AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

Actions! - 03.13.12

Interviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (03/13/12)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Actions!

http://www.facebook.com/actionsuk

1. How did you get your band name?

Mat (bass) came up with it, the name suits the upbeat, fast-paced music we play. It is also the name of an album by a band we are big fans of (My Awesome Compilation).

2. How did this band get started?

We (Ryan, Moz and Mat) were looking for a new project after a previous band fell apart. We received a tip off from a close friend recommending Emily’s vocal ability. After a few practices and 300 mile round trips, we decided that she fit the bill perfectly, not just from a musical point of view but as a friend as well.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

As a band we are influenced by so many different bands, and we all listen to different styles of music. There are a few I think we can all agree on though, such as Nirvana, Blink-182, Dashboard Confessional, Brand New and The Starting Line. Going back a bit I’d even say we are influenced by The Rolling Stones, and of course, The Beatles.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

That’s a tough one. As I said we’re all influenced by different types of music. I think we’d have to say Nirvana. I cant imagine anything better than opening for them every night in front of the crowds they used to play in front of and then getting to see them for free every night as well? What could be better?

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Emily is a vegetarian which makes eating on the road tough for her, however there’s a little Mexican takeaway in Brighton which caters for vegetarians and we all adore it. I think we’d all happily eat Mexican throughout a two week tour, but I think our waistlines and bowels would suffer big time! Apart from that we usually try to stop at Emily’s Mum’s house if we’re in the area. She is an amazing cook and we always leave with hands full of cakes and sandwiches!

6. Why should people listen to your band?

I think we offer something fresh and unique. Emily’s vocals and lyrics are different to the run of the mill pop-punk style that is so often replicated. We aim to play catchy songs with lyrics you can relate to.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

I would say David Beckham. He is still a top athlete considering his age, and he relishes every time he plays. He has had a great career and in England is thought of by most as a legend. He also does well with the women which we (Ryan, Mat, Moz) envy.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

If we won a grammy, I think we’d thank our parents, especially Ryan’s as they’ve really helped us out. I think we’d also have to thank anyone who’d bought anything we’d ever released or came to a show!

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

That smaller bands don't get to play bigger shows without having to buy-on to shows and tours. Unfortunately it seems that in the industry at the moment without tons of cash it's very hard to get into all the right places, regardless of how good you are!

10. Memorable tour experience?

Where do we start!? The most memorable (not for the right reasons!) has to be when we played a show in Oxford and ended up having to call out the AA as we locked our keys in the van. We had all been drinking all evening and planned to sleep roadside in the van and now we couldn't even get in! One call to the AA and 3 hours later we were back in the van, thank god it was the summer!

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

AP is great online source for new music as well as reading interviews and reviews from established artists, as a band we definitely feel that AP sets the marker for Rock/Punk webzines and to be featured on it is a real honour!

12. What is your favorite song to play?

We enjoy playing the whole set every night when we're on the road, however I think our upcoming single "South of the Water" is our favourite to play due to the emotion put into writing the track. It's the kind of song that all four of us will sing every word to the crowd when we're playing it. The other songs possibly have more energy within them but I'd say "South of the Water" is easily our favourite to play.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

We're happy with anywhere with sun, a beach and beer! In the UK I would say Brighton is the spot for us. We practice there a lot and Emily lives there. For us it's a three hour drive, but it's such a diverse city with a great nightlife. In the summer I'd happily stay there for weeks on end, or at least until the bars shut!

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Because we grew up in the 90's, I'd say Ricky Martin, The Spice Girls and possibly a bit later on The Offspring, all awful except for the latter. We grew up in the MTV Generation where it was cheesy pop on every music channel, I have no idea how we made it this far without covering "Livin' la Vida Loca"!

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Invisibility, surely - being able to sneak about and do whatever you want without being seen? I'd probably go backstage every time an established band came to town and "accidentally" slip our CD in to their dressing room!

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Apart from discussing the set, which songs we're going to play, which ones we're not, etc., we don't really have any rituals.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

We play (and record) in Drop C Sharp. Many find this a surprise as we're not particularly heavy. We find this gives our songs more of a drive, and again, we feel this makes us unique, as not many female fronted pop/rock bands would take that risk. We feel it has payed off though!

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

We listen to the radio when we're on the road. It's great to hear our national (and even some regional) radio stations are playing more alternative music. For us, this is a good thing and we think we could offer listeners something different whilst still staying radio friendly.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

We all have different hobbies, Moz is a keen downhill racer whereas Mat plays football weekly, Ryan and Emily have their own hobbies but like the majority of bands most of our time is spent songwriting and promoting the band via social networks.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

Out of the four of us, Emily is the only one who can pour a pint! Also, Ryan is a qualified truck driver. Who would have guessed it?!

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News