AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Dead Swans - Anxiety and Everything Else EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 7
Production 7
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 70%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 86%
Inside AP.net

Dead Swans - Anxiety and Everything Else EP

Reviewed by: Dre Okorley (02/24/12)
Dead Swans - Anxiety and Everything Else EP
Record Label: Bridge 9
Release Date: February 28, 2012

Who?

Dead Swans. If anxiety is a hell of a ride, that makes Anxiety and Everything Else its psychotropic rollercoaster, lying on the grimier side of Brighton's tracks. Once UK-based hardcore veterans Sworn In stepped down, you couldn't help but to wonder how many visionary lads would be bloodthirsty enough and just up to par with the Bridge 9 aesthetic. It's taken the spasm-and-thrash reputation of quintet Dead Swans to attack the void, because to go from Southern Blue and arrive at the name It's Starting, surely some reckless trauma has been creeping up under the folds.

What?

"I've Been Trying To Leave" snaps forward into what seems like a brooding inversion of American Nightmare's "Postmark My Compass", recalling its Southern Blue roots over crunching guitars. As frontman Nick Worthington chokes out coarsened repeated fits of "when will it end", you get the impression that the maddening process won't let up anytime soon. This is the skeleton to Anxiety's frenetic ward, born ready to navigate more than just hellholes: "Dead Until Dark" features topsy-turvy drumwork on oxycontin that eventually caves into sludgy downer status; "Southern Blue" bubbles in pent up frustration and dissonance via guitarists Pid and Robbie. But it's middle track "Keep Them Shut" that showcases all we ever wanted from Dead Swans. In two minutes and twenty four seconds, a snare drum stutters to the sounds of ambient hypnosis, everything morphs into call-and-response, and then hypnosis mode edges its way back. Trapped in the thick of melancholy, fury, and classic hardcore throwbacks, Anxiety rams beyond what no prescription drug could ever alleviate.

Recommended if you LikeAmerican Nightmare's Background Music; The Carrier; Your Demise; UK grit

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. I've Been Trying To Leave
2. Summer of Hate
3. Dead Until Dark
4. Keep Them Shut
5. Since Day One
6. You Can Only Blame Yourself
7. Southern Blue

Produced by: Sam Thredder at Cro's Nest Studios

Dead Swans is:
Nick Worthington - lead vocals
Pid - guitar
Rob - guitar
Ben - Bass
Benny - Drums

Official AP.net Profile; Official Website; Official Facebook Page; Official Twitter Account

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
09:16 PM on 02/24/12
Sam DeBurns Red
User Info.
Can you just write every review?
08:11 AM on 02/25/12
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
This is the second time I've seen a comparison drawn to Your Demise from this EP. I was under the apparently wrongful impression that band was more of a metalcore/tough-guy thing?
08:37 AM on 02/25/12
Andy Biddulph
Staff Writer @asbiddulph
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Nice review. Intrigued to hear this, have lost track of these guys over the last year or so.
09:29 AM on 02/25/12
tuneouttunein37
User Info.
ive listened the shit outta sleepwalkers so im geeked for this to drop
09:47 AM on 02/25/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
This is the second time I've seen a comparison drawn to Your Demise from this EP. I was under the apparently wrongful impression that band was more of a metalcore/tough-guy thing?
Ha, I've actually listened to a few songs from the band and thought a couple had that similar tough, raw edge. You could be right, though.
10:06 AM on 02/25/12
NickIsI
I'm Only Here to Disappoint
User Info.
Great review!

Bridge 9 doesn't put out bad releases in my book, so I'm really looking forward to this.
10:54 PM on 02/25/12
Deth
User Info.
Keep Them Shut is by far my favorite track so far.
11:32 AM on 03/04/12
xsimplex11
Disgrace the traitor
User Info.
When will this be released in the U.S Itunes store?
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums