Password

Album Review

Memoryhouse - The Slideshow Effect Album Cover

Memoryhouse - The Slideshow Effect

Reviewed by
Memoryhouse - The Slideshow Effect
Record Label: Sub Pop
Release Date: February 28th, 2012

This review is a user submitted review from Broden Terry. You can see all of Broden Terry's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
05:41 AM on 03/01/12
Broden Terry
I'm glad I built myself an igloo
User Info.
I've heard some discussion, not necessarily here on this website but in a variety of publications, saying what a disappointment this release is and how the band have sacrificed their trademark sound for something far more pop oriented and polished. Now, I've had this album for the past three/four months, and initially I couldn't warm to it either. What I'm saying is that if you're a returning fan who is a little upset and disappointed in the lack of reverb and dreaminess this debut offers, just persevere. Don't give up on it because you'll eventually connect with it, love it and adore it equally as much as I do.

Stream the album in its entirety.
06:29 AM on 03/01/12
jbwillisfan
User Info.
why do i seem to be the first one commenting on your reviews? i've been listening to this nonstop since it started streaming so you don't need to convince me how good this is. i just hope people dont toss it aside if they don't like it straight a way. your insight is invaluable too. one of the best reads & reviews on this website. congrats.
06:36 AM on 03/01/12
Broden Terry
I'm glad I built myself an igloo
User Info.
why do i seem to be the first one commenting on your reviews? i've been listening to this nonstop since it started streaming so you don't need to convince me how good this is. i just hope people dont toss it aside if they don't like it straight a way. your insight is invaluable too. one of the best reads & reviews on this website. congrats.

I just figured out you follow me on Twitter, so perhaps that's how you're arriving here first? But thank you so much, you're way too kind. I'm a little nervous as to how people will react to the length, but I love to incorporate detail whenever and wherever I can. Hopefully it doesn't alienate too many individuals. Is it too early for you to select a favorite song or two?
12:33 PM on 03/01/12
ChaseTx
Good review, I like what little I've heard.
03:34 PM on 03/01/12
XLT917
We're never dead unless we give up.
User Info.
Can you please write a book some day? You have such a way with words. Wonderful review, wonderful album. Your reviews have a way of becoming part of my listening experience as much as the music. Even if it is an album I already love, once I read your review, I get so much more from the music than I thought possible.
06:13 PM on 03/01/12
Argentine
When I die, rap dies; Destiny Bond.
User Info.
So excited to hear this. Great review.
06:21 AM on 03/02/12
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
User Info.
My friend was telling me how much Memoryhouse sucks now, so I wasn't sure what to expect with this listening for the first time. I enjoy it after the first listen. Don't see why so many have issues with it. Pitchfork did not like this at all, but who would have expected otherwise.

The intro track is fantastic.
08:03 AM on 03/03/12
CheckeredFloors
nah
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Definitely felt like it was lacking something after the first few listens but I've really warmed up to it since. There's just something so honest and welcoming. Idk. It's good shit though, that's for sure.
10:05 AM on 03/03/12
cwhit412
User Info.
Album is pretty cool. weirdly, reminds me of lydia at some points, which makes no sense to me, but I totally hear it
06:33 PM on 03/03/12
seimagery
User Info.
Hate to side with Pitchfork here, but to me they did toss away what made them interesting to me. Few good jams on here but mostly a letdown.
04:14 AM on 03/04/12
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
It took a few listens for the tracks to really separate themselves in my mind. At first they all sounded kind of similar to me. My only real criticism of the album is that she sounds kind of bored at some points. She has a nice voice, but could have sang with a little more emotion imo. Really good album overall though
08:04 PM on 03/04/12
thesafeword
-
User Info.
I love this album.
01:27 PM on 03/05/12
iden22
close call
User Info.
I'm really enjoying this. Love Denise's voice.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos