Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 53
05:05 PM on 03/01/12
harley7733
Reluctant Registered User
User Info.
I like Steel Train and all but Some Nights is still way better than anything they've ever put out.
I'll give you Some Nights over Trampoline but not S/T, just no. Some Night's back half is really weak and forgetful.
05:13 PM on 03/01/12
ship of fools
hello
User Info.
How come Jack can do fun and Steel Train but Nate can't do fun and The Format? It's been 4 years since the hiatus...I would love to hear some more Sam and Nate. Especially since Some Nights lacked any luster, in my humble opinion.
06:09 PM on 03/01/12
NathanH
User Info.
How come Jack can do fun and Steel Train but Nate can't do fun and The Format? It's been 4 years since the hiatus...I would love to hear some more Sam and Nate. Especially since Some Nights lacked any luster, in my humble opinion.
this
06:13 PM on 03/01/12
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
I'll give you Some Nights over Trampoline but not S/T, just no. Some Night's back half is really weak and forgetful.
Easily, not even close. I think Some Night's back half is awesome, love every song on it. The S/T has a lot more weak tracks imo and nothing on there comes close to the best on SN.
Because Jack's doing two different jobs, Nate would be doing the same thing in both bands and I'm guessing The Format would be more or less the same as fun. by now. Plus I'm guessing whatever the reason they originally broke up was, it's still a factor.
07:30 PM on 03/01/12
ship of fools
hello
User Info.
Easily, not even close. I think Some Night's back half is awesome, love every song on it. The S/T has a lot more weak tracks imo and nothing on there comes close to the best on SN.

Because Jack's doing two different jobs, Nate would be doing the same thing in both bands and I'm guessing The Format would be more or less the same as fun. by now. Plus I'm guessing whatever the reason they originally broke up was, it's still a factor.
Well, I don't know much about their breakup, but The Format's wiki page says

"We have just put out word that we will not be making a new Format album. Please understand this was a tough decision and we're both upset about it. While we accept there will be false speculation as to why, understand that Sam and I remain extremely close and in fact are still passing the Twin Peaks box set back and forth in an attempt to figure out who REALLY killed Laura Palmer."

It goes onto say

When asked about the band getting back together, Ruess acknowledged that "every one of us like to remain optimistic and hopeful that it one day could happen."

It sounds more to me that Nate simply does not want to, even though Jack's showing it is clearly possible.....which is a huge shame.
08:00 PM on 03/01/12
VinnyJ5
User Info.

Agreed. Fun is blowing up but the album as a whole isn't as strong as Trampoline or S/T IMO. Aim and Ignite is a stronger album than Some Nights- it just doesn't have as much commercial appeal.
08:16 PM on 03/01/12
dani1292
@dani1292
User Info.
I'm extremely happy about fun.'s success, so if it means that a new Steel Train record will take a little longer than normal, then so be it. As long as Jack keeps making music I will be forever grateful. Whatever he makes will be worth the wait, I'm sure.
08:17 PM on 03/01/12
punchlinekid182
This wind changed me
User Info.
Had no idea the two bands were related
09:22 PM on 03/01/12
Yo!Yvonne!
We were thinking of evolving.
User Info.
I was kinda worried steel train would break up.
09:24 PM on 03/01/12
fna4
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I like both bands but the last Steel Train album is miles ahead of Some Nights. I think some people are letting their happiness about fun getting the recognition they deserve cloud their judgement of Some Nights, imo it's a very mediocre album given Nate and Jack's previous output.
09:45 PM on 03/01/12
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
saw steel train open for the spill canvas once. thought they put on a decent show, but i wasn't too into the music. they did a big singalong at the end that looked like it was a blast haha. would rather have fun., though.
09:48 PM on 03/01/12
StepsInADance
taeyeonlogic.tumblr.com
User Info.
For some reason I've never liked fun. or The Format, but I always loved Steel Train.
07:52 AM on 03/02/12
harley7733
User Info.
Agreed. Fun is blowing up but the album as a whole isn't as strong as Trampoline or S/T IMO. Aim and Ignite is a stronger album than Some Nights- it just doesn't have as much commercial appeal.
I agree. Aim and Ignite is a masterpiece, when you compare it to Some Nights, it just makes SN look even worse. I have a hard time believing SN is going to have longevity, it's a ten track album with just only four of the tracks (IMO) being impressive. The rest are either forgetful songs that aren't necessarily terrible, just lackluster and half-assed lyrically, and the others, well, are "It Gets Better", where I find myself asking what the fuck were they thinking (speaking of WTF, where was that song on the album?) making a song that would sound better placed on the Disney Channel. Anyway, yeah, out of both of Nate and Jack's discographies, Some Nights is the turd. It's like what someone else already said in here, people are letting their happiness about fun.'s deserved success cloud their judgement of Some Nights, which is just a "Good" not great album, if were being kind, and a mediocre effort if we're being real. Doesn't hold a candle to any of their other respective albums.
07:53 AM on 03/02/12
harley7733
User Info.
I like both bands but the last Steel Train album is miles ahead of Some Nights. I think some people are letting their happiness about fun getting the recognition they deserve cloud their judgement of Some Nights, imo it's a very mediocre album given Nate and Jack's previous output.
You sir, have the right idea.
08:37 AM on 03/02/12
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
I agree. Aim and Ignite is a masterpiece, when you compare it to Some Nights, it just makes SN look even worse. I have a hard time believing SN is going to have longevity, it's a ten track album with just only four of the tracks (IMO) being impressive. The rest are either forgetful songs that aren't necessarily terrible, just lackluster and half-assed lyrically, and the others, well, are "It Gets Better", where I find myself asking what the fuck were they thinking (speaking of WTF, where was that song on the album?) making a song that would sound better placed on the Disney Channel. Anyway, yeah, out of both of Nate and Jack's discographies, Some Nights is the turd. It's like what someone else already said in here, people are letting their happiness about fun.'s deserved success cloud their judgement of Some Nights, which is just a "Good" not great album, if were being kind, and a mediocre effort if we're being real. Doesn't hold a candle to any of their other respective albums.
I honestly have never listened to Steel Train (I know the rock I am living under must be huge) but I agree with you completely on Some Nights. I will check out Steel Train. I loved Aim & Ignite immensely. I liked a few songs from Some Nights but nothing was mind blowing. People are praising that album as one of the greatest pop albums released in a long time but they seemed to of tried too hard.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos