you hear from so many bands on alternative radio nowadays, only theirs is a good version of it.
TJ Wells
i'll see you at the movies.
User Info.
pretty sure acceptance will be the most common (and best) answer.
ClemTiger0408
Punk Fan, True?
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
A band that I never would have thought would ever get big is Coheed and Cambria.

I'm surprised Sherwood hasn't taken off yet.
TJ Wells
i'll see you at the movies.
User Info.
they are pretty damn big IMO.
09:10 PM on 09/05/07
adumb
User Info.
Sometimes it surprises me that Saves the Day never got any bigger. A song like Shoulder to the Wheel is just so catchy that it seems like it could appeal to anyone. Perhaps Chris's strong Jersey accent throws some people off.
09:10 PM on 09/05/07
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Midtown and Acceptance are the two I think should have been bigger.

Acceptance's Phantoms was the perfect alternative radio rock album and it just never went anywhere. I blame poor marketing and an even worse decision to choose "Different" as the first single.

Midtown, don't get me started. "Give It Up" could have done it. Everything off of Living Well could have done it. Save the World... could have been a huge success if released later. I think it was still too early in the developing genre.
09:11 PM on 09/05/07
crizgraff
User Info.
I never expected a ton of mainstream attention for him, but I'm surprised that Rocky Votolato isn't bigger than he is.
09:11 PM on 09/05/07
albatrossxivy
asdfg
User Info.
this is going to sound weird but Over It

I think the bands last release was amazing and could have sold millions
but they have not done anything close to that and its a shame

Also a few others that would fit under this thread:

The Working Title (could have done so well on top 40 but the push was not made)
Augustana (could be just as big as the fray... epic had the tools to do it and has not yet)
Young Love (one of the best albums of last year... no radio play at all)
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests