AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Bled, The - Silent Treatment Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8.25
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.17
Musicianship 9.19
Lyrics 8
Production 9.04
Creativity 8.85
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.33
Average: 88%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Bled, The - Silent Treatment

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (09/25/07)
The BledSilent Treatment
Release Date: September 25, 2007
Record Label: Vagrant

Sometimes when you’re pissed off at someone, you’ll counter with no talking, interacting, or socializing with the one who angered you. So it comes as no surprise that The Bled’s third album, second for Vagrant, is titled Silent Treatment. For starters, the Tucson, Arizona quintet would like to silence their critics, whom criticized 2005’s Found In The Flood (including this very reviewer, who wishes that the majority of that album would have been left in the flood). Secondly, we find The Bled more pissed off than ever. Produced by Brian McTernan (Thrice, Circa Survive, Moneen), a better fit for the band than Mark Trombino was, Silent Treatment is an eleven track beat down.

Just for the record, I didn’t completely hate Found In The Flood. It definitely had its moments, but for the most part it just dragged on and on for too long. And, just for the record, I adore Pass The Flask. So I was a bit apprehensive with this album when I received it in the mail. Was I going to get the same droning sound from Flood, or would The Bled be the comeback kids and kick my ass? Thankfully, after just a few seconds of the opener, “Shadetree Mechanics,” I had my answer. James Munoz sounds like a man possessed, as his vocals absolutely kill throughout the album.

“You Should Be Ashamed Of Myself” is straight up intensity, as it is one of the many songs on the album that rediscover the sound found on Pass The Flask. “Asleep On The Frontlines” channels the eerie vibe found on Flood, as moody and atmospheric guitar tones and drum work circle around Munoz’s calm singing. It’s only till halfway through the track that The Bled knock you on your ass.

Of course, there are a few flaws. Some of the breakdowns seem tired and recyclable, while some of the tracks can blend together. But, this does not overshadow the fact that The Bled are back to their old ways, heard on tracks like “Starving Artiste,” which amps up the brutality, while “The Silver Lining” will leave you gasping for breath. The final two tracks will bring enormous smiles to all Bled fans, as everything you love from the band’s previous work is wonderfully put on display in spectacular form. “Beheaded My Way” is full of attitude and aggression, it’ll make you forget about the duds on Flood, while “My Bitter Half” will leave you begging for more, especially after the insane and frantic final minute of the track, in which the band gives your years one more fatal blow.

All I wanted to hear from The Bled was an improvement from Found In The Flood, and I definitely got that and beyond. Silent Treatment is sure to be a hit with those who acclaimed Pass The Flask, as this album hits hard and flows with the same intensity found on that album. Sure, The Bled aren’t reinventing the metalcore wheel, but they definitely perform better than the majority of there today, as the band have proved on this album, which is anything but Silent.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. "Shadetree Mechanics" - 3.17
2. "You Should Be Ashamed Of Myself" - 2.35
3. "Threes Away" - 4.09
4. "Asleep On The Frontlines" - 5.35
5. "Platonic Sleepover Massacre" - 1.06
6. "Starving Artiste" - 2.36
7. "The Silver Lining" - 2.18
8. "Some Just Vanish" - 2.54
9. "Breathing Room Barricades" - 5.00
10. "Beheaded My Way" - 3.13
11. "My Bitter Half" - 3.23
Produced by: Brian McTernan

The Bled are:
James Muñoz - vocals
Ross Ott - guitar
Darren Simoes - bass guitar
Mike Pedicone - drums
Jeremy Ray Talley - guitar

Official Website; Official Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 61
03:39 AM on 09/25/07
lew_1987
The desperation's gone.
User Info.
i agree with ben, i think their last album is really good.
04:09 AM on 09/25/07
namembal
Sing me spanish techno
User Info.
Love the album! I think this is gonna be in my top 10 this year.
04:17 AM on 09/25/07
youcomebeforeyo
yo'
User Info.
Definately think this album is better than a 80%. Can't understand how you can dig PTK over FIAF. I find Found so much more well written and intelligent. This CD is fantastic. Asleep on the Frontlines is one of my songs for 07.
04:25 AM on 09/25/07
x335x
Two-headed boy.
User Info.
i saw them live in a dirt pit in the pouring rain. very cool.
05:13 AM on 09/25/07
genericmadness
Registered Loser
User Info.
this album is so damn good, i'd give it 86%
05:15 AM on 09/25/07
neverender2113
dood
User Info.
"This is an average album and a real step back for the band."

i could not completely disagree with you more.
06:10 AM on 09/25/07
myworstmistakes
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
so excited to pick this up today! PTK is one of my favorite albums, but i do like FITF as well so i know this album is gonna be solid.
06:32 AM on 09/25/07
Zeran
Vampire
User Info.
this is much much better than found in the flood, which did have its moments, but overall was disappointing. glad to see the bled are back.
06:47 AM on 09/25/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
I absolutely hated FITF. Pass The Flask was amazing. I don't know, I just couldn't get into FITF, I respect people who do and I can totally see where you are coming from, I just didn't like the album nearly as much as Pass The Flask. This album is pretty good though. I really enjoy some songs and it's good to see the band back on track. Awesome review Drew.
06:50 AM on 09/25/07
Silver Bullets
All you need is love.
User Info.
Definately think this album is better than a 80%.

pretty good album... i'd say over 80% too, though
08:15 AM on 09/25/07
irthetyler
Coachillin'?
User Info.
good review and fairly accurate score. this is the best "scene" metalcore band out, period. i think this is a huge step back from where they were going on found in the flood, but it still has some good tracks.
08:36 AM on 09/25/07
rob2004
User Info.
Definately think this album is better than a 80%. Can't understand how you can dig PTK over FIAF. I find Found so much more well written and intelligent. This CD is fantastic. Asleep on the Frontlines is one of my songs for 07

so excited to pick this up today! PTK is one of my favorite albums, but i do like FITF as well so i know this album is gonna be solid.

PTK? 2 People calling the same album PTK, and not PTF. Is there something I'm not getting
08:45 AM on 09/25/07
boykosaurus
---
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
awesome band, awesome review, sounds promising...picking it up as soon as possible
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums