Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

A Shot of Rhythm and Blues

Posted by: Lueda Alia (02/26/12)
The discussion about music collections made me think of the music I listened to while growing up, which was essentially whatever my mother used to be into at the time. I remember getting cassettes (yes, I am that old) by some of her favourite bands, Queen, The Beatles, Michael Jackson and Madonna, on my 7th birthday and listening to them nonstop for days. I would often quit my piano lessons early so I could go back to these cassettes and dance to "Smooth Criminal," whose lyrics I learned by heart before I even knew how to speak English, as well as "Living On My Own" ... all while thinking about how Freddie Mercury was so much cooler than Mozart or Beethoven. I also remember being glued to the TV every single time the video for "Heart" by Pet Shop Boys, which features none other than Ian McKellen, would come on; they were another band that my mom seemed to adore when she was young, and I inevitably fell in love with them too. And how can I forget Ace of Base, whose songs would get stuck in my head for what seemed like forever? They were the first band I was truly obsessed with and I would be lying if I said that I don't love them still.

Like any music fan, I have gone through a few phases with genres, but I have yet to grow out of any of the music that I grew up with -- perhaps because it has become a part of my DNA now, or perhaps because some of it really is timeless. So while collecting vinyl in itself is probably my second coolest hobby -- first one being trying as many Pinot Grigio brands as possible -- I often think about how, one day, my future-children will grow up with and be influenced by it. It's sort of terrifying and exciting at the same time, because some of my favourite bands now might end up being what they consider timeless. And that brings me to the question of this week's Sunday discussion: what music did all of you grow up with? Now is the time to brag about your parents' amazing tastes, as well as the few embarrassing albums in their collections....

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 66
12:20 PM on 02/26/12
Lueda Alia
User Info.
This always turns into a nice little discussion on the forums, so hopefully we can generate some good discussion here as well!

As always, please post links to videos instead of embedding them... so that they don't clog up the page.
12:27 PM on 02/26/12
JTHomeslice
Your girl's favorite pizza boy
User Info.
I'm with you, I love the classic rock stuff my dad is into. Boston, Queen, Deep Purple, Van Halen, Pink Floyd, on and on. Still love it.
12:30 PM on 02/26/12
texan4lif281
User Info.
I will always remember the days me and my dad would listen to Free Fallin by Tom Petty on cassette tape and when he introduced me to Boston and their self titled debut album. Can't wait to see Tom Petty live next month with my dad. Gonna relive those memories somewhat.
12:32 PM on 02/26/12
Flags of Dawn
King Shit With That Crown of Flies
User Info.
My parents aren't huge music fans, so I was a little on my own as far as what to pick out of their generation, especially since most of what they did listen to was pop music. But, I do have good memories of listening to the oldies station with my mom in the car during my elementary school days, and while I don't seek out music from those eras, there's definitely something comforting about hearing them now. My dad likes Zeppelin though, and if there' had to be one band he grew up listening to and passed on to me, I'm glad it was them.
12:35 PM on 02/26/12
thisisadisaster
RICK FROM ALABAMA
User Info.
garth brooks, all day every day.
12:35 PM on 02/26/12
Smash Adams
Ain't no thing like me, except me
User Info.
I think with the stuff your parents like there's definitely a phase where it's like if they like it it must not be cool, then you come around to realizing that that makes no sense
12:36 PM on 02/26/12
Jake Denning
User Info.

12:37 PM on 02/26/12
Lueda Alia
User Info.
Tsk Jake...
12:37 PM on 02/26/12
Christian Wagner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Bruce Springsteen and Top 40 radio. As for Bruce, it was specifically Darkness On The Edge of Town. Then I liked Default, New Found Glory, Blink, Green Day, etc. Then I got into Thursday, The Used, etc. Now I'm here.
12:38 PM on 02/26/12
KenneyBN
will be gone till July 2015 on mish
User Info.
Both my mom and dad have younger brothers that where probably 18ish around 2003 (my uncles). They had a huge influence on my tastes, introducing me to Brand New, Jimmy Eat World, Fall Out Boy, Something Corporate and a whole lot more when I was in grades 2 and 3.
I remember the uncle on my moms side giving me like 15 CD's one day, among them being Take This To Your Grave, North, Pollyanna, and I cant remember all of them, but they're all awesome.
Then my dads little brother introduced me to Deja in 2003 when it came out, all though he didn't even realize he was introducing me... more just playing it while i was around. That record has changed my life.
Then my dad listened to Jimmy Eat World and Third Eye Blind, but I'm pretty sure he was exposed to them by his little brother.
So growing up from the time I was in grade 3 up until now, listening to Brand New and Jimmy Eat World has been amazing. Very grateful it happened.
georgedcc
User Info.
The first music I can ever remember enjoying was Bjork's Hyperballad. My parents had Debut on tape, with a few songs from Post tacked on the end. Hyperballad was the one song that stood out the most in my impressionable mind. I would have been about 4 or 5. To this day, its still my favourite song and Bjork is still my favourite artist. I can't see anyone replacing her in my mind, her music is perfect to me.

I grew up listening to old country, 80s pop and traditional folk from my mum. My dad introduced me to blues, jazz and punk. My music taste was shaped by both of them. I find I have more in common musically with my Dad overall, but I'm grateful to both of them for everything they showed me.
Flags of Dawn
King Shit With That Crown of Flies
User Info.
I think with the stuff your parents like there's definitely a phase where it's like if they like it it must not be cool, then you come around to realizing that that makes no sense
Unless your parents listen to Whitesnake and the Pointer Sisters, haha.
sjb2k1
User Info.
garth brooks, all day every day.

listened to country like it was my 8-year-old self's job
12:39 PM on 02/26/12
thisisadisaster
RICK FROM ALABAMA
User Info.

listened to country like it was my 8-year-old self's job
first cds i remember purchasing were garth brook's seven and then the box set with the six previous albums.

i probably bought some before that but those are the first ones i remember.

edited: my grammar is awful today.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums