Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 9 posts
10:25 PM on 02/28/12
kianacarly
I'm living it, leaving it to change
User Info.
Aww, this made me so sad. I've always had a soft spot for Patrick and not gonna lie, I've been crushing on him since TTTYG for all these years no matter what haha. I didn't love his solo album but he has always seemed so nice and grounded. A lot of people will probably tell him to stop whining, but I totally get what he's saying and I can't imagine how that feels. I will always follow his career and be open to anything new he does. I really always imagined him having success behind the scenes after FOB. He is incredibly talented.

The entitlement that some "fans" feel is disgusting. Also, FAD remains their best album. Can't comprehend how anyone could hate it.

People need to realize that instead of telling people to grow a pair or to be thicker skinned, that hey, maybe just stop being a douche is the better solution. Criticism is fine, but some people go out of their way to be cruel and it's not okay.
10:39 PM on 02/28/12
kianacarly
User Info.
This is so fucking distressing. Especially since Folie a Deux is a towering fucking achievement in recent pop. People, ESPECIALLY kids from this godforsaken "scene", suck.

This comment is so true. FAD was so underrated and it's one of my favorite pop albums, and just one of my fav albums in general. I just don't know why people go out of their way to be so awful. I would never buy a ticket for an artist I didn't like or take the time to write them a negative letter. Like who does that? I've ranted about artists I don't like, but to take it to that extra level of harassment and hatred is insane. It's pathetic.
10:48 PM on 02/28/12
kianacarly
User Info.
Especially to give so much vitriol to an artist for taking chances and trying to expand their sound. No matter how much I hate an artist's new sound, I will always respect the fact that they try something new. But apparently people truly do want safe, generic choices from their musicians. Ugh.

Agreed. And you know he would've gotten just as much flak had it been FOB 2.0. And he just seems so nice and genuine and harmless. Just... how could you hate someone who to my knowledge has done nothing but nice things? I hope he keeps doing what he's doing and ignores the negative people. If Hanson can power through it and be amazing I have no doubt that Patrick can. Hopefully he'll be more comfortable with himself someday. It was a really alarming read. Hope he has supportive people around him.
11:34 PM on 02/28/12
kianacarly
User Info.
Hanson disappeared from the public eye for years, worked incredibly hard to rebuild a grassroots fanbase and STILL had morons heckling them to "play 'Mmmmmbop'" at Bamboozle. People just blow.

Yeah there will always be those people, and God knows every time I try to get someone into their newer stuff they just laugh at me and mention Mmmbop, but they seem to love what they do and are in a good place. Patrick seems like the kind of guy who would prefer the intimate club setting to big stadiums anyway. It's just the transitioning period for him I think is really rough, and the negative people aren't helping. It must feel awful to be one of the biggest bands out there to becoming a punchline and pigeon-holed as 'the guy from that emo band.' Hopefully he can move on from the negatitvity and can find happiness doing what he loves.

easy, killer. because i've defended him for his entire career from people who said that he was what he has now become.

Genuinely curious, but what has he become? He seems like the same guy he started out as.
12:27 AM on 02/29/12
kianacarly
User Info.
no, of course not. but i do speak frankly to my friends and in forums, where the whole point is to voice your opinion. i don't think what i said was unnecessary. that album is an embarrassment [IMO]. i have lost a lot of respect for him. it's great and wonderful that he does what he wants (although i think that's kind of expected and not a particularly admirable virtue, unlike others here), but the music that he "wants" to make is throwaway pop garbage. i don't know if i actually have any respect for him anymore if he truly thinks that the music he's making as a solo artist is praiseworthy and not throwaway pop garbage. i'm sure the nickelback guys think their songs are wonderful, but that doesn't mean that anyone here has any extra respect for them or holds back on their negativity, and i honestly would put soul punk in the same realm as nickelback.

Because he's making music you don't like you've lost respect for him? FOB was pop too so I don't know what you're going on about. Pop music isn't automatically throwaway and you're acting like an elitist. It isn't throwaway to him and as long as he's staying true to himself and what he loves then I don't see why you need to lose respect. Hate his solo stuff all you want, but it obviously means something to him and your sense of entitlement is kind of ridiculous.
01:22 AM on 02/29/12
kianacarly
User Info.
i didn't say pop music was automatically throwaway; i said his was. you got mad respect for nickelback then, dawg?

also, what if i said my city was the best?

I dunno. I don't love his solo stuff either but I don't lose respect for an artist when they release something I don't personally care for. That's just idiotic.
08:30 AM on 02/29/12
kianacarly
User Info.
That album made me fall in love with FOB all over again. I have to admit (at the time) they sorta lost me with Infinity on High, although I like that album a lot more now. I can't say enough good things about Folie a Deux.

I totally agree with this. IOH is like the only FOB album I don't care for, but Folie is an amazing pop record. I know some people genuinely enjoy TTTYG and FUTCT more and that's totally okay, but I hate the people who let their nostalgia cloud everything and stop them from being open to the rest of the albums. I know that's not true for all the fans of their older stuff, but I swear there are those types of people out there who always "only like the older stuff" and everything new is sucky or the band has sold out because they're not recreating old records, and it is just stupid.

On another note, people saying "I liked you better fat" to me is akin to those who say "so and so was better before they got sober." Like how discouraging would that be? To work so hard to get healthy and in a better place only to tell someone, and to their face, that you liked them better when they were addicts/unhealthy/miserable. I would be raging and probably a lot less nice about it than Patrick is.
10:06 AM on 02/29/12
kianacarly
User Info.
I think he's just down right now. He'll probably wake up the next day happier. Everyone has their down moments.

He seems like he might have depression though, and I can see why. If he does, I hope he can get the help he needs. It seems to have really affected him.

I think Patrick is missing a very important point. As long are you're happy with your music, everyone else's opinion does not matter. It may not make you any money, but if you're happy in your soul with what you wrote, that's all that matters. Fuck people.

I think he's on the way to realizing this, but it's so much easier said than done. I mentioned Hanson earlier in the thread, but those guys have worked super hard to get where they're at and they are talented guys with great material and are constantly getting heckled to play Mmmbop. There's always going to be jerks yelling "Take This To Your Grave!" or "Sugar We're Going Down!" and it must be so disheartening. I'm sure he's super appreciative of FOB's success, but at the end of the day he's a real person and that harassment hurts. I mean, even if he were to ignore the Internet trolls completely, he has people sending letters to his home and saying stuff to his face. He can't get away. I would become a hermit too.
10:37 AM on 02/29/12
kianacarly
User Info.
Listening to Folie right now and it's just so catchy. Folie haters are crazy. FOB were pretty consistent, even if I don't care for IOH too much.

I will always have a soft spot for FOB, and for Patrick especially, who was one of my first crushes haha.

If nothing else, his blog post made me listen to their music again for the first time in a while and I'm really glad for that.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos