AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Meg Myers - 06.03.12

Interviewed by
Meg Myers - 06.03.12Meg Myers has been making some pretty big waves lately, particularly with the release of her single "Monster". We recently had the chance to speak to her as she prepared for the release of her new and free EP, Daughter In The Choir, which can be found here. It's safe to say this is definitely an artist to look out for and to expect great things from.

AP: Hi Meg, thank you so much for doing this. How are you doing today/where in the world are you and what is your day consisting of today?

Hello, thank you for having me. I'm doing kinda crappy...I got suspended from school today and I peed my pants :(

AP: How did you get started writing music? Was there a particular moment in your life that sparked the process in particular?

I got started around 12 playing piano and bass, then moved to writing on guitar at 13. I cant remember an exact moment that I decided it was what I wanted to do. I loved music, drawing, writing, acting, dancing...but music was more available to me because my parents and older brother had instruments and it became the easiest way for me to express my insanity.

AP: There has been a really positive response to your recent releases, particularly around Absolutepunk.net. How does it feel to have such positivity coming your way already?

It feels great, especially when you're doing something you love. Thank you for all your support!!

AP: You obviously have a close working relationship with your friend Doctor Rosen Rosen, how much do you think this has influenced not only your writing and recording but also your success so far?

Well, I've spent 12-13 years writing and playing shows but i can honestly say I've never felt so positive about my songs, recordings, and capability to do what I love for a living. So he's been a HUGE influence.

AP: Are there any plans to hit the road in the near future?

Yes for sure. Hopefully this year. Just need a dollar.

AP: Speaking of tours, if you could tour with any other three artists, who would you choose?

I like Fever Ray a lot, so maybe them, Arcade Fire and Pinback, even though I'm not really in the same genre.

AP: And on this tour, who would you pick for you’re ideal backing band?

Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers

AP: Songwriters obviously approach the process in very different ways with some finding it easy to produce results in a short space of time and others taking their time over each layer. What is a typical songwriting process like for you?

It always changes. I mean, I used to write songs on the acoustic or on piano and have them finished in a day or two but as I get older , I take much more time. Also, working with Doctor Rosen Rosen has been a very positive influence on my writing style and opened up my world.

AP: Is there any one of your songs that you feel a closer connection to for any reason in particular and if so, why?

"Monster" is the most emotional for me. But "Monster", "Curbstomp" and "After You" are the ones that hit me the most. Not that the other ones don't, because they all do, otherwise I wouldn't enjoy playing them and that's no fun. It's not something I can describe very well, those 3 just make me feel the most.

AP: What sort of music did you grow up around, are there any particular albums or bands that really remind you of your childhood?

I grew up with a lot of Police/Sting, Dire Straights, Enya, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix etc. and also a lot of classical and Celtic music. Dream of the Blue Turtles and Ten Summoner's Tales by Sting are two amazing albums. "Brothers in Arms", the song by Dire Straights, that one really brings me back. There's a bunch.

AP: Can you tell us some of the artists you’re really enjoying listening to at the moment?

Arcade Fire, Nina Simone, Simon & Garfunkel, Balmorhea, Other Lives, Pinback ("June" is my favourite Pinback song), Beach House, Philip Wesley, Mogwai, Ludovico Einaudi, Jose Gonzalez, Kurt Vile, Gotye, Ratatat, The Record Summer, Dustin O'Halloran, Asap Rocky, NIN, Tori Amos, Smashing Pumpkins, TV on the Radio, Beck, Bon Iver, The Cure, Diana Ross, Local Natives, Fleet Foxes, King Krule, Soley, Twin Sister, the Drive soundtrack and Eternal Sunshine soundtrack. But really, most of the time, I put classical, jazz or oldies on Pandora.

AP: What are your plans and aspirations for the rest of 2012?

Keep making music, tour most definitely, move back to the east coast, beat depression, walk on moss.

AP: I propose that we get your YouTube clips and skits commissioned by some big TV company, by the way. Has to be done. I'll put in the hard work and only request entry to your future shows, deal?

Holy shit! DEAL. DONE.

AP: Thank you so much for taking the time to talk to us. We cannot wait to hear more from you in the very near future.

Thank you for your hospitality.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
08:34 AM on 03/06/12
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
She's so great and so fun too. Listening as we speak.
09:54 AM on 03/06/12
luckykaruba
Jazz Baby
User Info.
Great interview Kyle. Gonna go listen to the album now.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos