Male - 21 Years Old
I will laugh so hard if it turns out to be justifiable self defense
08:52 AM on 03/25/12 
User Info.
Numero10
No al calcio moderno
IRL
Male - 20 Years Old
Even if it was true that Trayvon punched the guy, that wouldn't justify chasing him and shooting him. I'm pretty sure chasing and shooting a person isn't self defense.
08:58 AM on 03/25/12 
User Info.
SgtSmegma
When I fly solo, I fly so high
Fayetteville, AR
Male - 27 Years Old
Even if it was true that Trayvon punched the guy, that wouldn't justify chasing him and shooting him. I'm pretty sure chasing and shooting a person isn't self defense.

If there really was blood spattered on his face and head it would indicate that he didn't chase him down and shoot him
09:20 AM on 03/25/12 
User Info.
Numero10
No al calcio moderno
IRL
Male - 20 Years Old
If there really was blood spattered on his face and head it would indicate that he didn't chase him down and shoot him
Well we're taking it as fact that he chased him at some point, yeah? So what, he chased him and then Trayvon jumped him and started punching him? I'm not buying it.
09:34 AM on 03/25/12 
User Info.
SgtSmegma
Fayetteville, AR
Male - 27 Years Old
Well we're taking it as fact that he chased him at some point, yeah? So what, he chased him and then Trayvon jumped him and started punching him? I'm not buying it.

Idk, I just think we need more facts before people start passing judgment. It's easy to take one or two facts and connect the dots in your head and make assumptions of what happened. Certainly if Trayvon was retreating at the time the shots were fired then yes, there was obviously a great injustice done. Once forensics/ballistics information is revealed I think we will have a much better understanding of what actually happened. To my knowledge nothing like that is available yet.
09:49 AM on 03/25/12 
User Info.
Numero10
No al calcio moderno
IRL
Male - 20 Years Old
^ Pretty much.

Also, the article with the "witness" is dripping with bias.
09:50 AM on 03/25/12 
User Info.
Numero10
No al calcio moderno
IRL
Male - 20 Years Old
The New Black Panthers have offered a 10k reward for Zimmerman if anyone needs some money.
09:54 AM on 03/25/12 
User Info.
SgtSmegma
Fayetteville, AR
Male - 27 Years Old
^ Pretty much.

Also, the article with the "witness" is dripping with bias.

Yeah. It's tough to find anything impartial on the topic
10:30 AM on 03/25/12 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
http://i.imgur.com/0ShZ0.jpg?1
10:36 AM on 03/25/12 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Palm Coast, FL
Male - 27 Years Old

The dispatcher told Zimmerman not to engage - Zimmerman engaged, started getting his ass beat, so he shot Martin?

That's not self-defense, and if the 'stand your ground' law means you can come up on someone - then shoot them when they react? No, no, no, no, NO.
10:38 AM on 03/25/12 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
The dispatcher told Zimmerman not to engage - Zimmerman engaged, started getting his ass beat, so he shot Martin?

That's not self-defense, and if the 'stand your ground' law means you can come up on someone - then shoot them when they react? No, no, no, no, NO.

Even if that were the case, Martin would be defended by the same stand your ground law....he felt threatened and retaliated. Does this mean if a person retaliates against someone who is threatening them, the person doing the threatening can kill you and get off free?

Basically...what a bullshit law.
10:48 AM on 03/25/12 
User Info.
SgtSmegma
Fayetteville, AR
Male - 27 Years Old

I don't think anyone is debating the merits of the law. That's what it is an it can't be changed retroactively to apply to this case. Hopefully it will serve as a catalyst for some changes to it though
10:59 AM on 03/25/12 
User Info.
TK
Abstract Thinker
Oklahoma
Male - 23 Years Old

I completely disagree with this if the "engagement" that Zimmerman did was not physical or threatening. If Person A says something along the lines of "What are you doing here? I'm going to call the police" and then Person B retaliates in a physical manner, then it is self-defense.

I'm not saying that Trayvon did this or that Zimmerman isn't guilty--personally, at first I believed that he was--however, I think we can all agree that judgement should not be made before all the facts of the situation are present.
11:03 AM on 03/25/12 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Palm Coast, FL
Male - 27 Years Old
I completely disagree with this if the "engagement" that Zimmerman did was not physical or threatening. If Person A says something along the lines of "What are you doing here? I'm going to call the police" and then Person B retaliates in a physical manner, then it is self-defense.

I'm not saying that Trayvon did this or that Zimmerman isn't guilty--personally, at first I believed that he was--however, I think we can all agree that judgement should not be made before all the facts of the situation are present.

I'd be inclined to agree with you here...but, the dispatcher explicitly told him not to engage, that authorities were on the way...yet Zimmerman still engaged. With a handgun on his person.

Self-defense is a very, very tough stretch for me. In my opinion, Zimmerman gave up his right to hide behind the 'stand your ground' bullshit the moment he exited his car.
11:14 AM on 03/25/12 
User Info.
TK
Abstract Thinker
Oklahoma
Male - 23 Years Old
I'd be inclined to agree with you here...but, the dispatcher explicitly told him not to engage, that authorities were on the way...yet Zimmerman still engaged. With a handgun on his person.

Self-defense is a very, very tough stretch for me. In my opinion, Zimmerman gave up his right to hide behind the 'stand your ground' bullshit the moment he exited his car.

I completely agree he should not have engaged him, but again, to what extent was it? Also, and this is purely curiosity, but is there any laws against disobeying a dispatcher's orders?

Self-Defense will be based entirely on intent and motive of Zimmerman leaving his vehicle in my opinion. It is a very tough matter to decide and I personally am not a fan of the "Right-to-Shoot" laws. I think what can be said is Zimmerman is completely morally responsible for the death of Trayvon, but depending on when all the facts are present, it's a tough call rather he's legally responsible if the witness' report is accurate.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos