It came about after we had started kind of jokingly saying the media would have nothing to do with us and we'd have to go underground. I'll elaborate... A black market operates outside of established state power. A syndicate is a self-organizing group of individuals formed to promote a common interest. We made black market one word because we thought it looked better on shirts that way.
2. How did this band get started?
Long story short.... We all met through mutual friends in the Houston. We all liked a lot of the same bands, had equipment, and time to put into it. We started playing shows, recording, and touring.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
The two most important influences would have to be the Clash and Rancid. I would go as far as to say they are the two most important bands of the last 3 and a half decades. Both were able to basically write songs about anything. From horse track races to the music industry to the illuminati to crime to just having fun. And they did so while being musically diverse and without being contrite or pretentious. Both truly chronicled the human condition of the 20th century unlike any other. Period.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
See question #3
5. Best food to eat on tour?
In America- Bahn Mi (vietnamese sandwiches). In Europe- Kabab or Schnitzel.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
To identify with someone else that feels the way that you do. Thats why I've listened to bands anyway.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
James J. Braddock. He was a real people's champion.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Probably whoever finagled us into being nominated.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
That genuine talent and substance be honored and novelty be ignored.
10. Memorable tour experience?
We could easily write several volumes of books of these, but one that stands out right now would have to be showing up at 6am at the Virginia Beach Warped Tour (keep in mind we weren't on the Warped Tour. Just our own DIY tour), walking into the production office and saying to Lisa Brownley "Hey... can we play on the Kia stage or something?" and having her say "Let me check... Okay. You go on at 3:30 in between Gaslight Anthem and the Briggs". That was pretty cool!
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It means that people still care about music.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
A pretty consistent favorite of ours to play would be "Victorious"
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
NYC or Phoenix, AZ
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Credence Clear Water Revival, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Shape shifter. It covers all grounds. Wanna fly? Turn into a bird. wanna be invincible? Turn into a tank. etc....
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Haha... we used to do the Mighty Ducks "quack huddle". Sometimes we still do.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I didn't really go to school until the 8th grade.
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?[/b]
There might be a few stations left where airplay could expose you to an audience that would appreciate a band. But, we've gotten airplay on our local "Big" modern rock radio station, and it did zilch for us. There's less listeners and even less variety.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Go running, watch movies.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Thanks to being in touring bands for so long I've learned how to make some pretty delicious food with very cheap ingredients.
Check out the music video for Blackmarket Syndicate's new song, "Plead The 5th"! It's the first video from their new album And The Peasants Rejoiced which will be coming out 04/21/12 through Times Up Records.