AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 141
05:18 PM on 03/22/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
When they start getting attention from labels, or when there's realistically more work then they can do on their own. Too many bands get managers too early. It's kind of a running joke that bands get managers now before they learn to play their instruments. You don't need a manager when you're playing basement shows for $50, you need one when you need to start negotiating major record, publishing, etc. contracts and when you're entering into a level of business that you don't have proper experience in.
Haha, and in that case - your best friend from high-school is probably not the one to be negotiating those deals.
05:18 PM on 03/22/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
If you want to do it, don't do it for the money. Do it because it's the thing you wake up in the morning wanting to do, and it's the thing that gives you the most joy in your life. It takes a certain type of person to not only do this job, but excel at it. Every day to me there's something that makes me mad, or upsets me, but there's nothing I'd rather be doing with my life than what I'm doing at this very moment.
Like when someone gives your artist a bad review? Do you wanna strangle them?
05:19 PM on 03/22/12
joshterry
A-Squared Management
User Info.
What did you major in at school? Was it something that actually helped you in managing bands and starting your own business? Right now I'm doing journalism but I work at a record label and run a PR firm; I don't think I'll actually use my degree too much when I graduate. I am kinda wishing I had done marketing or business, but I don't know if I'd be working at AP.net if that was the case so I guess everything has its pros
I majored in Public Relations, and minored in Business. At the time I didn't think my education helped me much at all. But when I'm doing press releases or going over marketing campaigns, I use a lot of the communication lessons I learned in college. I think a college education is more important than people give it credit for. I think a basic knowledge of business is key too.
05:19 PM on 03/22/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
I haven't actually listened to the new William Beckett song. I should do this.
05:20 PM on 03/22/12
joshterry
A-Squared Management
User Info.
And sorry this is a double question but I don't want to forget to ask, what's your opinion on Kickstarter and other crowd funding platforms?
I love Kickstarter, and I think it's an amazing tool for unsigned bands who can't afford to make their records to allow their fans to fund them and create some exclusive stuff to give back to their fans. I fully back it.
ryanderson20
Ryan Anderson
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Next year I will be attending the University of South Carolina and majoring in Sport and Entertainment Management with a minor in business administration. Other than internships, what other things would you advise a college student to become involved in that will help them in gaining experience and getting a job in the music idustry?
joshterry
A-Squared Management
User Info.
Like when someone gives your artist a bad review? Do you wanna strangle them?
No, I get it. That's press. I want to strangle people when they are rude or disrespectful. That happens more than you'd think.
05:21 PM on 03/22/12
joshterry
A-Squared Management
User Info.
Next year I will be attending the University of South Carolina and majoring in Sport and Entertainment Management with a minor in business administration. Other than internships, what other things would you advise a college student to become involved in that will help them in gaining experience and getting a job in the music idustry?
That's where I went to college. Great school. Internships are key. I had 13 internships in college. Most of your competition is doing the same. Spend your time learning from people in the field that interests you & less time doing kegstands.
05:22 PM on 03/22/12
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
Other than the musicians you work with, who do you think are the best current bands or artists?
05:22 PM on 03/22/12
blink_my_robot
sunny menegerie
User Info.
Hi there!

I've done my share of interning with labels and currently run my own blog. I'm wondering if you had any advice for how I can "step it up" to make music more of a career instead of a great hobby?

05:24 PM on 03/22/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Seems the music industry is, like most careers, built a lot on who you know.
joshterry
A-Squared Management
User Info.
Other than the musicians you work with, who do you think are the best current bands or artists?
I love Delta Spirit, I love Greg Laswell, I love Priscilla Ahn. I'm a big fan of The Naked & Famous.
joshterry
A-Squared Management
User Info.
Hi there!

I've done my share of interning with labels and currently run my own blog. I'm wondering if you had any advice for how I can "step it up" to make music more of a career instead of a great hobby?

Where have you interned, how many internships?
05:25 PM on 03/22/12
hoorayitsdave
hooooraaaaaaaayyyy!!!!!!
User Info.
Glad to be here, thank you for having me.

Hey Josh thanks for doing the chat. I've heard some good things from Columbia College students about their experiences at Aware.

I know that there is not a job or career section of the website, do A-squared and Aware usually post job listings online or is it more word of mouth/internal hiring process?

Also any chance you know of any open positions at the Chicago office?
05:26 PM on 03/22/12
joshterry
A-Squared Management
User Info.
Hey Josh thanks for doing the chat. I've heard some good things from Columbia College students about their experiences at Aware.

I know that there is not a job or career section of the website, do A-squared and Aware usually post job listings online or is it more word of mouth/internal hiring process?

Also any chance you know of any open positions at the Chicago office?
We're such a small company that we only hire every 4-5 years and it's usually only if someone leaves. Every employee at our company was a former intern, so that's the only way to get a job at Aware. It's more of a culture to what we do.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos