Username
Password
Blog News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Blog
Inside AP.net

Fucked Up Guitarist Talks SXSW/Festivals

Posted by: Jason Tate (03/21/12)
Fucked Up guitarist Mike Haliechuk has written a piece on SXSW and similar festivals.
From the ArticleThe model established by SXSW, which has been replicated in dozens of cities all around the world, rests upon the premise that for the bands who perform, the potential for increased exposure to international music industry folks and fans is worth the sacrifices of time and money it takes to play these showcases. With Canadian Music Fest happening right now, it’s a good time to ask whether this home-grown festival is intended to benefit Canadian bands, and if a music industry conference in this city is really equipped to highlight what’s great about Toronto’s music community.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15.
12:01 PM on 03/21/12
StephenYoung
dumb
User Info.
"Toronto might be the greatest music city in the world"

Well, there's your problem.
12:14 PM on 03/21/12
BottleRocket
Roll Tide Roll
User Info.
This is probably as good a place as any to say I love Fucked Up. David Comes to Life was awesome.
12:59 PM on 03/21/12
Lueda Alia
User Info.

Tsk...

Have you ever been in Toronto?
01:14 PM on 03/21/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Fucked Up are the kings. Some of my favorite Canadians.
01:15 PM on 03/21/12
guitarguy211
The Starship Renegade
User Info.
So...he's saying he doesn't like SXSW? I'm confused.
04:15 PM on 03/21/12
craigboliver
I Am Shark
User Info.
Tsk...

Have you ever been in Toronto?
I back this, Toronto is pretty incredible. But Americans are lazy so they don't care.
06:16 PM on 03/21/12
My Ricochet
User Info.
So...he's saying he doesn't like SXSW? I'm confused.
Yes he is saying showcase festivals and their sponsors don't have the every single showcasing band's best interests in mind.

I love Fucked Up. I love this dude's guitar parts and tones. But I 100% absolutely disagree with what he wrote. I call bullshit Mike!
06:41 PM on 03/21/12
guitarguy211
The Starship Renegade
User Info.
Yes he is saying showcase festivals and their sponsors don't have the every single showcasing band's best interests in mind.

I love Fucked Up. I love this dude's guitar parts and tones. But I 100% absolutely disagree with what he wrote. I call bullshit Mike!

Thats what I was picking up from his piece. I disagree as well--festivals and showcases are a great way for smaller bands to get their name out in the open. You have to put in time at the bottom to reach the top (not saying his band hasn't)
07:05 AM on 03/22/12
HyperactiveYout
Your twisted change is normal.
User Info.
Thats what I was picking up from his piece. I disagree as well--festivals and showcases are a great way for smaller bands to get their name out in the open. You have to put in time at the bottom to reach the top (not saying his band hasn't)

Not to mention they're fun as hell. Sounds like someone is jealous of the bands getting big because of these festivals.
07:48 AM on 03/22/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Not to mention they're fun as hell. Sounds like someone is jealous of the bands getting big because of these festivals.

Fucked Up don't have to worry about "getting big." They are. Their last two albums have been up for the Polaris prize. They are probably the most well-known hardcore bands performing today. I don't know what you're talking about.
07:49 AM on 03/22/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I back this, Toronto is pretty incredible. But Americans are lazy so they don't care.

1. What a colossal generalization
2. Lazy about what exactly?
09:04 AM on 03/22/12
SuNDaYSTaR
[Pull The Trigger]
User Info.

I don't see the problem with that.
10:55 AM on 03/22/12
offtheropes
User Info.

What do you disagree with?

I think what he's saying is that these festivals are starting to become more about the "industry" and less about the artists and fans. Obviously the festivals have a ton of fan favorites (how else would they be so popular), but what's being lost is the local community flavor. Maybe it's the corporatization (is that a word?) of what used to be home grown, grassrootsy festivals. Here in L.A., I think about the Sunset Junction which has been getting a lot of flak because locals (used loosely because most people in L.A. aren't actually locals) feel as if it's slipping out of their hands and turning into something more corporate. It's an interesting debate because how do you keep a good product honest when there's a high demand for it?
10:29 PM on 03/23/12
Gumbyjag
Everything Evil
User Info.
love love love Fucked Up.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music