AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

AP.net Chat: Josh Terry (A-Squared Management & Aware Records)

Posted by - 03:51 PM on 03/22/12
Update:The chat has now ended. Huge thanks to Josh for hanging out with us.

Starting at 4pm (PST), Josh Terry will be chatting in this thread. Josh is a manager at A-Squared Management & Aware Records, whose clients include Mayday Parade, A Rocket To The Moon, William Beckett, Mat Kearney, and This Providence. We thought it would be awesome to have Josh come hang out on the website for a little bit and talk about this side of the music industry. Ever had a question about how the industry works? Or how to get involved? Or what it's like behind the scenes? Now is a great time to find out.

Josh started his career when he was 20 years old by starting a management company and booking agency for bands in the southeast out of his college dorm room. Two of the bands he worked with during that time ended up signing major record contracts. After that he became a tour manager and worked for Howie Day, Jump Little Children and Motion City Soundtrack, while also maintaining his own management company on the side. At the end of the Commit This To Memory record cycle for Motion City Soundtrack, Aware/A-Squared hired him to join their management team and I've been there for 5+ years.

Josh will be chatting in the thread under the blue username joshterry. He's also on twitter if you'd like to follow up with him later: @joshterryaware.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 141
03:51 PM on 03/22/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Rules for Chat
Be respectful. Don't be afraid to ask questions, but make sure that you aren't crossing any boundaries of any sort. If you have any hesitations about posting a certain question, odds are you shouldn't post it. Disrespect will not be tolerated and will be met with a deleted post and a ban.

Double, triple, and quadruple posts will be deleted, along with posts that are overly modified to get attention. No extra formatting is needed; I'm sure they can read just as well as, if not better than, most of us.

If they doesn't answer your question, feel free to ask another.

This is not a way to ask them for favors, to ask them if they'll make your voicemail message for you or visit you at your house.

Have fun. The idea is for everyone to talk together and share in a collective experience.

Some Posting Tips
Obviously you need to register for an account to participate. It's free. It's easy.

You may want to add an avatar to your account. It's that little icon by your post and it makes you stand out.

The chat takes place in the comments section of this thread -- it's just like a regular forum thread.

To reply to a post, click the "quote" link on it - and then type your reply. Simple.

To post a new reply, scroll to the bottom of the page and use either the "quick reply" box - or click the "write a comment" button.

If this is your first time on the website, remember that it may take a little getting used to - but we hope we made the experience easy for even first time posters. Hope you have a good time. Don't forget to come back daily to see what kinds of things we have going on during the day. Or follow us on twitter or facebook to not miss any important announcements.
04:58 PM on 03/22/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Welcome Josh! Thanks for doing this with us.

I'll get some of my questions out of the way early:

What's it like working with William on his new solo project compared to the full band from before?

What are the biggest misrepresentations of band managers?
04:59 PM on 03/22/12
Aileen
Fatrick Plump no more
User Info.
JT, do you still own the KFC pajama pants you famously wore on the Vans Warped Tour 2006?
05:01 PM on 03/22/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
JT, do you still own the KFC pajama pants you famously wore on the Vans Warped Tour 2006?
Took me a moment to realize I share the same initials with Josh. I was thinking: wait, what?
krisakarcher
Music Fan?
User Info.
oh hey... guess this never happened?
yearoftheninja
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Mr. Terry, how important is it to have an awesome best friend?
05:02 PM on 03/22/12
Jake Denning
User Info.
Josh -- thanks for coming on the site to chat, we all appreciate it.

My question: What's the best approach one can take towards learning how to manage small bands and turning it into a job?
joshterry
A-Squared Management
User Info.
Glad to be here, thank you for having me.

I just signed William a few weeks ago, he was represented by Crush for all The Academy Is... stuff. William has been a dream client so far. He's very focused, he knows what he wants, and he has a built in fan base and a vision to get way beyond what The Academy Is... accomplished. Right now he's self releasing these EPs on his own label YIKE Records, so that means a lot of extra hours for him and myself also operating his own label, but the rewards are great, and the response to new music has been amazing. Lots of big opportunities on the way. I'm very excited for the potential he has.

As far as biggest misrepresentations of a manager, people I think tend to think that managers just go to show to show and are out partying with bands all the time. It's the opposite. I go to a few shows on each tour, but most of my days are spent getting in at 9 AM, working until 7 or 8 PM and then going home and working more. I talk on the phone 10-12 hours a day and answer hundreds of emails. Being a manager is a lot less sexy than it's made out to be, but I get to do what I love and work with incredibly talented and hardworking people. So I'm very lucky to be in the position I am in and working with the people I get to work with.
krisakarcher
Music Fan?
User Info.
oh wait its right now! hahah i didnt realize is was pst. sorry.
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Took me a moment to realize I share the same initials with Josh. I was thinking: wait, what?
I'd pay to see you in KFC pajamas
05:03 PM on 03/22/12
Aileen
Fatrick Plump no more
User Info.
Ha, I didn't even think of that!
05:03 PM on 03/22/12
thisisadisaster
RICK FROM ALABAMA
User Info.
thanks for doing this chat!

what is your best advice for anyone wanting to get into the business?
05:04 PM on 03/22/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
As a manager, would you advise a band signing to a major label?
05:04 PM on 03/22/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
My question is, how did you sign your first two clients, and what did you do with them until they got signed to major labels? What was it like managing bands from a college dorm room and then being in the front seat when they got huge attention and got signed to big contracts? Were you scared / nervous in the signing process?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos