Username
Password
AP.net Related News - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 66.
01:15 PM on 02/26/12
mymusicismylife
Disgruntled wheat thins enthusiast
User Info.
I got so little music from my parents. We were a radio favmily; I rarely touched their cassettes or cds.
01:22 PM on 02/26/12
notmrblond234
let's make a movie or something
User Info.
I would say that the main ones would be

Elton John - Greatest Hits
Shania Twain - Come On Over
Journey - Evolution
01:24 PM on 02/26/12
Charles777
Feeling groovy
User Info.
Freddie Mercury was cooler than everybody.

01:27 PM on 02/26/12
PermanentTourists
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Counting Crows was what my family gave me besides stuff like Lonestar and other early 90's country radio. I went to classic rock in middle school but I basically got all my tastes myself.
01:31 PM on 02/26/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
A lot of local bands:

The Replacements
The Jayhawks
Golden Smog
Gear Daddies
Soul Asylum
Prince
Sugar
Husker Du
Run Westy Run
Babes in Toyland
01:45 PM on 02/26/12
TorontoMatt
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Michael was the bomb growing up. I someone stumbled onto the Dangerous cassette tape as a kid. Then when History came out my parents were too dirt poor to buy it. I eventually got it and it was amazing. Besides that it was mostly 70s-90s reggae, soul, r&b, and some good old fashioned Celine Dion. I love her.
01:50 PM on 02/26/12
Formatfun
Format, The, Format, The
User Info.
My earliest favorite band was Blink-182 in 1999 when they blew up into the mainstream. I had pictures on my wall and listened constantly. I wasn't into music too much before them. My sister influenced my music taste more than my parents, as she was into bands like Green Day and Stroke 9.

I listened to Lit, SR-71, Eve 6, and Barenaked Ladies, too.

All before I was 10.
02:06 PM on 02/26/12
oldwirehands
billionsandbillions / Chris
User Info.
My parents were so young when they had me in the 80's. I grew up on MJ, Rush, VH, Bon Jovi, and Motley Crue. Then I grew up, went through the teenage angst phase, chilled out and smoked some pot, and the rest snowballed from there.
02:06 PM on 02/26/12
randys950
@randys950
User Info.
My mom and dad listened to country nonstop so that's the music I grew up with.
02:08 PM on 02/26/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
All of the links are to songs!

It was whatever my dad was listening to; I actually had a discussion with him the other day about how when I was very young, he would have to play Dire Straits to get me to go to sleep - young enough that I can't remember that at all.

The two songs I can remember calling my first "favorite songs" were Bryan Adams' "Summer of '69" and Billy Joel's "No Man's Land" ... after seeing Billy Joel for my first concert ever in 1998, it was "Piano Man," which I'll never forget him closing the show with.

After that, it was years and years of Bruce Springsteen, who turned into my favorite artist of all time by the time I was in high school, and that still hasn't changed. There was some Fleetwood Mac and Boston along the way, along with doses of U2 and Elton John.
02:13 PM on 02/26/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I've always had a theory that you grow up with the music that your parents like, then hit middle and high school where you go into a phase of listening to "what's cool," then you hit the self-discovery phase where you go out and find your own music. Somewhere along that timeline, your parents' music, which most teenagers shelve because it isn't what's cool at the time, comes back into play. By the time you're an adult with your own kids, you end up with the best out of the music you discovered on your own, and you also have your favorites from your parents' collection. The result ends up being an interesting, usually generation-spanning taste...the amount of your parents' stuff that gets passed down to your kids ends up being a little less than what you took, because your kids have to choose between those records (which are now REALLY old, Boston's self-titled is 35 years old now, but by the time I have kids who are making their own musical decisions, it'll be 50, 60 years old) and the records that YOU found and liked when you were young. The passing down of music interests me more than most things.
02:20 PM on 02/26/12
Qadriyyah
Yeah, that girl...
User Info.
My mom is a straight up 70's & 80's R&B soul woman. Of course in the 90 she listened to the new jack swing but most of it was older music. I loved it. She has an amazing CD collection. I know I definitely got my love and and appreciataion of music from her.
02:22 PM on 02/26/12
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
My dad never listened to music, but I have a sister who is 13 years older than me and she was a huge influence. She was always playing stuff, I remember listening to tons of Guns N' Roses when I was really young. But I didn't start paying attention until I was 9 and she gave me Green Day's Nimrod, Foo Fighters' Colour and the Shape, Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream and Red Hot Chili Peppers' Blood Sugar Sex Magik. I ended up loving all those records, but I loved Green Day the most by far. Because of that she bought me Operation Ivy, Bad Religion and Dead Kennedys records a few years later and my tastes haven't changed much since.
02:41 PM on 02/26/12
Sloth7
Kitton Mittons
User Info.
I may represent a bit of the older side of the demographic here. My parents were fans of Sinatra, Dean Martin, Elvis, etc... so that was a lot of what laid the foundation to my musical taste. These classic artists I've grown to love and appreciate even more as I've gotten older.

My siblings, who were all older, enjoyed more 80's big hair music, none of which I was too fond of. To go for the total opposite, I kind of turned more towards more established punk bands (Ramones, Misfits, Descendants), 90's alt rock (Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins) and a mix of more indie-ish stuff (Sonic Youth, The Smiths, My Bloody Valentine). All of which, still remain my favorite bands, cause while they were popular, I almost had to discover them on my own.
03:37 PM on 02/26/12
wecameaswaffles
peacemaker
User Info.
I remember listening to my parents' "The Doors" CD's, and them getting mad when I would put on Alabama Song hahah.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests