AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 40 of 40
03:03 PM on 03/07/12
Kapa73
User Info.
Ok, we get it. They are doing well on the charts. Chart success in in no way an indicator of quality. Aim and Ignite is a superior album on all possible levels. Nate Ruess is one of the best musicians of our time, but the song that is getting them so much popularity IS incredibly mediocre.
You say on "all possible levels" but I'm curious what you mean? I could understand someone not liking the new one because it's less organic than ignite, but I don't know if that makes it "better/worse" as much as it makes it "different."

I find the new album much more appealing than Aim. I dig the fact that they approached the project as a rock record with hip-hop production. When I read/heard their description of "Some Nights" the track as a combination of Paul Simon and Kanye West's "Power" I thought it was fucking genius. Just a smart approach that worked out incredibly well because of all the talent these dudes have.

I'm also working on a theory that anyone on this site the reveres Kanye's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy as much as I do will tend to like this album. I see a lot of similarities between the two and its amazing.
03:04 PM on 03/07/12
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
We Are Young's a great fucking song. It's one of my least favourite songs on the new record but I still think people calling it mediocre is dumb.
03:46 PM on 03/07/12
neo506
thy foes profanely rage
User Info.
fun. becomes the first multi-member rock band to conquer the Hot 100 with its first entry on the chart since Nickelback arrived with its four-week No. 1 "How You Remind Me" in December 2001/January 2002. The song went on to become Billboard's top title of 2002. (Electronic/alternative act Owl City ruled the Hot 100 with debut single "Fireflies" in 2009, but the name served as an alias for its only member, Adam Young). fun. becomes the first rock band in more than a decade to send a debut Billboard Hot 100 hit to No. 1, as "We Are Young," featuring Janelle Monae, ascends 3-1.

Until this week, no rock group had led at all since Coldplay topped the June 28, 2008, Hot 100 with "Viva La Vida."

via
03:54 PM on 03/07/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Ok, we get it. They are doing well on the charts. Chart success in in no way an indicator of quality. Aim and Ignite is a superior album on all possible levels. Nate Ruess is one of the best musicians of our time, but the song that is getting them so much popularity IS incredibly mediocre.
... to you.

I think Some Nights is better.
03:57 PM on 03/07/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
fun. becomes the first multi-member rock band to conquer the Hot 100 with its first entry on the chart since Nickelback arrived with its four-week No. 1 "How You Remind Me" in December 2001/January 2002. The song went on to become Billboard's top title of 2002. (Electronic/alternative act Owl City ruled the Hot 100 with debut single "Fireflies" in 2009, but the name served as an alias for its only member, Adam Young). fun. becomes the first rock band in more than a decade to send a debut Billboard Hot 100 hit to No. 1, as "We Are Young," featuring Janelle Monae, ascends 3-1.

Until this week, no rock group had led at all since Coldplay topped the June 28, 2008, Hot 100 with "Viva La Vida."

via
Worth reposting as its own article.
04:49 PM on 03/07/12
ghelms88
Back by Popular Demand
User Info.
I guess it's because I don't listen to very "mainstream" stuff that makes it to radio. It's a catch 22 where I want to see a band I love succeed, but I still want to see them at small venues and feel that intimate connection that gets lost as the capacity limit rises. But I can't help but think about if this song had not been on Glee or the radio, would people still think its great? Or is mainstream culture tricking us into liking it? Or how many albums will never get radio play or tv exposure that are utterly amazing, but will get the chance and go unnoticed. It's just an interesting beast, the music industry.
It's like that with television and film industry. For example, look at Community. A hilarious show with great characters, yet it was put on hiatus while other shows like Two and a Half Men get over 10 million viewers a week. It's sad but it's reality.

Oh, and a LOT of albums will never get the radio play they deserve. A LOT.
05:12 PM on 03/07/12
Alison1488
____
User Info.
It's like that with television and film industry. For example, look at Community. A hilarious show with great characters, yet it was put on hiatus while other shows like Two and a Half Men get over 10 million viewers a week. It's sad but it's reality.

Oh, and a LOT of albums will never get the radio play they deserve. A LOT.
It really is the nature of the beast, but my mind explodes just thinking about it. But I heard a comedian on the radio make a really good point about that. Generic appeals to a wide population. More specifically tuned tastes, whether it be in comedy, tv, films, or music, tend to have much more quality and depth, and are generally better, but it isolates most of the population. So, in theory, to gain popularity, you kind of have to mainstream your sound, dumb down your comedy, or remake the same movie over and over again.

I don't want what I'm saying to come off as me not loving fun. or thinking they don't deserve this. I just think the rush to fame and the fact it was this album and this song doesn't sit well with me. I think the album is catchy as hell, but I almost feel like they adjusted their sound to fit into the mainstream culture.
07:23 PM on 03/07/12
Jat
Where you been?
User Info.
I won't pretend I've known who these guys are since they formed, but I have listened to the new album and few off of Aim and Ignite, and I really like Some Nights... but We Are Young, in my opinion, is extremely annoying. I know a bunch of people who only bought We Are Young and say "Yeah! I love this band!"
08:30 PM on 03/07/12
fna4
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Is it just me or is this site obsessing over this albums mainstream recognition? When did charts and getting songs on Glee start to matter so damn much? Fuck.
10:29 PM on 03/07/12
stonecoldfox
You can't afford to live like this
User Info.
I won't pretend I've known who these guys are since they formed, but I have listened to the new album and few off of Aim and Ignite, and I really like Some Nights... but We Are Young, in my opinion, is extremely annoying. I know a bunch of people who only bought We Are Young and say "Yeah! I love this band!"
It's the same thing that happened with Fall Out Boy, Yellowcard, etc (any band that is revered on this site) when then release a successful mainstream single. People become huge "fans" because they like one song and then, after ignoring the rest of their album, they call them a one hit wonder.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos