Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

SXSW 2012: Day 4

Posted by: Paul Tao (03/18/12)
A recap of the last day of SXSW is in the replies. You can find the first three days here. It was definitely one of the more memorable days, with performances from Trash Talk, Rick Ross, Kreayshawn, SBTRKT and more, as well as a massive A$AP Rocky brawl.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15
10:12 AM on 03/18/12
Paul Tao
User Info.
Paul TaoAfter days of meetings and work things, I finally tried to spend my last day of SXSW watching bands and doing the things that SXSW is meant to do. There were a few work things to do before my day started and a few other emergency emails to write, but besides that, it was all music all day long, and definitely ended with one of the most memorable nights I'll probably have all year.

The first act I saw was Fidlar, the LA punk rock act that I saw earlier this week. They were the first band at the Mess With Texas party, which is not an enviable position to have of course, but they did a great job of getting the energy level up for a crowd of clearly tired and/or hungover people. I hopped over to the FADER Fort soon after catch SBTRKT, who released one of my favorite albums of last year. He used live drums, a variety of electronic gadgets and machines, and live vocalist Sampha to faithfully recreate his album in a live setting.

I hopped over to the Thrasher/Converse party after SBTRKT was done and caught half of Mistah F.A.B.'s set, the Bay Area rapper who has been around for quite some time and is possibly one of the best freestyle rappers I've seen live (not like I've seen that many though, now that I think about it). The talent that F.A.B. possessed was made even clearer by how bad Kreayshawn was, who was the act following him. Aside from "Gucci Gucci," which is the only song anyone really knows of hers and is admittedly catchy as all hell, the rest of her material is pretty atrocious ("This song is about breakfast!"). Pass.

Back at the FADER Fort following Kreayshawn, I saw part of Pure X (I couldn't hear much unfortunately but it seemed to go well), followed by Nicolas Jaar, whose set was pretty amazing, although his electronic beats seemed to barely make an impact on the large crowd who was clearly there to see the surprise headlining act. Pretty much everyone knew that Rick Ross was supposed to be the secret act, so the crowd faithfully stood there bobbing their heads through an hour and a half of mediocre hype men and new acts signed to Ross's label Maybach Music. When the boss finally got on stage, everyone picked back up and the party started. Ross obliged everyone by playing his hits and I left near the end of his set as I needed to finally grab a bite to eat before heading out later in the night.

A couple hours later, I hit up the Cantora Records showcase to see my friends in the band HAIM, one of the hottest new LA acts and definite SXSW buzz band. After HAIM, my friends and I went to the Spin shed to refuel on free drinks, and from the viewing patio of the shed, I watched a bit of Keane's set at Stubbs. I'm not the biggest Keane fan in the world, or much of a fan at all to be honest, so I was pretty meh on that set. Mumford & Sons were the secret band to play after Mumford but by that time I was headed out to go to the Vice after party around 1 AM.

I thought my night was pretty much done by this time and that I would just have a few drinks at Vice and head back to my hotel, but it was definitely not my fate that night. The first band to play was Trash Talk, one of the best hardcore bands out there right now. They started a pretty insane mosh pit (fueled by half music, half open bar), with beer cans being thrown at the band, from the band, and within the mosh pit every couple of seconds, transforming the floor of the part into some kind of primordial beer ooze for the moshers to slip and slide on. For their last song, made the pit run from the stage and to the bar and back, causing the entire crowd to split like Moses parting the river. During this last massive pit, a large trash can was knocked over, all of the trash was spilled onto the floor, and of course the moshers started throwing the can already everywhere, and while this was happening, Trash Talk's guitarist started climbing the speakers hanging from the ceiling on stage right, and at that point, their sound was cut and they were pretty much kicked off stage by security.

While I thought that would be the craziest thing I would see all night, I had almost forgotten that A$AP Rocky was playing after. A$AP has a reputation for his live shows (namely after he and his crew beat up a sound man during a show at CMJ last year), so if he was trying to refresh his image, he definitely didn't do it. Beer cans began to be thrown by the amped up and clearly drunk crowd and after multiple warnings by A$AP and his crew (they even stopped mid-song to tell people to stop throwing cans), one can in particular was thrown right at A$AP and his entire crew jumps into the crowd and a huge brawl erupts. Clearly, once people started mobbing them and there was a fist fight for a few minutes, the party was over and cops came and kicked everyone out of the building at around 3:30 AM or so. It was clear that the crowd was egging A$AP on, so it was almost just as much the crowd's fault for continuing to heckle and throw things at the crew as it was for the whole entourage to jump off stage and start beating the shit out of fans and vice versa. It was pretty much a Ron Artest kind of moment.

After that, there wasn't really anything else that could top that so it was off to bed to put another year of SXSW to sleep. I just can't beat that as a way to end my Austin trip.

Adam PfleiderI'm currently having brunch with No Sleep and Aficionado. It's been a long week. I have a lot of thoughts running through my head and not enough time to formulate them just yet. Last night's show was amazing, all the bands killed it. It was a great way to end my week. I'll just take this moment (since I'm typing this from my phone) to thank anyone and everyone for all the ups and good times through being sick all week and being stressed with putting on shows. The workings of SXSW got to me more this year, but it was the new friends and old ones in one spot again this year that made it worthwhile once again. Thank you. - love and respect
10:33 AM on 03/18/12
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
Oh ASAP you crazy/pretty motherfucker
12:09 PM on 03/18/12
Kuri44
Bank
User Info.
Best performances for sure were Fun. at Stubb's on Friday and Girls on Thursday! They fucking killed it! Was also able to check out Delta Spirit, Bear in Heaven, Keane, The Shins, The Jealous Sound, The Drums. And a showcase featuring some English Dj's like DJ Shiftee, Andy C, Flux Pavillion, Dirtyphonics, cookie monsta, crizzly, Tittswort, and Mistajam
12:21 PM on 03/18/12
8SlicesOfPie
http://dwhb.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Man, I really wanted to see The Shins and The Roots.
12:42 PM on 03/18/12
One Week Gone
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You gotta love trash talk!
01:51 PM on 03/18/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Quote:
For their last song, made the pit run from the stage and to the bar and back, causing the entire crowd to split like Moses parting the river
Haha. This whole recap was great. Thanks, Paul.
03:47 PM on 03/18/12
iaminsane20
SUNY Cortland '15
User Info.
Great review. I'd love to see Trash Talk and A$AP live.
03:50 PM on 03/18/12
trojanick
they all got boyfriends anyway
User Info.
I wrote about my (admittedly less cool) experience at SXSW here if anyone likes reading (a lot).
04:31 PM on 03/18/12
Paul Tao
User Info.
I just landed in LA and re-read my review - I apologize for some of the awful grammar and spelling mistakes! Clearly very tired this morning
04:43 PM on 03/18/12
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
It was sad to leave today. I got to see a lot of cool shows.

Andrew WK a few times
OFF!, Ceremony, Trash Talk
The Shins
The Cult
The Revival Tour
Driver F
Such Gold, Mansions, Aficionado
AbsolutePunk party
And quite a few local bands and many i'd never heard of before.
07:00 PM on 03/18/12
bamsamurai
smokin my kush, readin Corinthians
User Info.
Would love to have witnessed that whole ASAP debacle.

Also, breakfast raps are the best.
01:36 AM on 03/19/12
The Gunz Show
twitter.com/thegunzshow
User Info.
haha this was awesome. paul rules. fuck i wish i went this year!

- Gunz
01:35 PM on 03/19/12
andrew_upto11
User Info.
It was sad to leave today. I got to see a lot of cool shows.

Andrew WK a few times
OFF!, Ceremony, Trash Talk
The Shins
The Cult
The Revival Tour
Driver F
Such Gold, Mansions, Aficionado
AbsolutePunk party
And quite a few local bands and many i'd never heard of before.
I saw Ceremony too. That was pretty sweet.
02:28 PM on 03/19/12
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
I saw Ceremony too. That was pretty sweet.
Thrasher party?
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums