Username
Password
AP.net Related News - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 66.
12:40 PM on 02/26/12
Flags of Dawn
King Shit With That Crown of Flies
User Info.
The first music I can ever remember enjoying was Bjork's Hyperballad. My parents had Debut on tape, with a few songs from Post tacked on the end. Hyperballad was the one song that stood out the most in my impressionable mind. I would have been about 4 or 5. To this day, its still my favourite song and Bjork is still my favourite artist. I can't see anyone replacing her in my mind, her music is perfect to me.

I grew up listening to old country, 80s pop and traditional folk from my mum. My dad introduced me to blues, jazz and punk. My music taste was shaped by both of them. I find I have more in common musically with my Dad overall, but I'm grateful to both of them for everything they showed me.
Completely forgot about Bjork and specifically that song. That's awesome, I totally want to be one of those parents who play awesome/weird/obscure music for my future kids.
12:41 PM on 02/26/12
reallyjustizzy
go away
User Info.
My first musical memory is of my mom singing "The First Cut is The Deepest" by Sheryl Crow and "You're So Vain" by Carly Simon whilst cleaning the house. My dad wasn't around so any music I heard at an early age would have come from my mom or my older brother who is 9 years my senior. My brother was really into ska, grunge and punk around the time I began to understand and appreciate music. I remember "99 Red Ballons" by Goldfinger was the song he would always play when he had friends over. He also introduced me into blink-182, My Chemical Romance (though I've now out grown them) and Fall Out Boy. Actually, the summer he had graduated high school he was cleaning out his room and he gave me a bunch of his books and cds. At the time I was mostly interested in the books, so I just gave the cds away to goodwill. I really regret doing that now. Damn my 10 year old self.
12:42 PM on 02/26/12
Thesleepingwell
Didn't start the riot
User Info.
I grew up with some awesome music. My dad was into rock and prog. Mostly Deep Purple, Queen and Pink Floyd. I recall listening to 'The Division Bell' and 'The Wall' when I was kid. He'll often talk about that era and the memories of the shows he went to. And one of the things that always sticks in the mind is his experience of getting to see Jimi Hendrix live and he still says to this day how amazing it was.

I get the love of singers from my mom, who loved the likes of Whitey, Michael Jackson and The Supremes. And she was a kid when The Beatles and The Beach Boys, were all the rage. She enjoys talking about it a lot. We'll often talk about music for an hour or so, haha.

And it's kind of weird later when I listen to the music I love now, the artists and bands now. Especially when a band you love goes and does a cover of a song by The Beatles or Deep Purple (I'm looking at Type O Negative here). And think wow, that influenced them in the same it has me. It's amazing. I still listen to a lot of this old stuff and think, this is just... awesome.
12:43 PM on 02/26/12
georgedcc
User Info.
Completely forgot about Bjork and specifically that song. That's awesome, I totally want to be one of those parents who play awesome/weird/obscure music for my future kids.
Yeah, she's brilliant. Make sure you check out her albums, and you'll fall in love. Everything she's done has been gold.
12:44 PM on 02/26/12
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
Born and raised on Bruce Springstein. That's all either of my parents listened to when I was young
12:46 PM on 02/26/12
talitha, koum
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
my parents were never particularly musical. other than casually listening to the radio in the car on occasion, music was not something either of them extensively invested their self in. everything i'm into now, whether it be older or (relatively) new, i got into on my own or through friends. i am determined to raise my kids (if i am ever blessed with any) on the music that i feel has come to be a part of me, though. it's just not something that can't be shared.
12:54 PM on 02/26/12
Jake Denning
User Info.
When any of these songs comes on in the bar, I turn into Gunz.

It ain't pretty.
12:55 PM on 02/26/12
Lueda Alia
User Info.
When any of these songs comes on in the bar, I turn into Gunz.

It ain't pretty.
I was referring to my first post in this thread!
12:57 PM on 02/26/12
_veges_
User Info.
I was raised on pretty awesome music. I have fond memories of listening to Brand New, Blink 182, Nirvana and Jimmy Eat World with my dad
12:57 PM on 02/26/12
thisisadisaster
RICK FROM ALABAMA
User Info.
also like most kids, i was HUGE into music from disney movies. i had all the soundtracks, the sing along tapes (remember those?), and knew every song by heart. best music.
12:58 PM on 02/26/12
Jake Denning
User Info.
I was referring to my first post in this thread!
01:02 PM on 02/26/12
DeathOrGlory
I'm not fucked, not quite
User Info.
garth brooks, all day every day.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Used to sit in front of the television hoping 'Standing Outside the Fire' would come on CMT. He was so big in our house

I also have fond memories of driving around with my dad, begging him to play his KISS tape in the truck. We would rock out. We also used to watch Pop Up Video on Much More as a family which is how I got an affinity for music television at the time. My family actually didn't really influence my tastes at all. I kind of picked music up on my own.
01:04 PM on 02/26/12
Lueda Alia
User Info.
I always think about this. Pretty sure my music collection will make me the coolest mom evar.
01:06 PM on 02/26/12
JinxRemoving
User Info.
Country and bluegrass. My parents are both huge fans, so it was always playing in the house, in the car radio, etc. growing up. My mom was all about Garth and Reba, and my dad is a big fan of the older stuff like Hank Williams, Waylon Jennings, and Merle Haggard.

My brother was eight years older than me, so once I was a little older he started getting me into all his music, which was mostly hip-hop. Thanks to him, The Low End Theory is the first album I ever bought.

Those are still my two favorite genres, so I guess my family was really influential in my music taste.
01:12 PM on 02/26/12
Flags of Dawn
King Shit With That Crown of Flies
User Info.
I always think about this. Pretty sure my music collection will make me the coolest mom evar.
For sure. Post rock/ambient stuff will be played at bedtime probably. Not that I've thought about it or anything...
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests