AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Harris Grade - Sea In You Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Harris Grade - Sea In You

Reviewed by: MusicTalks (03/07/12)
Harris Grade - Sea In You
Label: Unsigned
Release Date: September 20th, 2011

I’ve reviewed many albums for AP.net in the five years since I started frequenting the site. Many of the first ones were albums that I was listening to and felt compelled to write what I thought about them. Many didn’t fit the mold of AP.net, but it was more of a creative outlet than anything else. I would review just about anything – from Soulja Boy to Bone Thugs to G-Unit to Marc Broussard to Cartel. Then more and more I found myself perusing the new albums that Linda posted on the site because I wanted fresh and relatively unheard music. I’d pick three or four out of the hundreds on the list that caught my attention. More often than not I ended up a little disappointed in the final product after the first listen was so promising. The last review I did (Halocene) turned the tide a little bit, but when I listened to Harris Grade’s EP Sea In You, the tides completely shifted. It’s only a 3 song EP, but there’s something about the music that really hit a chord more than anything else I’ve reviewed in the last year.

The record starts with “Mission: Control.” It’s a rock/pop anthem and it’s pretty intense all the way through. Vocals (Robyn August) are spectacular and the accompaniment is equal to the task. I’m big on great vocals that are also unique and not generic/cliché. There’s something about the vocals that I connected to like I haven’t been able to on some of my recent reviews. I hear some Go Radio/original Mayday Parade, some The Script, some There For Tomorrow, a little Yellowcard. It's a mix of a bunch of different vocals, but it creates a great sound. “How To Catch a Bullet” is also a pretty rock-heavy track, but it’s incredibly catchy and is something I could hear on the radio – if I actually listened to the radio anymore. And just like that, the last song of the EP, “Oceans” comes up. It’s a bit slower, but the drumline (Greg Fulleman) is exceptional and the chorus is loud, catchy, dark, powerful, and contagious. It seems like the album was over before it even really began, but all three tracks are great. “Oceans” is probably my favorite and had me wanting to hear more. The band is currently in the middle of making more music, so hopefully it’ll be sooner rather than later that we get to hear more Harris Grade. An empty “looking forward to their next stuff” wouldn’t do this band/album justice. Of the last ten album reviews I’ve written, I’d have to say I’m the most excited to hear more music from this band. If you’ve read the other reviews and know my musical taste, you’ll know that’s a pretty big deal for me. I hope this band is a big deal for you after you give this EP a listen.

Rating: 8.5/10

Track Listing:
1. Mission: Control
2. How To Catch a Bullet
3. Oceans

Band members: Caleb Healey, Alex Von Hollen, Robyn August, Jason Friday, Greg Fulleman

http://www.harrisgrade.us
http://www.facebook.com/harrisgrade
http://www.twitter.com/harrisgrade

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums