Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 395
10:56 AM on 03/11/12
scissrmetmbr
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Not the biggest fan of Kickstarter and all the bands that exploit it, but these guys are doing it right, and it was a good idea to write the blog with all the breakdowns of how they'll be spending the money. Being open and honest when dealing with that kind of money and all the people who are donating is key. Good luck to these guys.
10:56 AM on 03/11/12
SamKS
ribbons and sugar
User Info.
Even then, they said that they needed $10k for a 2 week west coast tour. I've tour managed The Summer Set, NeverShoutNever and The Word Alive. I think when I first left with The Summer Set, we had about $800 on us and went on tour for a month. This seems like they want to rent a bus for the tour which is fucking stupid for a band of their status.

EDIT: I'm looking at old expense reports and the total cost for The Summer Set to do a 6 week tour (Entire US) as an opening band was a little over $12,000. I am pretty positive what they did was say it costs them $10,000 every two weeks but didn't include what they average on merch a night and what their guarantees are.
Clearly you didn't read the blog he posted...
10:57 AM on 03/11/12
The Revisionist
Loves shittyass pop music
User Info.
Fight!!!
10:59 AM on 03/11/12
March_Faster!!
まくどなるどなしじゃいきられない。
User Info.
Why should anyone else give a shit what another band is trying to do in order to get their music out there? There are no guns-to-the-temple saying, "give us your money bitch!". As for the "stealing money" claim, again...no one is being forced to do anything. If the fans didn't feel like it was worth it, whatever the price, then they wouldn't cough up the dough. They'd be like, "yo, we dig your music, but you guys are outta your mind with this shit". Fuck, and I've never even heard these dudes before.
11:00 AM on 03/11/12
March_Faster!!
まくどなるどなしじゃいきられない。
User Info.
People are so dumb. I love this band and anyone who follows them , their blogs, etc, knows they wouldn't cheat their fans out of money. They're just awesome guys that love what they do. It sucks that he even had to explain everything like this, but I'm glad he did.
Never even heard their music and I'm with you after reading all this nonsense.
11:00 AM on 03/11/12
himynameisjm
IM THE SHIT
User Info.
fuck the haters, and fuck Mixtapes. what a sorry ass band (and band name) eat a dick
11:02 AM on 03/11/12
xName Takenx
User Info.
I'm sorry but 20 bucks (30 as I'm french) for the cd only shipped to me is ridiculous. It's really stealing money from the fans...
I pleged for Strange Vacation's Kickstarter project : for 40 bucks, I have the vinyl version of Chasm, the cd version in a digipack, a tank top, and B sides....
And frankly, Classic Crime's rewards are really cheap IMO.
Strange Vacation is AWESOME. can't wait to get their stuff!

Can someone explain to me what the fuss is about?? are people bent out of shape over the offerings of the pledges, or is there something i'm missing?

Edit: Ahh, i just read the blog post. I don't know the band, never listened to them, so completely unbiased here. The band can put up whatever the fuck they want for pledges. If you think it's "cheap" or "bullshit' DON'T FUCKING PLEDGE.
11:05 AM on 03/11/12
gjpinizz
Life With People
User Info.
so what happened?
11:08 AM on 03/11/12
PermanentTourists
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Mixtapes: "I've never even seen 40,000 :(((("

Who fucking cares? When you establish a bigger fan base, or perhaps make listenable music, then more people will come to your shows, support your band. Meanwhile you just look like assholes.
11:09 AM on 03/11/12
defy_stars
midnight nuisance
User Info.
I'm not judging The Classic Crime for what they're doing.

And it's great that they explained themselves, maybe now people will shut up.

How can you have an "opinion" if you don't know the full story. You look like an idiot.

And what would I know about their circumstances? Not just because I'm not a touring musician, but I'm not living their lives and I'm not in their shoes. Situations are different for everyone.

They don't have much, they want to keep putting out music, go on tour, and support their families. They don't have the backing of a record label to aid them.

Kudos to them and their awesome fans. No one is being forced to donate or being bribed into doing so, so the aggression towards them is unnecessary.
11:12 AM on 03/11/12
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
That being said, i'm also a fan of Mixtapes being able to voice their opinion, although I don't necessarily agree with it.

Also the dude from Joie de Vivre. I'm sure there are others.
11:15 AM on 03/11/12
Sfudgie1985
User Info.
People need to remember that you are not buying the rewards. When you donate money to anything on kickstarter you aren't doing it to buy a package of goods, and if you are you are doing it for the wrong reasons. Backing someone on kickstarter is done to support something or someone you believe in. To help them accomplish a goal they are trying to reach. The rewards are their way of saying thank you for the help. If you want to help The Classic Crime (or anything else on kickstarter) because you believe in them and want to help them achieve their goal of continuing on as a band then send them some support. if you just want their next CD then wait for release and grab it on amazon or iTunes. People need to stop looking at the rewards as some kind of preorder package.
11:23 AM on 03/11/12
youenvydoug
#FREETHETVAG
User Info.

This is what Mixtapes were basing their opinions off of (for those who have not seen it).

I just think The Classic Crime could have wrote a better status and not make it seem like they were planning to stay at a five star hotel every night.

I can see why a band could see that, get outraged without trying to figure out the whole story first, and say how they feel.
11:29 AM on 03/11/12
cubs223425
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

This is what Mixtapes were basing their opinions off of (for those who have not seen it).

I just think The Classic Crime could have wrote a better status and not make it seem like they were planning to stay at a five star hotel every night.

I can see why a band could see that, get outraged without trying to figure out the whole story first, and say how they feel.

Yeah, the status might seem a little off, but the 4- and 6-week tours are on $10,000 increments, so you can figure it out pretty easily that the 2-week tour is $10,000 as well.

Oh, and they provided the link to the Kickstarter, so if Mixtapes was too lazy to click the link and be informed, then they deserve to be pelted with yellow snowballs.
11:31 AM on 03/11/12
cubs223425
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Even then, they said that they needed $10k for a 2 week west coast tour. I've tour managed The Summer Set, NeverShoutNever and The Word Alive. I think when I first left with The Summer Set, we had about $800 on us and went on tour for a month. This seems like they want to rent a bus for the tour which is fucking stupid for a band of their status.

EDIT: I'm looking at old expense reports and the total cost for The Summer Set to do a 6 week tour (Entire US) as an opening band was a little over $12,000. I am pretty positive what they did was say it costs them $10,000 every two weeks but didn't include what they average on merch a night and what their guarantees are.

Since you missed it (read: You didn't read the blog post), they mentioned that they needed to spend $5,000 just to fix their van and trailer, so the 2-week tour is only about $5,000. Oh, and they're supporting families (and taking time off from their real world jobs) to do this. Read the blog post (on the Kickstarter page linked in the news). They explained themselves very well, and I hope they get one hundred BILLION dollars!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos