AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Act As If - The Iron is Hot EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 8
Production 7.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Act As If - The Iron is Hot EP

Reviewed by: tweeder812 (02/28/12)
Act As If - The Iron is Hot EP
Release Date: February 21, 2012
Record Label: Self-released

Lead singer Peter Verdell croons along the lines of a seasoned veteran on the opening track of The Iron Is Hot, "Running Wild". Enter an edgier Death Cab with the flirtatious lyrical element of Boy & Bear. Wait! Before you write this off as "another band mimicking another band" it gets better. This is the start of our journey. It is a search - a search for love, life, finding ourselves. This is the gate, opening into a 16 minute short story. If you are like me you fill in the memories; if not, you make them. Regardless of the "ism" you choose, there is something here to be discovered. A soundtrack to something worthwhile.

On track 2, "Oh My My", Verdell sings with enough credibility to let you believe that the road trip you are on will take you to the person you long to see the most. Just when you are about to get to your destination, you run out of gas and the song ends. Is this a bad thing? Well, it depends on whether or not you hang your hat on Hollywood endings. These guys are from LA and it sounds as though they have seen enough of those endings where everything works out for everyone. Ever seen a movie where the ending leaves you feeling melancholy? One that keeps you thinking "what if?"

I happen to live in the “what if?” version of life. After my initial listen, instead of feeling sad or longing, I found myself thinking ”what if?”. Before I could fully engulf myself in that ever so familiar state and slip into a reminiscent time, track 3, "You’ll Be Alright," starts in with a melancholy keyboard intro that leads into the lyrics, “You run towards me…” At this point nostalgia has completely taken over.

The fourth and final track, “Walk Out on Me”, ends the E.P. on a bright note musically. It is upbeat with catchy guitars. Again, Verdell’s voice and lyrics take over as he sings, “If you walk out on me now…” A fantastic track that gives the listener hope for more music to come from Act As If.

At a time of year where my musical tastes are picky, Act As If drop the E.P. The Iron is Hot. I can breathe again. It is a welcomed soundtrack to that small time frame where the winter bitterness wants to leave, but hangs around like a frat boy who just struck out with the small town good moral girl but is still too proud to walk away. It is a transition to the early spring moments. It is fitting that the E.P. is 4 tracks. Just enough to give you that hope for spring, but not long enough to let you forget winter still lingers. That is why it is the perfect soundtrack. It is long enough and good enough to give you hope and let you hold onto it.

The Iron is Hot is a 16 minute narration of the rest of your life.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests