We Are Action - Rock N Roll is a Contact Sport

Reviewed by
We Are Action - Rock N Roll is a Contact Sport
Record Label: Indianola Records
Release Date: June 26th, 2007
A phone rings.

-Hello?
-Dude, you’re so dead... (click)

So opens We Are Action’s debut full length, Rock N Roll is a Contact Sport. The newest addition to indie label Indianola Records offers ten songs of catchy pop punk and rock n’ roll. Lee Dyees (From First to Last, Chasing Victory, Evergreen Terrace) and Jason Lancaster of Mayday Parade fame engineer and produce, respectively, leaving a slick, clean sounding record with just the right amount of dirty, raw parts.

The band, based out of Tallahassee, gained a pretty strong following under the name Defining Moment. When several members left to start up Mayday Parade, the remaining members had a decision to make; throw in the towel, or start a new band. Thankfully, they made the right decision. With a new lineup, they changed their name and began working on their debut.

The opening track “Chicago Fire” gives you a good idea of what you’re in for the next half hour - catchy pop punk with huge hooks, solid drums, and an emotional vocalist who doesn’t cross the line into whiney. “End to End” gives a quick breather with an emotional ballad and a huge, arena rock worthy chorus. “Your Girlfriend Gets Around” gives each member of the band a chance to shine, with spiteful lyrics, impressive riffs from both guitarists, a heavy bass line and drumming holding it all down perfectly. The real stand out track on the album is the scorching “Letters From Jason” which features guest vocals from Jason Lancaster of Mayday Parade. Vocalist Michael Wise urgently delivers the chorus, “I watched the world go up in flames / The smoke was thick, I was afraid / To lose myself in such a game.” The album does have a few duds, including the piano/orchestrated ballad “We Drank So Much We Sank Your Ship” which, despite the strong vocal performance of Wise towards the end, doesn’t really make up for the boring and even awkward first half of the song. About halfway through, Rock N Roll is a Contact Sport begins to lose some of it's momentum, with songs like "True Life: I'm a Hardass" lacking any real standout moments.

We Are Action aren't doing anything new or groundbreaking in the genre, but they’re definitely doing it well. I can see this band achieving big things in the future if they get the exposure they deserve, and Rock N Roll is a Contact Sport is an impressive debut for the Tallahassee quintet.

It should be noted that shortly after the release of the album, vocalist Michael Wise left the band to “hunt zombies” and was replaced by Daniel Lancaster (Ex-Save it for Sunrise).
This review is a user submitted review from I am Mick. You can see all of I am Mick's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
11:24 PM on 09/25/07
adam289
all lost in the supermarket
User Info.
pretty good cd. chicago fire is a fucking mad song
01:03 PM on 10/01/07
Spitalfld
Mr. Money
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great review, too bad they broke up
03:40 PM on 10/01/07
I am Mick
http://www.worncolors.bandcamp.c om
User Info.
great review, too bad they broke up

Um, they didn't break up. They're just taking time off for a bit because their singer is dealing with something.

thanks for the compliment : )
08:12 PM on 04/16/08
putu
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've searched trough google to find end to end lyric but I can't find any.

Can someone help me! Please !

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version