AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Modern Life Is War - Midnight In America Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.13
Musicianship 9.38
Lyrics 9.5
Production 9.38
Creativity 9.63
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 96%
Inside AP.net

Modern Life Is War - Midnight In America

Reviewed by: Tom Good (09/07/07)
Modern Life Is WarMidnight In America
Release Date: August 21st, 2007
Record Label: Equal Vision Records

Who says the hardcore scene is dead? With experimentation becoming the mehod by which many bands try to distinguish themselves in the genre, Modern Life Is War are taking a different tactic to set themselves apart: making a genuinely good record. Midnight In America doesn’t open any new doors to the style of music. Instead it takes the building blocks of heavy music and expands upon those ideals, making something not necessarily wholly original, but intensely enjoyable.

On their third full length (and debut release for Equal Vision), Modern Life Is War has continued the evolution of their sound proving that songs do not have to be over-the-top fast to be heavy as hell. As with the band’s past records, the slowed down pace contributes to what makes Modern Life Is War have their own signature sound, which has stood the test of time since their inception. With a huge following and all the hype surrounding Midnight In America, does the band succeed in delivering the album hardcore fans so desperately want? Simply put, yes. Modern Life Is War have taken the formula that garnered them praise from fans and critics alike and channeled it into an album that is just as exciting as it is ferocious and relevant. The album bursts from the starting gate with “Useless Generation”, a barnburner of a track in which every snare roll and syncopated rhythm seems carefully executed, giving a sonic middle finger in the face of the glamour of modern hardcore bands. The album (but this track in particular) takes hardcore back to the simplistic barebones of its fetal stages but with the added technicality of today’s scene to prevent it from sounding dated. The molding of these two chronological stages of hardcore is done seamlessly. “Screaming At The Moon”, with its interesting chord progression and song structure, demonstrates the bands knack for creating simple tracks that are just as likely incite a head bob as genuine thought.

The production sounds a bit “rawer” than on Modern Life Is War’s past releases. I consider this one of the strengths of the album. It’s gritty and flies in the face of spandex tight production that seems to make bands lose all the humility they so desperately strive for. When vocalist Jeff Eaton preaches through his guttural screams, it is difficult to focus on anything else but believing him and listening to what he has to say. One listen to “Fuck The Sex Pistols” and you will realize that this isn’t the overproduced glam-core you can take home to your parents. “Pendulum” wouldn’t sound out of place on Hot Cross’ newest release with an ever changing structure that makes more changes in less than 2 minutes than many bands can cram into 10 minute epics. My expectations were high in anticipation for this release and after one listen I realized that I really had no reason to worry. The band has stuck to their guns and made the record that they wanted to make. Eaton is quoted as saying “I would rather not write a song than to write a song about nothing” and that is exactly why this band is worlds ahead of bands out there trying to do the same thing; they don’t just talk, they live it. Sure there are people who will complain that there aren’t ridiculous time signatures. Others will find Midnight In America a little straightforward. This record will be lost on those people and that’s ok, you can’t please everyone. For the rest of us there lies an incredibly solid hardcore record that may not alter your perception of the genre but maintains the integrity that Modern Life Is War has continued to demand since the release of their first album.

Tracklisting1. Useless Generation
2. Screaming at the Moon
3. Stagger Lee
4. Big City Dream
5. Fuck The Sex Pistols
6. Pendulum
7. These Mad Dogs of Glory
8. Night Shift at the Potato Factory
9. The Motorcycle Boy Reigns
10. Humble Streets
11. Midnight In America
Listen to Band NameAP.net Profile | Myspace | Purevolume | Equal Vision Site

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 40
10:14 AM on 09/07/07
Winnie the Pooh
Trust Fund my fav
User Info.
Great album, and the first well-wirtten review I've seen on here in forever. Good job.
10:18 AM on 09/07/07
irthetyler
Coachillin'?
User Info.
pretty good review. glad people gave this a shot after the myspace songs.
10:18 AM on 09/07/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Great album, and the first well-wirtten review I've seen on here in forever. Good job.
10:20 AM on 09/07/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
pretty good review. glad people gave this a shot after the myspace songs.
yeah, they should put "Useless Generation" on their myspace. It's an awesome representation and one of the better songs on the album.
10:23 AM on 09/07/07
irthetyler
Coachillin'?
User Info.
yeah, they should put "Useless Generation" on their myspace. It's an awesome representation and one of the better songs on the album.

every song that had been floating around prior to the release was sooooooooo much better in context. "Stagger Lee" and "Fuck The Sex Pistols" were both awesome live, also.
10:23 AM on 09/07/07
shane hennessey
www.itakebandphotos.com
User Info.
i still need to hear this. ill probably jsut wait till the 21 when i see them to pick up the LP
10:26 AM on 09/07/07
red_eye_inc
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Criminally low score
10:26 AM on 09/07/07
irthetyler
Coachillin'?
User Info.
i still need to hear this. ill probably jsut wait till the 21 when i see them to pick up the LP

i want my LP's to come in the damn mail already!

Their show w/ Trap Them and Trash Talk is going to be sweet.
10:29 AM on 09/07/07
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
User Info.
You failed math, apparently.

82/100 is decently high.
10:34 AM on 09/07/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
That's like a 4 out of 5 stars?
10:35 AM on 09/07/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Yeah, good call, they are great live too from what I have heard. I still haven't had the chance to see them play.
10:47 AM on 09/07/07
screamoURI
it feels like summer in october
User Info.
seeing them live in RI with the bouncing souls in october. i'll def pick this up at the show.
10:55 AM on 09/07/07
Gumbyjag
Everything Evil
User Info.
Great review, I kind of want to check this out now.
10:58 AM on 09/07/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
seeing them live in RI with the bouncing souls in october. i'll def pick this up at the show.
Woah, with the Bouncing Souls? that will be a great show. The Bouncing Souls are always awesome live.

Great review, I kind of want to check this out now.
Go for it! If you like the other stuff the band has done, then you will definitely enjoy it.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums