Password

Album Review

Barely Blind - The Way We Operate Album Cover

Barely Blind - The Way We Operate

Reviewed by
Barely Blind - The Way We Operate
Release Date: August 28th, 2007
Label: TDR Records
Among all the pop punk bands we see come and go nowadays, it's good to see members of much more defined bands seek and help talented bands come into their own. This is the case with the Groves, TX quartet, Barely Blind, which was produced by Punchline's Steve Soboslai. The band is quirky pop punk at it's best and Soboslai's hand in it just made it all the better. Their debut EP, The Way We Operate has gone on many deaf ears and their tour they've been embarking on might only be kind of semi-successful, but you have to hand it to these guys that they're going to be a band to look out for in the future. Now onto the actual review.

It all begins with a straight up song about teenage angst called "Life On Wilson Street" where vocalist Brad Cuccio chants "What the hell happened to me? This isn't what we wanted". One of the most solid songs on the EP is "Pariah" which showcases some very Punchline-esqe guitar parts and acts as another angry song, where they even talk as far as torture. Whatever these girls (or whoever) did to these guys, they better watch out. My favorite track on the EP is definitely the song that acts as the title track, "Crazy" where Steve Soboslai actually does guest vocals (he also helped write the song), which acts as one of my favorite tracks Soboslai has ever done. His and Cuccio's dueting vocals goes great with the song. If there's any track you should check out, it's that number. "97 Called" is another track of teenage angst and frustration. The chorus speaks for itself "'Cause this just isn't me, baby, watch my head spin, can you hear me scream? This just isn't me, baby can you see me, I'm falling apart at the seams". I did forget to mention that Cuccio and guitarist Caanan Davis share the vocalist duty on different tracks. Davis does them on "97 Called" and "Crowded Room". The most sound track on the whole EP is the final track, "The Way Out" and is a perfect track to keep your anticipation up for their next release.

The Way We Operate is by no means a perfect record, but if you listen to any bands work that they had before they got signed/popular, this is what this sounds like. They look like they're going to be one of those bands in 5 years that everyone was like "Man, I got their EP back in the day and this band is EVERYWHERE now". But secretly, this wont be true, you'll actually only have gotten it off an internet torrent site and burned it to a cd because it'll become a rarity, and you'll have been too busy running around with those bands that have made "it" to realize that these guys are a piece of coal waiting to be cut into a diamond (not saying that your a piece of coal guys). Now that I've managed to look dumb with bad metaphors, go check out Barely Blind, the band you'll be saying "Damn Nathan Lint was right" to in only a few short years.

Recommended If You LikePunchline, How To Get Kicked Out Of The Mall, Major Motion Picture, Long Stories Short (hopefully someone gets these)

Additional InformationTrack Listing
1. Life On Wilson Street
2. Pariah
3. Crazy
4. Crowded Room
5. 97 Called
6. The Way Out

Myspace ; Order the album

This review is a user submitted review from Nathan Lint. You can see all of Nathan Lint's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
09:33 AM on 09/19/07
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
I love this E.P.
I've watched these guys grow as musicians over the last four years, and this album is by the most creative and original thing they could write.
Im proud of them.
12:35 PM on 09/19/07
royaltannenbomb
Brian Tannenbaum
User Info.
they are legit
02:25 PM on 09/19/07
sohos
User Info.
good band, good EP.
10:13 PM on 09/19/07
Cliffzilla
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
These dudes a fucking awesome.
02:50 PM on 09/20/07
rosematter
myspace.com/rosematter
User Info.
I love the major motion picture reference. Also love this band.
05:45 PM on 09/20/07
isurrender
User Info.
great band!
07:15 PM on 09/20/07
huckleberry
Play Ultimate!
User Info.
sounds pretty good, might pick it up
08:14 PM on 09/27/07
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
i heard the a game might be gay. Is this true?

Why yes, yes they are.
01:07 PM on 05/09/09
brownymix13
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i bought their EP, didn't download it =)

these guys are AMAZING. I've seen them 3 times live, and plan on seeing them at LEAST two more this summer. They are great guys, AWESOME musicians and performers, and their cd is amazing. I already pre-ordered their "My Life With A Giant" that comes out June 2nd. I'm looking forward to everything they have going for them in the future, they're great =)

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos