AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

New Found Glory - From the Screen to Your... Album Cover

New Found Glory - From the Screen to Your...

Reviewed by
New Found GloryFrom The Screen To Your Stereo Part II
Release Date: September 18, 2007
Record Label: Drive Thru
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
The majority of movies that make a lot of money at the box office are followed up with a sequel: Jurassic Park, Spider-Man, Star Wars, etc. New Found Glory, a band that has already accomplished many things, are trying to make this concept work on record. So, the Coral Springs, Florida, quintet hopped into their De Lorean, signed with the label who jump started their career (Drive Thru for this one record deal), and created the sequel to the fan-favorite 2000 EP, From The Screen To Your Stereo.

This time around, NFG recorded an entire album’s worth of covers from famous movies, such as Donnie Darko, The Breakfast Club, and Napoleon Dynamite. The album also features a large list of guests, featuring the likes of Chris Carrabba, Max Bemis, Will Pugh, Patrick Stump, Adam Lazzara, Sheri Dupree, and Lisa Loeb. The end result is eleven covers that perfectly display the band at their finest: energy, fun, and full out effort. The production of Thom Panunzio (whom produced 2006’s Coming Home) and the band is nearly perfect. You won’t find a better cover album on the market.

NFG takes all eleven covers and inject their signature sound that thousands have come to know and love. “The King Of Wishful Thinking,” originally performed by Go West and appearing on Pretty Woman, features great tandem vocals from Jordan Pundik and Fall Out Boy’s Patrick Stump. Adam Lazzara of Taking Back Sunday fame lends his voice to the seductive cover of “Love Fool,” while Max Bemis belts it out on “Crazy For You.” And of course, each track features bombastic guitar work from Chad Gilbert and Steve Klein, as well as tight drumming from Cyrus Bolooki.

The band nicely recreates the anthemic feeling of “Don’t You Forget About Me,” adding in a few screams from Gilbert. NFG tries their hand at the Goo Goo Dolls beautiful track, “Iris,” which NFG gives a good effort. Will Pugh’s vocals are underwhelming, but musically, NFG brings out the passion from the original recording very well. My absolute favorite song is the cover of Lisa Loeb’s “Stay,” in which Loeb lends her voice to the cover of her own song. It’s extremely cool, and the chemistry between her voice and Pundik’s is immaculate.

Some people will complain about New Found Glory recording a covers album instead of working on new material, but after hearing the energy and attitude of Part II, you’ll be glad New Found Glory did this. Really, this album is for us, the fans. It’s an album where we can flashback to the early days of NFG, when most of us were getting into their music. This is a great covers album, and will be perfect for those long road trips. So even though New Found Glory may be growing older, they’ll never be outgrown by their fans nor will they ever forsake their fans. From The Screen To The Stereo Part II proves that.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Kiss Me from She's All That, originally performed by Sixpence None the Richer
2. It Ain’t Me Babe (ft. Sherri DuPree-Gilbert of Eisley) from Walk the Line, originally performed by Bob Dylan
3. The Promise (ft. Chris Carrabba of Dashboard Confessional) from Napoleon Dynamite, originally performed by When In Rome
4. The King of Wishful Thinking (ft. Patrick Stump of Fall Out Boy) from Pretty Woman, originally performed by Go West
5. Stay (ft. Lisa Loeb) from Reality Bites, originally performed by Lisa Loeb
6. Lovefool (ft. Adam Lazzara of Taking Back Sunday) from William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet, originally performed by the Cardigans
7. Iris (ft. Will Pugh of Cartel) from City of Angels, originally performed by Goo Goo Dolls
8. Don’t You Forget About Me from The Breakfast Club, originally performed by Simple Minds
9. J'y Suis Jamais Allé from Amélie, originally performed by Yann Tiersen
10. Crazy for You (ft. Max Bemis of Say Anything) from Vision Quest, originally performed by Madonna
11. Head Over Heels from Donnie Darko, originally performed by Tears for Fears
Produced by: Thom Panunzio and New Found Glory

New Found Glory are:
Jordan Pundik – vocals
Chad Gilbert – guitar
Steve Klein – guitar
Ian Grushka – bass
Cyrus Bolooki – drums

Official Website; Official Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 78
09:43 AM on 09/13/07
DI Pistola
tune in Tokyo
User Info.
Who's got two thumbs and is stoked about NFG and this record?
Yeah. This guy.

Solid review.
09:44 AM on 09/13/07
grizbo
Here's my card.
User Info.
Great review. Can't wait to get this.
09:46 AM on 09/13/07
Trainsaw
User Info.
decent review, i don't see how this warrants a 8.5 on creativity, NFG bascially took the pre-written songs, sped up the tempo and threw in some power chords....
09:46 AM on 09/13/07
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think Will's vocals are awesome on "Iris." That's the only dispute I have with this review.
09:50 AM on 09/13/07
March_Faster!!
まくどなるどなしじゃいきられない。
User Info.
Its a fun album overall, but the song selection is incredibly inferior to that of the FTSTYS. Feels more like just a cover album than a movie song cover album. I don't associate "stay", "kiss me" or even "the promise" with movies, just as being popular songs from years past.
09:50 AM on 09/13/07
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
decent review, i don't see how this warrants a 8.5 on creativity, NFG bascially took the pre-written songs, sped up the tempo and threw in some power chords....
oh it says 8.5? It's supposed to be 7.5.
09:52 AM on 09/13/07
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
I can't even hear Chris Carrabba in "The Promise." What does he sing?
09:54 AM on 09/13/07
Trainsaw
User Info.
oh it says 8.5? It's supposed to be 7.5.

it did, i guess you changed it, it dropped from a 87 to an 85
09:55 AM on 09/13/07
skyphoenix
One Among the Fence
User Info.
I don't know what it is but I just can't stand Jordan's vocals on any of NFG's songs or any of these covers. I try to give them a chance time and time again but I can't get past the fact that it sounds like he's plugging his nose when he sings.
09:58 AM on 09/13/07
Trainsaw
User Info.
I don't know what it is but I just can't stand Jordan's vocals on any of NFG's songs or any of these covers. I try to give them a chance time and time again but I can't get past the fact that it sounds like he's plugging his nose when he sings.

it took me a little bit of time to get over it, but once i did I enjoyed the cd a lot. Its definitely a fun cd to listen to.

The only gripe I have w/ the cd is on "King of Wishful Thinking" they should have let Patrick Stump have a bigger part in singing in the song. I think his voice would have been great for the ending part.
10:04 AM on 09/13/07
GaryCondit
User
User Info.
Its a fun album overall, but the song selection is incredibly inferior to that of the FTSTYS. Feels more like just a cover album than a movie song cover album. I don't associate "stay", "kiss me" or even "the promise" with movies, just as being popular songs from years past.

The truth is that you wouldn't have even heard Kiss Me or Stay had they not been in She's All That and Reality Bites (respectively).

I do agree that the song selection on this one is inferior from the first. In all honesty, they should have just made it an ep like the last one and cut out the filler. The cover of "Don't You Forget About Me" is horrid. I love this band and all but that one cover I skip every time. Overall I give this album a 6 out of 10 and just hope that when i see them next they bust out Glory Of Love so I can relive my youth, seeing them in a catering hall and the stage being crowded with people screaming along.
10:07 AM on 09/13/07
Shatter590
Shinigami Is Watching You
User Info.
i wish i could write reviews like this guy...

i like it, but not all of it (the album, i mean).
10:26 AM on 09/13/07
red_eye_inc
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Song selection is the real downfall of this record
10:31 AM on 09/13/07
sweetforever
User Info.
Well written review Drew, I really like this album, especially Iris, considering its one of my all time favorite songs.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos