AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Blog News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Blog: SXSW 2012 (Thanks For the Ear Plugs, Now Just Let Me Enjoy the Show)

Posted by - 08:40 AM on 03/22/12
Last night I finally sat down to unload a lot of my thoughts on this year's South by Southwest music festival. You can read it here. Thank you to all the people and bands that continue to inspire me. To the industry, artists big and small, managers, publicists and anyone involved in the day to day out there - don't ever forget why you started your job to begin with. Never let the little naive kid who just wanted play a show or even attend one get smothered by the business side of things. Thank you and enjoy. You can read all of our coverage here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
11:46 AM on 03/22/12
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
User Info.
sorry it wasn't one of the best weekends ever...have a better one next time! good write up, either way
01:29 PM on 03/22/12
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
I just want to thank everyone who read over this today. Whether you had a positive thing to say or a negative one about how I'm a dick - that's cool, you're more than entitled to your opinion and I really appreciate you guys having some sort of response to this.

This year wasn't a COMPLETE black cloud. I saw a lot of really great bands and met a lot of really great people and got to hang out with a lot of friends I usually only see every once in a while.

Maybe I'm a soar thumb. Music just means a lot to me. I'm not saying sponsorships are a bad thing, they're a part of the business and they end up making a lot of things happen that won't otherwise come to fruition. A sponsor should just be a brand on the side of a stage or a free drink as a compliment - it should never overshadow WHY you're there to begin with and that's all I was trying to say through all of this. I'll always attend SXSW because a) it's in my backyard and b) there's always someone I want to spit ideas off of or a band to catch.

Thank you all again. It means a lot that any of you even give a shit to what I have to say. If you disagree with me, that's great. That's the power of having an honest opinion.
01:45 PM on 03/22/12
Phil507
Cynical and sarcastic dick
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Why is SxSw still necessary? Do bands really need to "showcase" in the Internet age. Whole thing is a huge circle jerk for advertisers and the music industry (and I say this as someone who WORKS in the advertising industry).

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos