Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Thursday Discussion: Top 10 Favorite B-Sides

Posted by: Jason Tate (03/29/12)
Yesterday on twitter I was talking a little bit about my love for b-sides. Like most of you, I follow a few bands with an unbridled passion. With that comes the idea that I am adamant about collecting all of their songs and not missing out on a rare gem. My 140 character rant was basically about how it's more and more difficult to actually compensate an artist for these rare songs. Unless they end up releasing a rarities album late in their career -- most of the time you're stuck pirating the b-side songs. They're either buried on imports, come with digital only full purchases of the band's album spread over a variety of retailers, or show up on youtube and I've got no idea where they originated from. That's all really beside the point though. Sure, I'd love if there were easier ways to purchase these one-off "extra" songs ... but what it really got me thinking about was a great "Thursday Discussion" idea: My top 10 favorite b-sides and rarities.

As I began compiling this list - I started to realize that there are some b-sides here that I think are better than album tracks. Not certain that in every case you could replace an album song with the b-side, but in some cases -- it might have worked. Anyway, I could have made this list insanely large; however, I kept it to 10 and stayed relatively within the constraints of the music I talk about on this site the most. I did my best to find the songs somewhere for you to listen to, but that's not always possible. I'd love to hear your favorites in the replies -- and hopefully we'll all find something new, and awesome, to listen to. If you're looking for more b-side discussion, I highly recommend the general forum's b-side thread.

The Gaslight Anthem - She Loves You
NoteHonestly not sure if Brian Fallon is capable of writing a bad song. This one is so good that I just put it at the end of the American Slang album on my iPod so that it plays every time I listen to the album. It's those lyrics that just hit me so perfectly when he sings, "And if all is well, and your heart could find the words -- would be for better, baby? Would we be for worse?"

Listen

Fall Out Boy - Snitches and Talkers Get Stitches And Walkers
NoteFall Out Boy have quite a few b-sides that I've always really enjoyed. Quite a few of them seem to be a little more aggresive than their album cuts ... and this is one that I've always really loved. In a lot of ways it defines my favorite parts of Fall Out Boy.

Listen

Further Seems Forever - There Now I've Said It
NoteThis being the last song that Jason Gleason recorded with the band -- and listening to the lyrics -- just puts it on a new level for me. It paints such a picture, and those last 50 seconds are so damn good.

Listen

Jimmy Eat World - Open Bar Reception
NoteHonestly in my top five songs by the band. The lyrics are the kinds of things I wish I could write. It's basically the band showing off when he sings, "Drifting in and out a priest is talking, something about a body from a bone. A thinking man said I could never be, half as close to you -- as you are to me."

Listen

John Mayer - Tracing (Acoustic)
NoteYou may not be a Mayer fan, but this is the kind of song that can change your perception. The message and the lyrical content have always left me nodding in agreement. Something about the line, "And if you wanna know the moment I knew I was still alone, I found I never learned your number I only stored it in my phone, you'd think by now I'd know the shape of calling home." I've had this exact realization before ... and the song's stuck with me ever sense.

Listen

The Movielife - Sailor Tattoos
NoteThis song needs to be gang-sung with your friends. It's an acoustic tune that I have memories singing around the camp fire with my friends: "Long island's calling me ...." -- fuck, I miss this band.

Listen

New Found Glory - Radio Adelaide
NoteThere are so many NFG b-sides I could have picked here. They've got an insanely great collection in their catalog. For one reason or another, this one has always stuck out to me. There's something about the melody that gets embedded in my brain like a bad habit. That pre-chorus into the chorus is something of envy. Their b-sides are better than most pop-punk band's album tracks.

Listen

Yellowcard - Rough Draft (Acoustic)
Note"Like a Saturday night, I'll be gone..." -- I can't think of many acoustic songs that I've played more than this one. I can't think of many songs, period, that I've sung along to over the years. It's one of those songs that I'll forever associate with a certain time in my life .... and just hearing the opening chords brings me back.

Listen

A Wilhelm Scream - Route 40 One Six
NoteThis is what music should sound like. That riff, the energy, the chorus ... fuck me. Yeah, I don't need to say more.

Listen

Something Corporate - Watch The Sky
NoteIt would have been cliche to use "Konstantine," right? There are a few other SoCo b-sides I thought about ... but after listening to them all, this is the one I settled on. It's always had a special place in my heart -- long time members of the website will know why.

Listen

Well, there we have it -- my top 10 favorite b-sides. Looking forward to reading your lists ... and don't forget the b-side thread if you're ever looking for more discussion about going all Pokemon "gotta catch um all" on your favorite band's songs.

Runner Up: Taking Back Sunday's "Your Own Disaster" (prefer the rough acoustic version). Couldn't decide between this one or The Movielife one ... so, I'm cheating and putting this on the list anyway.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 248
02:49 PM on 03/29/12
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
Oh man, I can go on forever with NFG b-sides. Forget Everything, The Minute I Met You, Golden, So Many Ways.

Also FOB...Music or the Misery and GINASFS. So good.

WOO B-SIDES
valoo
User Info.
...My Nine Rides Shotgun
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
Thrice - "The Weight of Glory"
InfiniteArms
Foreign everywhere I've been
User Info.
Biffy Clyro - "Toottoottoot"
The Used - "Sick Hearts"
Fightstar - "Vincent (Don McLean cover)"
02:50 PM on 03/29/12
valoo
User Info.
Favorite Underoath song is actually a b-side: I've Got Ten Friends and a Crowbar That Says You Ain't Gonna Do Jack
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
User Info.
Is it still considered a bside if it has since been released on a b-side collective album?
gregplaysdrums
Drummer
User Info.
I agree 100% with your choice of Further Seems Forever. I love that song and Gleason. I wish he was the one who rejoined instead of Carraba.
Jason Tate
User Info.
...My Nine Rides Shotgun
"Brothers" or "Coca Cola" would have been my Brand New pick.
02:51 PM on 03/29/12
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
Moshi Moshi, untitled #1, fork and knife - brand new
Sal villanueva, your own disaster - tbs
Living room song/leaven house - TWY
Into it over it - don't let me cave in
Blink - not now, man overboard, what went wrong
Jimmy eat world - Jen
I am the avalanche - Conan o brien
Fall out boy - from now On we are enemies
Neutral milk hotel - engine

So many.
02:51 PM on 03/29/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Thrice - "The Weight of Glory"
"Motion Without Meaning" would have been my Thrice pick.
02:52 PM on 03/29/12
ffadam
Heaven Sent
User Info.
Funeral For A Friend do b-sides absolutely the best, 'You Want Romance?' and '10 Scene Points To The Winner', absolutely amazing. I agree on 'Watch The Sky' too though, probably my favourite song Andrew McMahon has written.
02:53 PM on 03/29/12
silentone
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is a GREAT list. And I love the bands mentioned, but to me at least a favorite was from a band called Secret and Whisper. They released this B-side called "Pixie" and to me its one of my favorite songs from them. I'm sure you can find it on youtube or something.
02:54 PM on 03/29/12
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Not Now // blink
Your Own Disaster // Taking Back Sunday
Konstantine // Something Corporate
Coca Cola // Brand New
What Went Wrong // blink
It's Ok With Me // Manchester Orchestra
Again // Man Overboard
Never Enuff // Mansions
Eraser // Park