AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Thursday Discussion: Top 10 Underrated Artists You Should Listen to...

Posted by - 04:29 PM on 03/08/12
I've spent the past few Thursdays focusing on bands and albums I have found to be "underrated." Two weeks ago I picked the top 10 underrated bands that are no longer around, and last week it was "underrated albums" from bands that also have classics. What I've enjoyed most about these topics is that it allows me to talk about bands that I adore, but don't get as much love as I think they should. In the current musical landscape, we have a lot of choices with where we can spend our finite time. We can only check out so many bands on a daily/weekly/yearly basis ... and that means, inevitably, something is going to be left out. What I wanted to do this week, as I wrap up my "underrated" theme, is look at 10 artists that, today, I think are underrated and deserving of your time. These are the bands and artists that I think you should spend some time checking out. Maybe you've seen their name around here (if I'm doing my job, I hope that's the case) ... so maybe you're already a fan. Or maybe you just haven't had the time to check them out quite yet, or wrote them off for one reason or another.

Whatever the case may be: I hope you take the time today to check them out.

I did my best to span a variety of genres, explain what it is I like about each act, why I think they're particularly "underrated," and then provide some places to start listening to them. This is the list I'm going to start sending people when they ask, "who should I check out?" Of course, putting some limits on myself means I'm going to miss countless other artists that definitely fall into this category. Also, with that, it's pretty clear that I fall into the same traps as everyone else. I find myself not paying attention to a variety of artists/acts out there as well ... so, please let me know what your lists are in the replies. I'd love to check out all the great music, and your list can become your own go-to response when people ask you who they should be listening to. Share that sucker. That's the great part of the internet. Posting the bands you think people should be checking out on your twitter, facebook, or tumblr pages is exactly how people find out about them.

Note: For my definition of "underrated" when making this list I went with bands that do have a following (it's just not as big as maybe other bands in their category are), and I went with currently active bands this time. So, yes, there will be acts on this list that are technically bigger than others - but, hey, it's my list.

And with that ... please spend today finding something new to love!

1) The Damnwells
NoteWhen someone asks me about a band to check out: this is one of the first recommendations I've been dropping on people lately. Their most recent album No One Listens to the Band Anymore is the kind of thing that I think is instantly accessible for fans of all kinds of genres. The lyrics are relatable, the music walks the line between pop-folk and rock - and there's something about it that just draws me in. It's got all of the intangibles - and I think the more people that get exposed to these guys - the bigger their fanbase will grow.

Listen: Rdio - Spotify

2) Good Old War
NoteTheir new album just came out - and I would be remiss if I didn't do everything I could to convince you to listen to it. I feel like the world is sleeping on this release - even though it's one of the most harmony filled albums in recent memory. It's the kind of album that you'll love when lying in the grass on a sunny day, and the kind of album that if you put on and your parents walked by your room - they'd probably admit to actually enjoying. That's a compliment. I'd love nothing more than to see these guys blow up and be everywhere next year. Great songwriters. Great musicians. Great vocals.

3) Butch Walker
NoteArguably the "biggest" act I included on this list ... but for some reason, one of the best song-writers alive today continues to get overlooked by a large majority of people. The last album is just one in a ridiculously great catalog of hits. He's writing pop-songs that most bands wish they could write. Has better vocals than anyone on reality TV, and yet he's not a huge star in the music world? Something's wrong with that. Look, summer is coming - do yourself a favor and just add all his albums to your playlist. Grab your friends. Go for a drive. Turn it up. And you'll thank me later.

4) Cary Brothers
NoteThere hasn't been a single friend that I've recommended Cary to in the past 5 years that hasn't thanked me for it later. It's one of those go-to recommendations for me. I just know that when someone asks for something new to listen to - this is one that they'll end up loving. Great songwriting, great voice, great lyrics ... it's the kind of music you can get lost in. I have no idea why more people haven't been on this bandwagon. Under Control was (is?) so underrated it drives me insane.

5) Astronautalis
NoteAstronautalis is a weird one. It's a mix of hip-hop and indie-influence that to me - just blends perfectly together. The albums have a feel of something unique - while still maintaining a level of respect for the listener. If you haven't given it a try yet - I think there's something extremely special here.

6) Augustana
Notein my opinion, the last two albums from Augustana are two of the most criminally underrated albums of the past few years. They're brilliant roots-rock pop albums that embody everything I love about music. I feel like everyone should own both, the band should be all over the radio, on TV, and headlining stadium tours.

7) Marianas Trench
NoteI've been drifting further away from pop-punk in the past few years. I still have a soft spot for it, but there's not a lot in the genre that's really catching my attention lately. However, this pop-punk/rock/opera band has definitely got me looking in their direction. They're ridiculously catchy. Yet, they're not afraid to try different things with their music - I respect that. They seem genuinely interested in exploring the full realms of pop-music, and their sound. They've kind of picked up where Cartel's "Chroma" and Fall Out Boy's "Folie a Deux" left off ... it walks that line of the genre - and I think it does it really well.

8) A Wilhelm Scream
NoteI think I've said before how when I listen to this band: I hate all other music. Yeah, that's still the case. I don't really give a shit about clean vocals/screams or whatever all the crab-core bands are doing these days. But every time I see someone talking about I See Stars or Emmure or any of that shit - I want to give them A Wilhelm Scream album.

9) Stars of Track and Field
NoteIf you like bands like Jimmy Eat World, The Get Up Kids, or Death Cab for Cutie - you'll love Stars of Track and Field. I see them talked about so rarely - I feel like they're completely under the radar of most music listeners, and yet I can't stop spinning A Time For Lions.

10) I Am Arrows
NoteThis is one of those bands that I think will get your toe tapping - and you'll immediately be mad you didn't listen to them earlier. They've got this indie-pop thing going on that just sounds great. It's catchy without being repetitive. Emotive without being sappy. It's got a throw-back pop sound at times and comes from the multi-talented Andy Burrows. It's one of those albums where I just think you need to go listen to it ...

... and there we have it. Hope you check them all out, add a bunch of stuff to your playlist - and get lost in the music. This is the kind of discussion I envisioned when I started this website: talking about bands the whole world hasn't found ... yet ... and helping them get exposure.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 291
04:32 PM on 03/08/12
James Shotwell
User Info.
Great picks. I feel like Jason has been carrying the Cary Brothers torch since they appeared on the Garden State soundtrack
04:32 PM on 03/08/12
KenFleet
Farewell Fighter
User Info.
...And Farewell Fighter.

(had to)
04:34 PM on 03/08/12
anamericangod
User Info.
Butch Walker is my hero.

"I celebrate the guy's entire catalog!"
Jake Denning
User Info.
Fences and Best Coast -- I feel like those two bands should be MUCH MUCH MUCH bigger than they already are.
texan4lif281
User Info.
I will be listening to all of these right now.
04:35 PM on 03/08/12
cwhit412
don't ask
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Fences and Best Coast -- I feel like those two bands should be MUCH MUCH MUCH bigger than they already are.
Best Coast is already huge amongst the p4k crowd.
04:35 PM on 03/08/12
cwhit412
don't ask
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
...And Farewell Fighter.

(had to)
Absofuckinglutely. More people will know the name by the end of the year.

HI KENNY.
04:36 PM on 03/08/12
anamericangod
User Info.
Also:

Lakes
Limbeck
The Forecast
04:36 PM on 03/08/12
mattplayscheap
plays with squirrels
User Info.
Story So Far, nothing to lose, giants at large, city lights, color morale, morning of, our last night
04:38 PM on 03/08/12
guitarguy211
The Starship Renegade
User Info.
Great call on Marianas Trench--I was really surprised to find that theyre actually kinda big in Canada...but nobodies here.

Hey Kenny...+1 vote for FF.
04:39 PM on 03/08/12
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
User Info.
Dave Hause - Resolutions...most overlooked album of 2011.
cwhit412
don't ask
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Take One Car, Coyote Theory, Silent Old Mountains, Now, Now, Mansions, Jukebox The Ghost, Ernest Gonzales.
cwhit412
don't ask
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great call on Marianas Trench--I was really surprised to find that theyre actually kinda big in Canada...but nobodies here.

Hey Kenny...+1 vote for FF.
They're pretty much All Time Low caliber huge in Canada. It's crazy.
04:40 PM on 03/08/12
Jake Denning
User Info.
Best Coast is already huge amongst the p4k crowd.
again...they should be much bigger.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version