AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
General Announcement News - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 32.
08:04 PM on 03/30/12
kazuma_ootaro28
User Info.
Always enjoyed reading the Tech Round-Up and learning something from it.
09:14 PM on 03/30/12
esposimi
H.E. Pennypacker
User Info.
OpenDNS
09:25 PM on 03/30/12
fbrrocks
Registered Member
User Info.
wow the ps4 wont play ps3 games so lame
12:23 PM on 03/31/12
bNz719
Know more.
User Info.
Yay!
10:02 PM on 03/31/12
CyberInferno
Tech Round-up Author,Chipotle Lover
User Info.
Very cool guys. Sorry I haven't been able to contribute. I wrote about half a dozen half-roundups and just couldn't get them done.
01:35 AM on 04/01/12
lp670sv
Go Sabres
User Info.
Facebook's less attractive hipster cousin?

Part of me feels bad for Google and this being basically the 3rd social network failure, but at the same time there really isn't anything enticing about the service that Facebook doesn't do, so it's their own faults

Facebook took how many years from it's original inception to take off and we're already declaring Google+ dead after one? When a record number of people are deleting their facebook accounts too?
12:32 PM on 04/01/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Facebook took how many years from it's original inception to take off and we're already declaring Google+ dead after one? When a record number of people are deleting their facebook accounts too?
Google+ is dead.
03:46 PM on 04/01/12
lp670sv
Go Sabres
User Info.
It's way too early to make that call. Facebook was founded in 2004. It didn't overtake myspace as the #1 social networking site until 2008. Google+ was founded last year. It still has 3 years to show some life. Facebook began to level off and in some cases even shrink as recently as last year [1] Google+ has been online for less than a year and only open to the public since September if you're over 18, January if over 13 (13-17 year olds make up 20% of facebook users so that's a pretty big market that has only been open for less than 3 months) Visits to google plus jumped 55% from november of last year to december. I don't see it surpassing facebook within a year or anything but there is zero evidence to declare it dead.
10:39 AM on 04/02/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
It's way too early to make that call. Facebook was founded in 2004. It didn't overtake myspace as the #1 social networking site until 2008. Google+ was founded last year. It still has 3 years to show some life. Facebook began to level off and in some cases even shrink as recently as last year [1] Google+ has been online for less than a year and only open to the public since September if you're over 18, January if over 13 (13-17 year olds make up 20% of facebook users so that's a pretty big market that has only been open for less than 3 months) Visits to google plus jumped 55% from november of last year to december. I don't see it surpassing facebook within a year or anything but there is zero evidence to declare it dead.
Facebook was starting from ground zero ... Google has their entire userbase already built in and can't gain real traction. Comparing the starts of the two sites is nebulous. Nah, it's definitely dead. The evidence is that no one uses it.
11:27 AM on 04/02/12
lp670sv
Go Sabres
User Info.
Facebook was starting from ground zero ... Google has their entire userbase already built in and can't gain real traction. Comparing the starts of the two sites is nebulous. Nah, it's definitely dead. The evidence is that no one uses it.
Facebook only took off because Myspace ruined itself it it's later years, something that facebook has been leaning towards (oh how everyone hates timeline). 5 months of open public release is not in anyway enough of a sample size to declare it dead. It could likely be a failure, there just isn't enough evidence to declare it dead already.
11:29 AM on 04/02/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Facebook only took off because Myspace ruined itself it it's later years, something that facebook has been leaning towards (oh how everyone hates timeline). 5 months of open public release is not in anyway enough of a sample size to declare it dead. It could likely be a failure, there just isn't enough evidence to declare it dead already.
That sells the innovation and execution aspect of Facebook short. Users always bitch about a new layout-change, then get used to it. Timeline is no different.

Besides no one using it? Even after it's been shoved down people's throats?
11:34 AM on 04/02/12
lp670sv
Go Sabres
User Info.
That sells the innovation and execution aspect of Facebook short. Users always bitch about a new layout-change, then get used to it. Timeline is no different.

Besides no one using it? Even after it's been shoved down people's throats?
when I first signed up for a facebook account no one used it either. The reason that no one used it was because none of their friends were on it. I was the first person in my high school to make a facebook account, I used it even less than I use google+ now because there was literally no purpose for it at the time, they had chat rooms and that was it. A few months later everybody had one. That was in 2008, 4 years after it's launch. It shouldn't take google 4 years since they are already an established company, but 4 months is just a ridiculous expectation.
11:36 AM on 04/02/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
when I first signed up for a facebook account no one used it either. The reason that no one used it was because none of their friends were on it. I was the first person in my high school to make a facebook account, I used it even less than I use google+ now because there was literally no purpose for it at the time, they had chat rooms and that was it. A few months later everybody had one. That was in 2008, 4 years after it's launch. It shouldn't take google 4 years since they are already an established company, but 4 months is just a ridiculous expectation.
They're the biggest website in the world ... if G+ was going to matter it would already have gained traction. It's nothing new. People aren't coming over to it ... there's no need. Not sure what else is needed to see this? Google was successful because they made a significantly better search product. They did not do this with social. It's why no one gives a fuck about Google+
11:43 AM on 04/02/12
lp670sv
Go Sabres
User Info.
They're the biggest website in the world ... if G+ was going to matter it would already have gained traction. It's nothing new. People aren't coming over to it ... there's no need. Not sure what else is needed to see this? Google was successful because they made a significantly better search product. They did not do this with social. It's why no one gives a fuck about Google+
How can you say people aren't coming over to it when the article you just cited said it's likely to gain 390 million accounts by the end of the year. A social network isn't like a search engine, it doesn't need people to function correctly. A social network without users is nothing no matter how good it is. The people have to come first, then the usefelness comes in to play. If you add 390 million people to google+ it could well be better than facebook but right now you just don't know because you can't test out all the features without people to communicate with. I'd like to have this conversation with you a year from now and see where it's at.
11:49 AM on 04/02/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
How can you say people aren't coming over to it when the article you just cited said it's likely to gain 390 million accounts by the end of the year. A social network isn't like a search engine, it doesn't need people to function correctly. A social network without users is nothing no matter how good it is. The people have to come first, then the usefelness comes in to play. If you add 390 million people to google+ it could well be better than facebook but right now you just don't know because you can't test out all the features without people to communicate with. I'd like to have this conversation with you a year from now and see where it's at.
Because the people forced to sign up for it -- that don't use it -- also count in that number. Just because Google shoves it down your throat and forces someone to sign up ... doesn't mean that person is using it or even knows they have an account.

It's an old facebook clone. If it was better - people would be there. Instead Google is doing all they can to trick people into using their shitty social network. That's annoying.

Do you work for them or something? Never seen anyone that's not a Google employee care so much about a product no one uses.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests